Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 system requirements (Updated with comparison pics vs MSFS2020)

msfs-2024-system-requirements-v0-3n7vz4s

Honestly scales pretty well considering all the improvements they're making to this version of the game.. all the way from 4GB GPUs to 12GB+.  This might be the first game to recommend 64GB of RAM at the highest "Ideal Spec" however, but when you actually think about it though, it probably buffers much more into memory upfront for streaming purposes which makes sense.

Speaking of streaming, they've managed to reduce the game from 130GB from MS Flight Sim 2020, to just 30-50GB for this game, as they've completely overhauled how the game streams in assets as you play.. reducing the upfront download.  So basically instead of downloading it all upfront, the game will download as you play it, which is honestly probably better for this type of game.  Before you essentially had to download "world packs" of different locations before you played, and now they'll just stream in as you fly.

Can't wait to try this one out!

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I didn't even know there was a new one. I feel like they were having a lot of success with the DLC and expansions for the last game and could have just continued with that for the next few years.

I think that's what most people expected them to do, but they seem to think they've added enough new features and improvements that it warrants a new release.

The core fanbase for these games would buy yearly updates regardless lol.

I clear the ideal specs :aitch:

The problem is whether I want to even upgrade or not. I'm very happy with MSFS 2020 and I haven't seen anything making me want to upgrade to the latest game. I only play in VR and with mods so most of the new features are pointless to me. I'll probably pick it up on sale next year.

Edited by FIREPOWER
9 hours ago, Remij said:

I think that's what most people expected them to do, but they seem to think they've added enough new features and improvements that it warrants a new release.

The core fanbase for these games would buy yearly updates regardless lol.

The only reason I didn't play more of the original was because I couldn't find a good joystick for it. There were a couple of popular models that were constantly selling out during the pandemic which was annoying.

the 64gb ram for max settings has to be a joke. I don't understand what remij is saying but I'm sure even if it doesn't do the streaming stuff puffer or whatever I could get away with my 16gb ram

like no other game has such ram requirements.... I understand that game is some technical showcase but that sounds like made up bullshit. PC requirements are never accurate and sometimes far from what you actually need. Nobody told me I should get more RAM for my new PC, I only listened to the advise to get as much VRAM as possible for my gpu because of those weird issues with maxed out VRAM in RE4 remake for example etc.

30 minutes ago, kaz said:

the 64gb ram for max settings has to be a joke. I don't understand what remij is saying but I'm sure even if it doesn't do the streaming stuff puffer or whatever I could get away with my 16gb ram

like no other game has such ram requirements.... I understand that game is some technical showcase but that sounds like made up bullshit. PC requirements are never accurate and sometimes far from what you actually need. Nobody told me I should get more RAM for my new PC, I only listened to the advise to get as much VRAM as possible for my gpu because of those weird issues with maxed out VRAM in RE4 remake for example etc.

Well of course you can get away with less lol.. that's literally why there's different recommendations for different presets. :D 

16GB is probably pushing it for this game though.  32 would be no probs.. but 16 ain't a whole lot anymore.

1 hour ago, kaz said:

Yea, it's probably bullshit. Not even Star Citizen that I play all the time requires 64GB RAM and that game streams in an entire star system

7 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Yea, it's probably bullshit. Not even Star Citizen that I play all the time requires 64GB RAM and that game streams in an entire star system

That's not even close to the same thing :D 

1 minute ago, FIREPOWER said:

Oh really? Tell me more.

Because you download Star Citizen and everything you need is already on your computer... The game "streams" assets from storage to memory as you play it.   Whereas Flight Sim does not have everything it needs stored on your PC.. it has to download it from the internet first... and that requires RAM... then it can be cached on your drive, and/or streamed to VRAM...  Turns out the world is a big place full of unique things.. and those unique things need unique textures.  It's literally using high res satellite images for a ton of stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Remij changed the title to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 system requirements (Updated with comparison pics vs MSFS2020)

Yeah, this is quite a substantial bump in detail and visual quality.

Yosemite_MSFS_2020.jpg?auto=compress,for

Yosemite_MSFS_2024.jpg?auto=compress,for

Corsica_MSFS_2020.jpg?auto=compress,form

Corsica_MSFS_2024.jpg?auto=compress,form

Amazon_Inside_MSFS_2020.jpg?auto=compres

Amazon_Inside_MSFS_2024.jpg?auto=compres

ForestLake_MSFS_2020.jpg?auto=compress,f

ForestLake_MSFS_2024.jpg?auto=compress,f

WaterPalms_MSFS_2020.jpg?auto=compress,f

WaterPalms_MSFS_2024.jpg?auto=compress,f