Legion Go first impressions

I'll be honest, Ive barely spent a couple hours with it. 

Good: It's huge. It's impressive to have all that in a handheld portable. Beautiful screen. 

Bad: Battery takes way too long to charge. The stock charger is much too short especially for a device that eats battery. Shame on Lenovo. No one at the company had the beans to say the device is a battery hog and will need to be plugged in?  Or some dipshit in charge of finances heard the workers complaint and said I don't care chop 3 feet off the charger to cut costs? 

It's early. It's a gaming pc laptop with joycons and out of the box it's pretty lackluster. Maybe after some heavy modifying it'll start to shine but right now it's like someone gave you an iPhone in 1998 but the battery lasts 8 minutes. 

Actually that's being nice. IPhone was user friendly. This is literally just a laptop with poor battery life as of now.

Edited by poopy_butt
  • dead 1

That's what Windows power management gets you on a handheld.  Not to mention it's probably using up juice downloading and installing Windows updates in the background.

How long does the battery take to charge?  I've got a super fast 65w charger from my phone that I use for basically everything and while I'm not sure how fast the Deck and other devices accept charge at, it's pretty quick.

thats unfortunate about the charger. The cord for the Ally one is actually quite long.

if you're just in windows configuring stuff and running updates then make sure you're doing that at the lowest TDP setting. Also, for the Ally there are tutorials out there on tweaking different settings to maximize the battery life, create more efficient profiles, etc. I imagine there's similar stuff for the Go.

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

That's what Windows power management gets you on a handheld.  Not to mention it's probably using up juice downloading and installing Windows updates in the background.

How long does the battery take to charge?  I've got a super fast 65w charger from my phone that I use for basically everything and while I'm not sure how fast the Deck and other devices accept charge at, it's pretty quick.

I'll get back to you on charge times. It definitely had many updates off the bat. It didn't want to turn on at all when I got it. Had to plug it in, figured it was dead. Na. Arrived 49%. Asked for my wifi PW immediately after finally turning on. Froze after I entered it. Restarted but it remembered the PW. Asked me to log in / sign my life away / give away my children if MS deems it necessary. So far I can't find a "home" button on it, granted I may just be slow. So if you open something and it is in full screen, it's a puzzle just how to figure out how to get rid of it. I am good with windows if there's a keyboard but put it into no keyboard touch screen it's hard and I don't know yet if it's my inability to learn quick or they dropped the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

thats unfortunate about the charger. The cord for the Ally one is actually quite long.

if you're just in windows configuring stuff and running updates then make sure you're doing that at the lowest TDP setting. Also, for the Ally there are tutorials out there on tweaking different settings to maximize the battery life, create more efficient profiles, etc. I imagine there's similar stuff for the Go.

Yea if I plan on keeping this thing it'll Def take some configuring. Unfortunate cuz in theory this is a beast but out the door it's a bitch. 

I warned you about the battery. The good news is you should still get decent juice playing anything from Elden Ring and before. Cap the frame rate and lower settings. Cutting edge graphics like Alan Wake 2 or that Avatar game at full unlocked settings will crush the battery.

Also the Go should be way more viable than the Deck for docking to a TV.

Edited by sugarhigh

You could have used that money for something that doesn't suck tho. That thing will be under the bed when your desktop comes.

• NPC 1
2 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

You could have used that money for something that doesn't suck tho. That thing will be under the bed when your desktop comes.

If it doesnt grow on me I'll just return it. 

41 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

How do the controls feel? Is it as good as a first party controller? Are the removable joycons wobbly when attached?

They feel good. They don't feel amazing, like it ain't that first time holding a wavebird feel, but it's no xbox duke either. No wobble.