BREAKING NEWS: [The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

:mj: TLHBFR!!! 

:kaz: Lemmings are having a terrible week! Looks like MS is ready to officially abandon Xbox after their most disastrous generation yet!

SOURCE

t's been quite the week for Xbox fans. Microsoft's Xbox TV app recently arrived on some Amazon Fire TV devices, and with it came a clear message from Microsoft: you don't need an Xbox console to play Xbox games. Days later, Microsoft hiked its Game Pass prices.

Microsoft has quietly been saying you don't need an Xbox console for years with its day-one releases of Xbox games on PC, but this time, it said the quiet part out loud. In a commercial stylized around the '90s movie Scream, the message is that "you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox" and "no console required." The changes come as Microsoft starts to rethink how it can boost Xbox Game Pass subscription numbers and look further beyond the console.

The timing for these Xbox changes comes as Microsoft navigates a new financial year, which began in July. There have been some Xbox layoffs as part of this, but not in the thousands like we saw earlier this year. A new financial year also means new goals and potentially some strategy shifts. Microsoft has been reshuffling its Xbox leadership in recent months, and we're about to see how that all plays out over the next 12 months.

In May, I received a tip that Microsoft is changing up its Xbox strategy for the new financial year in the EMEA regions. I haven't been able to fully verify this, but the tipster claimed Microsoft will stop marketing Xbox consoles in certain markets in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, cloud gaming, PC, and Xbox controllers. Microsoft has been struggling to sell Xbox Series S / X consoles in many countries across EMEA, and the tipster believes Microsoft will now allocate less console stock to Europe as a result. If you've heard more, please let me know.

A few weeks after I received this tip, Xbox tweeted: "No console, no problem 🔥" in a post on X about the new Xbox app for Fire TV sticks. If Microsoft is genuinely rethinking its console strategy across Europe, it will be interesting to see where stock is allocated for its upcoming discless Xbox Series X console.
Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's done.. put it out of its misery.  Cancel the next console box if it is anything other than an "Xbox" branded PC... same goes for any handheld.  Incentivize console players to jump to PC and keep

this

Rumor has it that this was why Biden's press conference was behind schedule.     

Posted Images

It's done.. put it out of its misery.  Cancel the next console box if it is anything other than an "Xbox" branded PC... same goes for any handheld.  Incentivize console players to jump to PC and keep their GamePass sub.. but then just focus on PC and PS5, with Switch ports where it makes sense, and sell 3rd party peripherals (aka Xbox style accessories) for those platforms.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Remij said:

It's done.. put it out of its misery.  Cancel the next console box if it is anything other than an "Xbox" branded PC... same goes for any handheld.  Incentivize console players to jump to PC and keep their GamePass sub.. but then just focus on PC and PS5, with Switch ports where it makes sense, and sell 3rd party peripherals (aka Xbox style accessories) for those platforms.

this

• Like 2

Hopefully the ps6 is a normal looking box and not some Beetlejuice sculpture looking pos.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Hopefully the ps6 is a normal looking box and not some Beetlejuice sculpture looking pos.

I'm scared to think of what a Sony only "traditional console" market looks like.  They'll be emboldened to do whatever they want and I'm sure prices will raise faster than they would have otherwise... but Xbox just keeps fucking up so what can you do.  Basically ending the console in Europe will cause the other markets to basically shun Xbox at a faster rate now.  There's really no coming back.  Like dominoes falling.  Everything they are doing right at this moment, is setting their next console up to completely fail in the same way, or even worse.  The Activision merger was their best shot at making their own hardware relevant again, but it is simply too entrenched in other platforms to risk cutting them out.. so they basically had to commit one way or the other.  They actually made the right choice, but it's just a shame that after all that work that went into making that happen came at the cost of their own hardware's future.

I still don't believe it was gamepass itself that cause them to fail like so many love to blame it on..  I truly believe Gamepass could work if a competent company was executing their plan with great games.. but MS just kept fumbling everything.. at some point you just have to admit it, and despite them having some awesome games that I love.. they deserve to be where they're at.

Ms love to self sabotage. They do a lot of good things and then turn around and do something retarded right after.

Xbox just isn't going to beat ps or Nintendo it is what it is.

Sony is already doing what they want. They know they selling ps5s and ms isn't selling xbox. They don't make 1p games anymore and Sony fans still defend it. Sony fans are the real sheep. At least Sony paid to keep some games off xbox and PC since they don't put out games themselves anymore. 

58 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Ms love to self sabotage. They do a lot of good things and then turn around and do something retarded right after.

Sony is already doing what they want. They know they selling ps5s and ms isn't selling xbox. They don't make 1p games anymore and Sony fans still defend it. Sony fans are the real sheep. At least Sony paid to keep some games off xbox and PC since they don't put out games themselves anymore. 

Yeah, pretty much.  I'm not upset though, they fucked over PC gamers when they made Xbox, so seeing them come full circle feels like destiny. :] 

1 hour ago, JonDnD said:

MS probably could beat Sony at this point if they took a risk and made everything 100% exclusive to Xbox, and not even PC. It would take a while but eventually they would be too many games to ignore. They’d have to do away with Gamepass to accomplish this, which would lose me as a customer though. 

Edited by Tears of the Cows
13 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah, pretty much.  I'm not upset though, they fucked over PC gamers when they made Xbox, so seeing them come full circle feels like destiny. :] 

At least MS pc ports are typically good. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

At least MS pc ports are typically good. 

Yea that's the good thing.  They've bought a lot of PC focused studios over the years that have experience.

That said though, I am kinda disappointed in how they've not really utilized many of their technologies they touted like DirectStorage and DX12U features in their own games.  It's pretty sad when Sony's port studios make use of them before MS :ben: 

We'll have to see what happens in the near future here for Xbox.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

MS probably could beat Sony at this point if they took a risk and made everything 100% exclusive to Xbox, and not even PC. It would take a while but eventually they would be too many games to ignore. They’d have to do away with Gamepass to accomplish this, which would lose me as a customer though. 

Lmfao one of the dumbest ideas possible. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Lol he said breaking news llke this was important. 

Rumor has it that this was why Biden's press conference was behind schedule. 

:hehe: 

• Haha 1
  • Ben 1
10 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Lol he said breaking news llke this was important. 

It’s important to lemshits and the state of System Wars. Lems are about to become extinct :hest:

48 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

It’s important to lemshits and the state of System Wars. Lems are about to become extinct :hest:

They already are. You just continue creating them because you are an obsessed buffoon :rofls: irl system warrior REEF

3 hours ago, Remij said:

I'm scared to think of what a Sony only "traditional console" market looks like.  They'll be emboldened to do whatever they want and I'm sure prices will raise faster than they would have otherwise... but Xbox just keeps fucking up so what can you do.  Basically ending the console in Europe will cause the other markets to basically shun Xbox at a faster rate now.  There's really no coming back.  Like dominoes falling.  Everything they are doing right at this moment, is setting their next console up to completely fail in the same way, or even worse.  The Activision merger was their best shot at making their own hardware relevant again, but it is simply too entrenched in other platforms to risk cutting them out.. so they basically had to commit one way or the other.  They actually made the right choice, but it's just a shame that after all that work that went into making that happen came at the cost of their own hardware's future.

I still don't believe it was gamepass itself that cause them to fail like so many love to blame it on..  I truly believe Gamepass could work if a competent company was executing their plan with great games.. but MS just kept fumbling everything.. at some point you just have to admit it, and despite them having some awesome games that I love.. they deserve to be where they're at.

Xbox was dying before gamepass... Gamepass just helped accelerate the demise of Xbox. 

How soon we forget that MS was about to kill off the Xbox division and gamepass, no more exclusives, play anywhere and Day one 1st party games on gamepass were done as a last ditch effort to save the gaming division. 

But all this did was devalue their 1st party games and further train their shrinking base to not to purchase games.  'if it ain't on gamepass, I ain't playing it" and if it is an gamepass I ain't buying it"

• Upvote 1