The $700 PS5 Pro is Too Much For Too Little - IGN

29 minutes ago, Remij said:

Bubu PC cawstz moar! :cry:

I was waiting for the pro but it's totally not worth the price difference. There is a difference between a premium experience and paying more money for some bells and whistles. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I was waiting for the pro but it's totally not worth the price difference. There is a difference between a premium experience and paying more money for some bells and whistles. 

It's definitely a harder sell.  PS5 is already a "4K console".  Outside of some UE5 titles, the PS5 does just fine.. and Sony didn't do themselves any favors by using their own games since they run and look gorgeous enough as it is.  Showing rougher 3rd party games looking and performing much better would have been easier for people to rationalize the difference.. but we'll see.  It's hard to say whether Sony makes more money off a base PS5 sale vs what they will make from a PRO sale, so they may prefer people just buy the base console, as weird as it sounds.

I still think it's a bit too early to tell whether purely on a visual/performance level it will be worth it.  As the gen goes on it should pull away from the base PS5 as things get rougher and rougher for it.. but by then people will be anticipating the PS6 and so on.

I’m playing AstroBot, and I think OG ps5 visuals look great. Sony is always going to favor their base system. Hardly any titles have even taken full advantage of the console (most were on ps4). PC is the better option. 

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's definitely a harder sell.  PS5 is already a "4K console".  Outside of some UE5 titles, the PS5 does just fine.. and Sony didn't do themselves any favors by using their own games since they run and look gorgeous enough as it is.  Showing rougher 3rd party games looking and performing much better would have been easier for people to rationalize the difference.. but we'll see.  It's hard to say whether Sony makes more money off a base PS5 sale vs what they will make from a PRO sale, so they may prefer people just buy the base console, as weird as it sounds.

I still think it's a bit too early to tell whether purely on a visual/performance level it will be worth it.  As the gen goes on it should pull away from the base PS5 as things get rougher and rougher for it.. but by then people will be anticipating the PS6 and so on.

What you say makes sense but I really don't think enough people will buy the pro to warrant developers outside of Sony spending extra resources to take advantage of the Pro's bells and whistles.  

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, lostfool said:

What you say makes sense but I really don't think enough people will buy the pro to warrant developers outside of Sony spending extra resources to take advantage of the Pro's bells and whistles.  

For sure, there's that too.  Sony might/should incentivize them, which is basically what Nvidia does.. but I guess we can look to the PS4 Pro which suggests that they likely wont.  However, keep in mind that RT is a way they can visually change some games quite drastically much more easily than creating higher quality assets and so on.  So that's basically how I expect most games actually taking advantage of the hardware will do it.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

This absolutely should not be how console makers should proceed in the future. You don't get anywhere fucking over your fanbase in order to force them to want/need to upgrade to new hardware halfway through its life cycle. 

They want you to pay 200 more than the base model, which is still launch price. Which means Sony purposefully didn't do a price drop it to make the cost difference look as "little" as possible. It has no in-box stand, you have to buy a disc drive separately. This is not a premium feeling. It's exactly like Apple's problem since Cook took over. 

The gen will be past half over when this thing drops. I didn't mind upgrading to the PSone because it saved so much space and my PS was beatup and it was my parent's money anyway. I didn't mind getting the ps2 lite because my ps2 was having all types of disc read errors and the ps2 lite once again was so small and eye catching and priced well.

Sony is completely out of touch. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Impossible said:

This absolutely should not be how console makers should proceed in the future. You don't get anywhere fucking over your fanbase in order to force them to want/need to upgrade to new hardware halfway through its life cycle. 

They want you to pay 200 more than the base model, which is still launch price. Which means Sony purposefully didn't do a price drop it to make the cost difference look as "little" as possible. It has no in-box stand, you have to buy a disc drive separately. This is not a premium feeling. It's exactly like Apple's problem since Cook took over. 

The gen will be past half over when this thing drops. I didn't mind upgrading to the PSone because it saved so much space and my PS was beatup and it was my parent's money anyway. I didn't mind getting the ps2 lite because my ps2 was having all types of disc read errors and the ps2 lite once again was so small and eye catching and priced well.

Sony is completely out of touch. 

It's harder to get more out of these systems later on in their lifecycle because so much of the APIs and architecture is similar to what devs have known for ages.  Older consoles had more proprietary hardware that they had to learn over the course of a generation.. that's no longer the case.

I agree with you though.  My stance has been that mid-gen console upgrades don't really do much other than dilute the impact a true next generation product would have.  Such was the case with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and this current gen... Imagine how bigger of a jump this gen would have felt vs PS4 and Xbox One without them.