Looks like new GPUs are going to be stupid expensive

Depending on the item, the increase could be as much as 25%, which could make getting a new GPU very expensive.

Back in 2018, the US Trade Representative (USTR) issued a report in which it declared that "acts, policies, and practices of the Government of China related to technology transfer, intellectual property, and innovation were unreasonable or discriminatory, and burdened or restricted U.S. commerce." The result of which were import tariffs on a raft of products that were manufactured or assembled in China, including all kinds of PC components and peripherals.

However, in 2022, the current US administration created a list of exclusions for 350 products (graphics cards and motherboards being two such cases), intending to give the industry sufficient time to shift as much of the upstream supply chain and assembly duties as possible outside of China.

That's not been particularly successful and as reported by PC Mag, the USTR has told the White House that it recommends that all tariffs should be maintained, including the ones that had been temporarily lifted.

At the moment, neither the USTR nor the White House have officially stated that they will reinstate all tariffs nor provided any indication as to when it could happen.

eh, most AAA-budget titles don't do it for me anymore. i'll stick to my SD and consoles. i barely even play my consoles now. i got that month of GP for hb2, and i probably won't have time to play anything else.

It's been obvious for a while now that high GPU prices are here to stay.

I'll be sticking with my 4090, maxes out every game easily and I get triple digit framerates even in 4K.

I won't be upgrading again till the 6090 or 7090. The 5090 is useless to me and will be going for rip-off prices.

I have no intention of giving Nvidia more money for a useless upgrade.

4 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

It's been obvious for a while now that high GPU prices are here to stay.

I'll be sticking with my 4090, maxes out every game easily and I get triple digit framerates even in 4K.

I won't be upgrading again till the 6090 or 7090. The 5090 is useless to me and will be going for rip-off prices.

I have no intention of giving Nvidia more money for a useless upgrade.

i may look into the 5070 when that drops.

• Upvote 1

They're already stupid expensive. Less than 10 years ago you could get a top of the line card for $500. Now you need to spend double that if not more just to be on a similar level.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

They're already stupid expensive. Less than 10 years ago you could get a top of the line card for $500. Now you need to spend double that if not more just to be on a similar level.

PosC gaming in a nutshell.