Are ultrawide monitors worth it yet?

I’d like to get a new monitor and I’ve been looking at  ultrawides. But I’m not sure if there are enough games that support 21:9 yet. Also, how exactly would shows and movies look on that type of display? Would the image be stretched or would they just play in the center of the screen? I really don’t know much about these monitors.

2 hours ago, Cooke said:

I feel like 1080p on a screen of that size wouldn't be ideal. I think I would go for the 1440p equivalent at a minimum (I believe that would be 3440 x 1440)

These are the ones i've been looking at right now. Pricey but G-Sync + some form of HDR are the bare minimum features im looking for if I were to splurge on a new monitor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097QF8CP3?tag=rtings-mn-r-third-party-prime-20&ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-Inch-Ultragear-Compatibility/dp/B08DWD38VX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PCXWCUEI15QK&keywords=LG%2BUltraGear&qid=1678480872&sprefix=lg%2Bultragear%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultra-wide-Gaming-Monitor-XG349C/dp/B0966ZFKJK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t4_B07YLGH9Q5#customerReviews

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I feel like 1080p on a screen of that size wouldn't be ideal. I think I would go for the 1440p equivalent at a minimum (I believe that would be 3440 x 1440)

These are the ones i've been looking at right now. Pricey but G-Sync + some form of HDR are the bare minimum features im looking for if I were to splurge on a new monitor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097QF8CP3?tag=rtings-mn-r-third-party-prime-20&ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-Inch-Ultragear-Compatibility/dp/B08DWD38VX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PCXWCUEI15QK&keywords=LG%2BUltraGear&qid=1678480872&sprefix=lg%2Bultragear%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultra-wide-Gaming-Monitor-XG349C/dp/B0966ZFKJK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t4_B07YLGH9Q5#customerReviews

Nah it's actually really good. A 30" ultra wide isn't as tall as a 30" 16:9. It has a higher pixel density. Games look really nice on it without sacrificing performance you would with 1440p. 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

If you're gonna spend a grand how come you aren't looking at the Alienware OLED?

19 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

If you're gonna spend a grand how come you aren't looking at the Alienware OLED?

I've heard good things about it but that shit is still $300 more. I don't know if I could spend almost as much on a monitor as I spent on my TV.

I’m on two 27” 1440p monitors right now but kinda considering swapping for an ultra wide. my hesitation is I like a second screen, especially for work. Not sure how well the ultra wide substitutes for that use case. 

12 minutes ago, Casual said:

I’m on two 27” 1440p monitors right now but kinda considering swapping for an ultra wide. my hesitation is I like a second screen, especially for work. Not sure how well the ultra wide substitutes for that use case. 

I use dual monitors all the time as well so thats something I looked into. It looks like there are tools out there that simulate having multiple monitors on one display. MS for example has one called Power Toys and its free

I setup the alienware last night. The screen is large, sharp, and the colors are fantastic. That said, I had read some issues about text quality and they were definitely accurate. The text has this odd almost fuzzy look to it, especially white text on dark backgrounds (which happens to be the SW theme I use). I will have to get used to it, while this is likely a great monitor for gaming and media its probably not the best option for general use.

21:9 support for games also still seems like it has a ways to go as well. I've only tried BF2042 so far and it looked great during gameplay, but suddenly decided to render in a small box with black bars on the side during the post match results screen which was jarring. I expect the average indie game to have some real compatibility issues with this aspect ratio as well.

So yeah its a good monitor but has some noticeable issues which is a bit unfortunate given the price. I think given the size it was worth it for me though, I needed something larger because I have a small couch behind me in my office and I want to be to use it while gaming, instead of just constantly using my chair which has worsened my posture over time. I also wanted a PC monitor that had decent quality HDR and the options for that are still pretty limited.

edit: The average youtube and twitter video has black bars on the sides which is also going to take some time to get accustomed to.

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I setup the alienware last night. The screen is large, sharp, and the colors are fantastic. That said, I had read some issues about text quality and they were definitely accurate. The text has this odd almost fuzzy look to it, especially white text on dark backgrounds (which happens to be the SW theme I use). I will have to get used to it, while this is likely a great monitor for gaming and media its probably not the best option for general use.

21:9 support for games also still seems like it has a ways to go as well. I've only tried BF2042 so far and it looked great during gameplay, but suddenly decided to render in a small box with black bars on the side during the post match results screen which was jarring. I expect the average indie game to have some real compatibility issues with this aspect ratio as well.

So yeah its a good monitor but has some noticeable issues which is a bit unfortunate given the price. I think given the size it was worth it for me though, I needed something larger because I have a small couch behind me in my office and I want to be to use it while gaming, instead of just constantly using my chair which has worsened my posture over time. I also wanted a PC monitor that had decent quality HDR and the options for that are still pretty limited.

edit: The average youtube and twitter video has black bars on the sides which is also going to take some time to get accustomed to.

How much better is it for gaming? I've been considering one. They look incredible for open world games with the wider FOV, but when you look at a corridor based game it looses its appeal.

I believe the Alienware monitor is based off of the new Samsung OLED display technology.

And those pixels are in a triangle formation, and what happens is that the green pixel is at the top, and the other two pixels are below it.

So what happens is that when you have something a fine and delicate as text font, in front of a large whitespace, or white font in front of a large black space, you can see the top row of green pixels running along the text font.

And I believe you can see a purple line running along the bottom edged of the text font.

3 hours ago, TLHBO said:

How much better is it for gaming? I've been considering one. They look incredible for open world games with the wider FOV, but when you look at a corridor based game it looses its appeal.

Im not sure, im about to install Plague Tale Requiem as I think thats going to be a good test of its capabilities.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

I believe the Alienware monitor is based off of the new Samsung OLED display technology.

And those pixels are in a triangle formation, and what happens is that the green pixel is at the top, and the other two pixels are below it.

So what happens is that when you have something a fine and delicate as text font, in front of a large whitespace, or white font in front of a large black space, you can see the top row of green pixels running along the text font.

And I believe you can see a purple line running along the bottom edged of the text font.

Thats pretty much what it looks like. I saw someone on another forum describe it as text looking like it uses Chromatic Abberation and I thought it was funny because thats basically the perfect description for it.

11 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I actually gave mine to my wife because I was partially concerned about burn-in risk as a work from home programmer and partially because it just wasn't a great monitor for dealing with all that text. I swap it back when I know I'm going to be spending a weekend playing a game, though. It's an incredible gaming monitor that you'll get use to and look at anything else as washed out.

• Upvote 1

Just loaded up a few of the best looking scenes in Plague Tale Requiem....god dayum :lawd: I had no idea this game could look any better but this monitor changed that. This aspect ratio seems to work really well for third person games as well as first person ones.

Tried the RE4 demo and it looked great too but I was getting pretty annoyed with the constant black bars. Every scene where control is taken away from you, even if there's no hard cut the game will decide to just plop thick black bars on each side. Requiem did not have that issue so I feel like Capcom could have done better here.

• aitch 1