So Xbox isnt going full digital and still have a disk drive model

27 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

word. only digital for me.

For real.

The only way physical could ever become the dominant form of game delivery again, would be if they actually develop a next-gen optical disc format that could store 500GB-1TB of data, and have a drive with multiple lasers that could read as a sufficiently quick enough speed to use the SSD as a cache essentially.. and games grew exponentially in storage requirements.

I think for games to truly wanting to push next level visuals, limited storage capacity of current gen Blu-Ray is definitely an issue.  An Ex-Naughty Dog developer even said as much.  They're hitting the limits of the Blu-ray disc, so textures will only be so good.  So if the new consoles came with a new storage format with MASSIVE capacities, it could force physical media to claw back and essentially re-establish it as standard.  Nobody would want to download 500GB-1TB games over the net.. nor would they want multiple big 500GB games on their SSDs either, that goes for both console and PC.  For PC it would basically be prohibitive for most of the market, so people would have to run out and buy this new optical drive for these new discs.

On one hand, that would be extremely cool.. but on another it's not likely to happen.  Now, games will simply scale up in size as digital infrastructure scales up, IMO.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tainted said:

I am 100% digital. I couldn't imagine having 1000 coverboxes in our living room. 😬

Hot take, you take the disc out of the cases and throw them away. Wow,  I'm a genius. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Hot take, you take the disc out of the cases and throw them away. Wow,  I'm a genius. 

You make me want to be a better man.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Who thought or even said that the Xbox Series X disc version was going away? What the fuck...

They probably expecting xbox to go away in general. 😆

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Youd be a fool to buy an Xbox game at this point. A disc is already dead. A digital download will die when MS goes PC-only.

Why would they die? And MS cant afford to go PC only. I mean they can, but They will want their software on as many devices as possible. I can see at the minimum MS creating boxes that can run their gaming stores and can run games at some level. I dont think Sony or MS will ever give up hoping to make some universal box that people do everything on for some reason. 

Edited by Mr. Impossible
1 hour ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Why would they die? And MS cant afford to go PC only. I mean they can, but They will want their software on as many devices as possible. I can see at the minimum MS creating boxes that can run their gaming stores and can run games at some level. I dont think Sony or MS will ever hoping to make some universal box that people do everything on for some reason. 

There's a way to make a PC that runs Windows games that behave like a console game. Think about how Valve certifies games as "great on deck". It's stuff like full controller support, controller icons match the actual controller, no launchers / splash screens before the game loads, etc.

MS is already running into publishers who don't want to make Xbox builds of games. The next Xbox will just run PC versions of games but work like you expect an Xbox to work.