Handheld gaming is at it's peak right now?

Posted (edited)

The hardware has become amazing, Steamdeck which is not even the most powerful handheld kit and is outperformed other handheld platforms like Ally, Switch 2 included can run EVERY high end game. With Switch 2 we'll be hitting 2+gbps storage which is extremely close to a Series console SSD.

Hellblade 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield etc all run at a solid FPS like their console counterparts. They don't even to cut the framerate in half to achieve this. If we were to compare it to previous gens, it's the PSP being able to run Gears of War, Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2. Or the GBA being able to run GTA3 and MGS2 in an acceptable form.

Now we have huge ass 7"+ OLED screens, full controller buttons, comfy grips and what not.

I have never been this pleased with handhelds in a long time, and we are finally getting away from the position that handheld games somehow need to be gimped designwise, and that games need to be designed with "  portability" in mind, Leave that shit for the phone market. Now it's legit console level epic experiences. Fucking DS was a cancer on the marlet with its ghetto touch controls, and games that would never fly on a conso.le.

On top of the amazing handheld performance we get, there is always a docked mode for that extra juice which is just an amazing concept of switching on the fly.

As a person that owned the green/black Gameboy I just can't believe how far we have come

Edited by Playstation Tablet
1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

I really don’t see how this is any different than the original PSP and Vita outside of the industry changing.

Vita was a turbo XBox 1 with much more RAM. PS360 games were very downgraded on it, forget about that thing running PS4 games in ANY form.

I don't know what the power difference will be between Switch 2 and XBoy, but it won't be insanely huge and since XBoy will have the majority of third party support so will Switch 2. Plus chances are that Sony is also coming out with some sort of handheld.

23 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

PC gaming is on a incredible winning streak, and it's bringing handheld gaming along for the ride.

Nintendo is trash.

The best handheld games are exclusive to switch :tom: what a dumb ass take

3 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Lol no one in their right mind would trade the vast offering of games on PC for a few Kidtendo games and shit versions of multiplats.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

PC gaming is on a incredible winning streak, and it's bringing handheld gaming along for the ride.

Nintendo is trash.

My SD Oled is my favorite system. 300+ hours info it. 

• aitch 1
16 hours ago, Playstation Tablet said:

SD is weaker than Switch 2, has no DLSS even digital foundry says it's not THAT faraway from the Series S. Imagine what a docked Switch 2 would do for this game.

It would be worse. Congrats on hyping the absolute worst versions on games lol

5 hours ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Many great handheld games, like Helldivers 2 and Baldurs Gate 3 are not on Switch.

31 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I don’t like playing bigger AAA titles on SD. I mostly play older games and indie titles

It'll still be good for that long after Switch 2 is obsolete.

17 hours ago, Playstation Tablet said:

SD is weaker than Switch 2, has no DLSS even digital foundry says it's not THAT faraway from the Series S. Imagine what a docked Switch 2 would do for this game.

Why would you think Switch 2 will be in the same league as Series S? Nintendo has never made a true PS4-caliber game.