High Cinema thread

6 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

@sugarhigh Okay, i saw it.

Shit was boring as FUCK, but not that horrible. 

man, you're dumb.

The Conversation is probably the easiest Coppola movie to watch, with the tightest story.

And its especially cool if you still appreciate old tech, the fact that there were people outside of law enforcement that were doing surveillance, and the fact that you don't see that many 1970's movies that are remastered and have good cinematography.

And its a subject that has become very relevant within these past 20 years.

AND its one of the handful of movies John Cazale ever filmed before he died.

I didn't even watch The Conversation until like 2-3 years ago, during the pandemic. And I instantly loved it and regretted for not having watched it earlier.

7 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

If you think the conversation is boring, you're gonna be fucked for major directors like Bresson or Dreyer.

Some of my favorite directors...I've seen almost all of Bresson basically. Joan of Arc is 1 of my favorite movies. :| Hell, even Coppola is one of my favorite directors. (You got me on Ozu if you asked though - his movies are like watching an old man drink tea for 2 hours straight). 

However, The Conversation was just fuckin' boring. It wasn't too bad. Lots of interesting potential. Good scenery sometimes. But just boring with how it played out. Sorry.  

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

and the fact that you don't see that many 1970's movies that are remastered and have good cinematography.

wtf? lol. there's literally thousands of movies like this. 

Anyway, Conversation is boring as shit. Interesting concept that could've gone a LOT farther. It's not too bad, just disappointing. 

I wanted him stalking the couple, surveilling people, and obsessing over everything on a human level. Instead we get a movie where he surveils them for 5 mins and spends 50 mins in chit-chat dialogue with other boring as hell characters. It didn't resonate with me. 

2 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

Some of my favorite directors...I've seen almost all of Bresson basically. Joan of Arc is 1 of my favorite movies. :| Hell, even Coppola is one of my favorite directors. (You got me on Ozu if you asked though - his movies are like watching an old man drink tea for 2 hours straight). 

However, The Conversation was just fuckin' boring. It wasn't too bad. Lots of interesting potential. Good scenery sometimes. But just boring with how it played out. Sorry.  

You are redeemed, my child.

• 2 weeks later...