Unfortunately it seems like Astro-Bot isn't selling too well (?) UK sales are ~2/3rds of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart from 2021

• Remij changed the title to Unfortunately it seems like Astro-Bot isn't selling too well (?) UK sales are ~2/3rds of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart from 2021
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With digital data for the UK.    https://x.com/Chris_Dring/status/1835024115654344734?t=rE18nYdy8VwAG8hueVDhtA   "Astro is the fastest selling original platform game outside of Mar

Mat Piscatella - In US Astro Bot ranked 2nd in unit for w/e Sept 7th (behind only NBA 2K25), and the Astro DualSense was the best-selling accessory

Can't wait to play it 2 years from now  

Posted Images

Physical Only for UK doesn't mean anything. This game is a tiny download and is perfect for digital.

I think it sold really well as it was selling out in regions like Japan and was topping the Amazon US charts for the year. 

I'd wait to see actual NPD numbers before declaring anything based on UK physical which is too tiny to make any conclusions with.

10 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Physical Only for UK doesn't mean anything. This game is a tiny download and is perfect for digital.

I think it sold really well as it was selling out in regions like Japan and was topping the Amazon US charts for the year. 

I'd wait to see actual NPD numbers before declaring anything based on UK physical which is too tiny to make any conclusions with.

It means a lot when you post UK physical for Xbox games :rofls:

19 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I was gonna say… lmfao!

I bought it boxed :banderoos:

It’s a PS5 exclusive, you can’t play it on the Pro :hehe:

Edited by Long Ball Larry
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Why do we keep using this totally useless metric. Probably even worse than VGChartz. Literally nothing worse than judging sales than UK physical only lol

Because it's not totally useless when you're comparing retail sales of one game to retail sales of another :cosby2: 

Either it shows the game isn't doing that great, or it shows that physical is dropping off fast.

Just now, Remij said:

Because it's not totally useless when you're comparing retail sales of one game to retail sales of another :cosby2: 

Either it shows the game isn't doing that great, or it shows that physical is dropping off fast.

It is because you're comparing a dying medium so there is natural decline in physical sales over time. This could sell the same as R&C while still being down significantly in physical sales. Not to mention it's even worse because UK physical sales are already such a tiny sample size to begin with. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Remij said:

But he's right, it's a useless metric.

It's not even total sales for the UK just physical only. Physical has been dying steadily year over year since R&C came out in 2021 especially in the UK.

It doesn't prove anything till we see total sales for the region and other much bigger markets.

Edited by FIREPOWER
1 hour ago, JonDnD said:

Xbox is a dying platform, its games don't chart anywhere you retard, not even on Amazon :luff:

:kaz: When was the last time an Xbox game charted other than Flopfield?

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It is because you're comparing a dying medium so there is natural decline in physical sales over time. This could sell the same as R&C while still being down significantly in physical sales. Not to mention it's even worse because UK physical sales are already such a tiny sample size to begin with. 

Selling the same as Ratchet and Clank would be disappointing... considering the hype this game had, and the amount of PS5 consoles out now compared to when Ratchet launched.  

I see no problem with comparing the physical sales of one game to another and questioning whether the game is selling well.  Digital sales "making up" for lost physical sales isn't exactly great either.  Like I said... either the game isn't doing as well as people hoped.. or physical is really falling off.

6 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

But he's right, it's a useless metric.

It's not even total sales for the UK just physical only.

It doesn't prove anything till we see total sales for the region and other much bigger markets.

I never said it proved anything.  I said it seems like Astro Bot isn't selling that well.  If matching Ratchet and Clank is the barometer, then ok, maybe Digital will make up for it... but isn't the hope that Astro would be doing better unquestionably?

Just now, Remij said:

Selling the same as Ratchet and Clank would be disappointing... considering the hype this game had, and the amount of PS5 consoles out now compared to when Ratchet launched.  

I see no problem with comparing the physical sales of one game to another and questioning whether the game is selling well.  Digital sales "making up" for lost physical sales isn't exactly great either.  Like I said... either the game isn't doing as well as people hoped.. or physical is really falling off.

I'm just giving an example of comparative sales, not saying it will or what that means. 

Also come on man, this game had no hype outside of the most hardcore...it has farrr weaker IP strength. It's a sequel/reboot of a VR IP and a console tie in tech demo. Compared to Ratchet and Clank, one of PS' strongest old PS2 IPs. The hype Astro has gotten is now that it has received such critical acclaim and that reflection will come in later sales. 

Sony didn't even hype this game, maybe the shortest time from reveal to release I have ever seen them do. Also next to zero relevance or mention of it in earlier financial statements (they stated low first party sales expect this FY due to not many noteworthy releases),etc

Made by a tiny team in a short amount of time. If this sells a couple million units it will have been a mega hit for them. 

I hyped this yes, but Astro is now for the first time making a true splash in a more mainstream way. The sequel now will have the true hype.

I'm just giving an example of comparative sales, not saying it will or what that means. 

Also come on man, this game had no hype outside of the most hardcore...it has farrr weaker IP strength. It's a sequel/reboot of a VR IP and a console tie in tech demo. Compared to Ratchet and Clank, one of PS' strongest old PS2 IPs. The hype Astro has gotten is now that it has received such critical acclaim and that reflection will come in later sales. 

Sony didn't even hype this game, maybe the shortest time from reveal to release I have ever seen them do. Also next to zero relevance or mention of it in earlier financial statements (they stated low first party sales expect this FY due to not many noteworthy releases),etc

Made by a tiny team in a short amount of time. If this sells a couple million units it will have been a mega hit for them. 

I hyped this yes, but Astro is now for the first time making a true splash in a more mainstream way. The sequel now will have the true hype.

Huh, I thought it had some pretty good hype behind it.  It's releasing in a first party drought period, pretty much every outlet was fawning at the previews about it, then it came and knocked it out of the park with the reviews.  People have been talking about how good it looked since it was announced.  Aint nobody hyping things from financial statements :D 

Expectations are definitely more than a couple million.. lmao come on dude... 

2 hours ago, FIREPOWER said:

I love seeing you dumb shits come full circle lmfao. Now it doesn't matter, subjugated to endless UK physical sales threads by you twats, but now it means nothing.

:tom:

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Huh, I thought it had some pretty good hype behind it.  It's releasing in a first party drought period, pretty much every outlet was fawning at the previews about it, then it came and knocked it out of the park with the reviews.  People have been talking about how good it looked since it was announced.  Aint nobody hyping things from financial statements :D 

Expectations are definitely more than a couple million.. lmao come on dude... 

You're mixing up hardcore fan/gaming site critical hype to actual commercial hype. Sony most definitely indicate expectations from financial statements and press releases, it's probably the only actual place they actual indicate such things. 

Imo thinking this has higher expectations than an INSOMNIAC game from a classic Sony IP is a wild assertation. Fraction the team size, fraction the time to develop, fraction the IP relevance (and even a more fraction the developer relevance to mainstream).

Honestly find me a first party game where Sony reveled and released in a shorter amount of time? I honestly can't think of one. This was a near throw away title for Sony, their expectations for Concord were way way way higher than this lol

You're mixing up hardcore fan/gaming site critical hype to actual commercial hype. Sony most definitely indicate expectations from financial statements and press releases, it's probably the only actual place they actual indicate such things. 

Imo thinking this has higher expectations than an INSOMNIAC game from a classic Sony IP is a wild assertation. Fraction the team size, fraction the time to develop, fraction the IP relevance (and even a more fraction the developer relevance to mainstream).

Honestly find me a first party game where Sony reveled and released in a shorter amount of time? I honestly can't think of one. This was a near throw away title for Sony, their expectations for Concord were way way way higher than this lol

No, I'm basing this off the same way I base hype for any game.  Nobody is acting like this was supposed to be the next Uncharted... but acting like Sony had no expectations for this game and that it was a throw-away title for this is ridiculous.  This game is a god damn celebration of everything Playstation... coming in after a huge drought of PS first party games.  Sony undoubtedly have higher expectations for this game than they did Ratchet... we're 4 years into the console generation.. A game like Astro Bot should easily be clearing Ratchet and Clank launch numbers.. it literally has no competition and is a completely different game from everything else Sony is doing.  Not every game needs years long hype cycles and buildup... this isn't some story based game where they're going to spend months and months drip feeding people info to get them interested in the games world and characters... it's a platformer.  You can show it off and release it sooner, but that doesn't mean there's not expectations there.  They expect this to be THE platformer for Playstation... not something that barely meets or exceeds Ratchet and Clank.. at least IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

No, I'm basing this off the same way I base hype for any game.  Nobody is acting like this was supposed to be the next Uncharted... but acting like Sony had no expectations for this game and that it was a throw-away title for this is ridiculous.  This game is a god damn celebration of everything Playstation... coming in after a huge drought of PS first party games.  Sony undoubtedly have higher expectations for this game than they did Ratchet... we're 4 years into the console generation.. A game like Astro Bot should easily be clearing Ratchet and Clank launch numbers.. it literally has no competition and is a completely different game from everything else Sony is doing.  Not every game needs years long hype cycles and buildup... this isn't some story based game where they're going to spend months and months drip feeding people info to get them interested in the games world and characters... it's a platformer.  You can show it off and release it sooner, but that doesn't mean there's not expectations there.  They expect this to be THE platformer for Playstation... not something that barely meets or exceeds Ratchet and Clank.. at least IMO. 

Guess we just disagree. Think it's clear af given the time and resources they put into this compared to their other projects just what their expectations are. 60 man team in 3 years. Literally one of the smallest Sony first party games in recent history and you think it has far higher expectations that their no.1 first party team (insomniac clearly that this gen) with an existing strong IP and a much higher budget.

You say it's just a platformer but then compare it to Ratchet which did have years long hype cycle, multiple appearances, gameplay reveals, showcase highlights, etc. Again I honestly can't think of a less pushed/marketed game by Sony. 

Either way those expectations are going to get eclipsed. This will have a long tail due to reviews, will win GOTYs which will help it again and it's showing strong sales in a lot of regions. 

A single region with flailing physical sales and no digital data. Can we just wait until we see real sales numbers across multiple regions? 

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1