BREAKING NEWS: [The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

I don't think the consoles are going anywhere, the generate too much direct profit to kill it. Even if they only sold 50 million per generation perpetually it would still be financially worth it for them.

One caveat with console hardware.  The hardware itself doesn't generate profit for the majority of the systems lifetime. It's the games that play on the console and services that you access through the console that drives profits. 

MS games sales were already dying pre gamepass... That's why they even dived headfirst into the subscription model to begin with.  In the hopes that the sub model would generate the needed profit.... 

So far it hasn't... So now they're expanding to 3rd party.  All SW bait aside,  seeing as they now have major 3rd party studios in their stable, this will most likely generate the most gaming profits for them as those games sell boatloads on other systems. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's done.. put it out of its misery.  Cancel the next console box if it is anything other than an "Xbox" branded PC... same goes for any handheld.  Incentivize console players to jump to PC and keep

this

Rumor has it that this was why Biden's press conference was behind schedule.     

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

If you had taken two seconds to follow the conversation instead of rushing to get a snarky comment in you would have seen we were responding to the conversation of Ghostz suggesting MS ditch Gamepass and go back to the non gamepass model that Sony and Nintendo still adhere to. 

Thats still not what you said lmao 

3 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Thats still not what you said lmao 

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Remember when you clowns were saying it was just a matter of time for Nintendo and Sony to copy MS?

Anyday now :lemming:

Now you're saying MS will just flip a Switch and go back to the business model of Nintendo and Sony... Lmfao. 

Now read sloooooooooooooowly my response to ghostz suggestion about MS switching back as many times as you need slow Jonny.

Take your time to comprehend the context and remember to sound out your words :patpatpat:

Edited by Goukosan
15 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

I don't think the consoles are going anywhere, the generate too much direct profit to kill it. Even if they only sold 50 million per generation perpetually it would still be financially worth it for them.

Lol I can't imagine they are actually making profit or much of it on the xbox hardware. These aren't the gold ole days when consoles became profitable with in 2 years and the current gen sales can't be very good. 

Lol I can't imagine they are actually making profit or much of it on the xbox hardware. These aren't the gold ole days when consoles became profitable with in 2 years and the current gen sales can't be very good. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

It's not about the hardware, it's about the net profit generated by selling services, games and content directly through themselves and also the money generated via third parties.

We're talking billions upon billions of dollars here. If they sacrifice the hardware they sacrifice that direct profit chain.

58 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Now read sloooooooooooooowly my response to ghostz suggestion about MS switching back as many times as you need slow Jonny.

Take your time to comprehend the context and remember to sound out your words :patpatpat:

That's not what you said,  dumbo.

25 minutes ago, Cell said:

JonBiden struggling to keep up with the conversation again I see. 

:RISITAS:

He needs the context of a conversation spelled out for him in big bold bright neon colors :ovolol:

• Haha 1
  • dead 1
3 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Yea that part of their business changed, development (Nintendo) and Expansion (Sony)... But what didn't change and remained consistent is that Neither Sony and Nintendo adopted a day 1 gamepass model of MS. 

But like you said, ghostz suggestion is still stupid.. Lol

Well like I said before, I don't think GamePass killed their console.  It probably honestly kept it alive as long as it has.  As you said, Gamepass was a reaction to their console dying already as it was.  MS thought that with a low price to entry, that scores of people would line up.. and typically they would, but like I said, I still believe if MS had executed on their projects better, none of this conversation would be happening.  The games have had issue after issue.. development problems from bad management.. and so on.  They've done nothing to address their core problems so it really doesn't matter what they do at this point, until those issues are fixed any hardware of theirs will not have the appeal to sell, especially in other parts of the world.

And let's be honest.. they will never fix these problems because they are built right in to the very core of Microsoft itself and how it does business.. so they might as well get out of the business of selling console hardware, unless it's just an Xbox branded PC that runs Windows, and just sell their games on devices which people already own or will buy.  People WILL buy Xbox games... but people wont buy Xbox hardware to play Xbox games... not really anymore lol.

GamePass owns and MS has a massive 1p now, but it took too long to get there and when you are in last place by a large amount you should not 

Make you subscription service less appealing and more expensive

release new, more expensive consoles that offer nothing more than storage space

Shut down studios that people liked

Have the absolute WORST marketing for your games

Series X should have been 350 by now. S should be 200. The new digital X should be 300. If you are willing to spend unthinkable amounts of money on game studios, you can eat money on the consoles.

• Upvote 1
On 2024-07-11 at 11:25 PM, Remij said:

I'm scared to think of what a Sony only "traditional console" market looks like. 

image.gif.017828fd840036d73280dcb3a95c2041.gif

On 2024-07-12 at 4:15 PM, JonDnD said:

GamePass owns and MS has a massive 1p now, but it took too long to get there and when you are in last place by a large amount you should not 

Make you subscription service less appealing and more expensive

release new, more expensive consoles that offer nothing more than storage space

Shut down studios that people liked

Have the absolute WORST marketing for your games

Series X should have been 350 by now. S should be 200. The new digital X should be 300. If you are willing to spend unthinkable amounts of money on game studios, you can eat money on the consoles.

Ponies are just mad that Nintendo slapped the shit out of PlayStation this gen, almost 3:1.