Tom Henderson: Sony is "paying close attention to the handheld market", PlayStation Portal was "very succesful"

I stand by the idea that a PS handheld will only exist again if it is completely compatible with their console hardware library and developers can target both platforms easily.

I just can't see Sony putting effort into any other bespoke device that takes away developer resources from making PS5+ games.

• Upvote 1

The only path that makes sense is further PC handheld development. Playstation doing just a PS4 Portable is not attractive and maybe not possible. PS5 portable not possible. Dedicated handheld not viable similar to PSVR.

Sony makes slick consumer electronics and could make a great handheld PC. But the more they try to make it a Playstation the less appealing it is as a product.

Also Playstation is fucking up badly with their PSN sign-on. Their shit is too decrepit to support SteamOS/Proton, but they insist on making you sign in. Until they get their shit together, a Sony handheld would have to be a Windows device, which is doomed.

52 minutes ago, Remij said:

I stand by the idea that a PS handheld will only exist again if it is completely compatible with their console hardware library and developers can target both platforms easily.

I just can't see Sony putting effort into any other bespoke device that takes away developer resources from making PS5+ games.

This is the only way . 

• Like 1

I thought there was something about a handheld in the works that plays PS4 games? That’s the only way Sony can make this thing successful without stressing about supporting two devices… or three if you want to count PSVR2. :drake:

3 hours ago, Remij said:

The only way forward and would make it an instant day 1 buy!

16 hours ago, madmaltese said:

The only way forward and would make it an instant day 1 buy!

When you say "the only way forward", do you think there's going to be a PS4 handheld? Cause it's probably 5-10 years before a PS5 handheld is possible. And they're about to do a PS5 Pro that ups the ante even more.

Even a PS4 Portable is not super likely because forcing a downscale to 800p won't free up performance the same way in all games.