This makes me really excited about the new Gears

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

https://x.com/IGN/status/1800483388924613116

The first game is still my favorite in the series because of the darker, more atmospheric moments. If they can emulate that vibe with this one then it will be fantastic.

The first is the best. Godly game. It was the first true next gen game for the 360/ps3 era. I probably beat it like 5 times.

• aitch 1

I bought a 42 inch rplcd Sony 720p TV specifically for this game. Idr what year that was...but the TV was 2000 bucks. I paid in cash at circuit city and they had to have the manager come out and count the money lmao.

But holy shit. I was so fucking blown away with this game. My friends would come to my apartment and we would just play it over it over.  I have no clue how many times we beat this game.

I don't think any game will ever live up to the moment that gears 1 gave me.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I bought a 42 inch rplcd Sony 720p TV specifically for this game. Idr what year that was...but the TV was 2000 bucks. I paid in cash at circuit city and they had to have the manager come out and count the money lmao.

But holy shit. I was so fucking blown away with this game. My friends would come to my apartment and we would just play it over it over.  I have no clue how many times we beat this game.

$2K for a 720p TV? :deadkoolaid:

Yeah lol. It was my first HD TV. I remember vividly watching King Kong on hddvd and playing gears :tom:

9 hours ago, JonDnD said:

i remember buying a 32 inch hd samsung for like 1300 as a kid to play this. i accidentally knocked my xbox over and scratched the living shit out of the disc, and just went out and bought it again because it was so mind blowing of a technical marvel at the time and it was fun as fuck.

HD TVs were expensive af back in the day. I was also never a fan of the bleeding red issue with LCDs. So, I bought the VGA cable and played it on my 19” pc monitor. It looked amazing with perfect black levels. 

Gears still pops into my head as an newish series but it's 18 years old which is absolutely wild. I remember it coming out very early in the gen and being a first showing of what the updated hardware could do and it was pretty shocking at the time, in a good way of course. 

12 hours ago, -GD-X said:

The first is the best. Godly game. It was the first true next gen game for the 360/ps3 era. I probably beat it like 5 times.

I thought the third one was the best, with the improved color palette. 

4th was just 💩

• Upvote 1

Going back to the beginning makes sense because the quasi-reboot they did with 4 is the least available gears game.  If they ever want to continue the series, they need onramps for a bigger audience. I bet a remaster collection including 1-4 comes out next.

On 2024-06-11 at 7:45 PM, JonDnD said:

I got a 65" Mitsubishi Diamond Series projection HDTV back then. Shit looked glorious lol.