i played a playstation portal at work today.

it was streaming off of a co-worker's wireless hotspot. i played the astro demo, since i wanted to see the latency and controller functionality in motion.

my review....it was mostly great.

the image quality held up well (res dropped once - looked 480p for a few seconds) and there was only one bout of slowdown (nothing game-breaking).

would i get it? maybe if it hits $100. it feels great and the screen is gorgeous.

• Like 1
  • aitch 1

It is surprisingly a legit little game controller tablet for an accessory. I tried my colleagues as well and was pleasantly surprised. I’d buy one if they put PlayStation Now streaming on it.

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1
Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

You can already do this on your phone for free 99

no doubt. but the comfort, haptics and screen are significantly better than a phone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

You can already do this on your phone for free 99

I didn't realize phones were free.

Just now, MalaXmaS said:

i played a playstation portal at work today.

I am very sorry.

but for real, when this thing inevitably hits $100, i'll get it. it's way better than i expected. it's not worth $200, though.

7 minutes ago, Remij said:

I would just use Chiaki on the Steam Deck instead of buying a Portal.. even at $100. 

that's funny you mention that. after playing the portal, i have decided that i want to give it a try. i would only spend the $100 since i really enjoyed the comfort and feel of the portal. but who knows? maybe chiaki will be enough for me.

24 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

that's funny you mention that. after playing the portal, i have decided that i want to give it a try. i would only spend the $100 since i really enjoyed the comfort and feel of the portal. but who knows? maybe chiaki will be enough for me.

Yea.  I'd see how it works out for you in either case.  I mean, for $100 the Portal definitely isn't a bad purchase.  I suppose if you're REALLY into having the Dualsense features for Playstation games, then it would be a no brainer at that price.. but for me it wouldn't be worth it.  That $100 would stay in the bank waiting for Steam Deck 2 and Switch 2.  Two much better upcoming devices.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea.  I'd see how it works out for you in either case.  I mean, for $100 the Portal definitely isn't a bad purchase.  I suppose if you're REALLY into having the Dualsense features for Playstation games, then it would be a no brainer at that price.. but for me it wouldn't be worth it.  That $100 would stay in the bank waiting for Steam Deck 2 and Switch 2.  Two much better upcoming devices.

fair point :smokefro:

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I didn’t realize you didn’t already have one. 

Even though I have a Pro Max, I almost sometimes wish the screen was a tad bit bigger. :meh:

4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

no doubt. but the comfort, haptics and screen are significantly better than a phone.

How? You can use your already existing dual sense and pair it to your phone. Unless the game doesn’t provide haptics that way, idk. 

and the screen is 1080p and LCD and only 60fps, how can it be better lol. 

1 hour ago, FIREPOWER said:

Not into streaming games but I can see myself getting one for when i go on trips and I don't want to use my laptop for gaming.

I’d love just to stream PlayStation Classics and PS3 games, that’s it… without the PS5 being turned on.

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

How? You can use your already existing dual sense and pair it to your phone. Unless the game doesn’t provide haptics that way, idk. 

and the screen is 1080p and LCD and only 60fps, how can it be better lol. 

The size. Games look great on it. 

Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

Don’t you have like 6 iPads? :wonder:

Nah, just one. After playing the SD Oled, I love having a handheld. Using the iPad with my dual sense isn’t the same.