official fitness thread 2024

So my bad shoulder is feeling the best it ever has. Im able to do multiple sets of push ups close to failure with minimal pain. Im going to progress to floor presses with light weights next, with the eventual goal being able to do normal bench pressing again.

I have to give credit to athlean-x and squat university on YouTube. Their shoulder rehab exercises (specifically the ones based around external rotation) have really helped. 

Also, I started doing machine rows with a wide grip (targeting the upper back) which definitely have had an effect. I think part of the problem is that my upper trap and rhomboid muscles on my right side were weak, and as a result they weren’t providing enough support and stability to parts of my shoulder including my rotator cuff. So strengthening those is important for shoulder health as well. 

just felt like making this post as it could potentially help other people suffering from similar shoulder issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah if i were to do this id probably meet somewhere in the middle of weight and volume. maybe like 4x8 squats. the reason i like this is cause i get to go heavy on squats and still get volume in with

I switched up to mornings a couple months ago. Mostly because I'd been wanting to try out a PPL split thats best as a 6 day routine and although I can usually go on my lunch, sometimes shit comes up a

Isn't this a standard diet in the motherland?    

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So my bad shoulder is feeling the best it ever has. Im able to do multiple sets of push ups close to failure with minimal pain. Im going to progress to floor presses with light weights next, with the eventual goal being able to do normal bench pressing again.

I have to give credit to athlean-x and squat university on YouTube. Their shoulder rehab exercises (specifically the ones based around external rotation) have really helped. 

Also, I started doing machine rows with a wide grip (targeting the upper back) which definitely have had an effect. I think part of the problem is that my upper trap and rhomboid muscles on my right side were weak, and as a result they weren’t providing enough support and stability to parts of my shoulder including my rotator cuff. So strengthening those is important for shoulder health as well. 

just felt like making this post as it could potentially help other people suffering from similar shoulder issues.

That’s great to hear. This is why I always add some kind of reverse fly or face pull at the end of an upper body lift. Those supporting muscles are essential. 

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Normal bench=barbell?

I don’t think I’ve done bar bench in 10+ years. Hurts my shoulders too. 

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

That’s great to hear. This is why I always add some kind of reverse fly or face pull at the end of an upper body lift. Those supporting muscles are essential. 

Rear delts ftw

6 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yeah I’ve been doing face pulls for a while. I have to assume those have also helped.

2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Normal bench=barbell?

nah for now I’m just going to stick to dumbbells

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Normal bench=barbell?

I have this mind set: if I can’t lift the weights from the ground and bench them, or lift them above my head, then I shouldn’t be moving  that kind of weight. This is why I only use dumbbells. I apply this logic with squats, lunges snd rows too. I was trying machines for a bit, but they will cause more harm than good long term, so I stopped using them. 

5 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I have this mind set: if I can’t lift the weights from the ground and bench them, or lift them above my head, then I shouldn’t be moving  that kind of weight. This is why I only use dumbbells. I apply this logic with squats, lunges snd rows too. I was trying machines for a bit, but they will cause more harm than good long term, so I stopped using them. 

Yeah we are of similar mindset especially as I get older.  

also agree for the most part on machines but there’s a few I hit on occasion because they seem to hit other parts. But I feel lazy using them 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Yeah we are of similar mindset especially as I get older.  

also agree for the most part on machines but there’s a few I hit on occasion because they seem to hit other parts. But I feel lazy using them 

Machines are fine for some isolation exercises. The fly machine (but in reverse for rear delts) feel pretty great. 

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I thought machines were generally considered to be safer than free weights because of the extra stability

yes and no. they are ok to mix with dumbbells and/or calisthenics. or during rehab with light weight. however, if one only uses machines to get huge, they'll find the targeted muscles will get stronger, but the assisting ones, used for balance, aren't. that can pose issues in everyday life.

now, if someone just wants to be fit (nothing crazy), machines are fine.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yes and no. they are ok to mix with dumbbells and/or calisthenics. or during rehab with light weight. however, if one only uses machines to get huge, they'll find the targeted muscles will get stronger, but the assisting ones, used for balance, aren't. that can pose issues in everyday life.

now, if someone just wants to be fit (nothing crazy), machines are fine.

yeah that makes sense. I only use a couple of machines so I that shouldn’t affect me much.

Outside of the wide grip row machine right now I also use the seated lateral raise one. I can really get some good tension on my side delts with an amount of weight that wouldn’t be possible if I used dumbbells

• Upvote 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

yeah that makes sense. I only use a couple of machines so I that shouldn’t affect me much.

Outside of the wide grip row machine right now I also use the seated lateral raise one. I can really get some good tension on my side delts with an amount of weight that wouldn’t be possible if I used dumbbells

isolation exercises are fine with machines/cables.