Sony forced journalists playing PS5 Pro to play inches away from the screen

:mroff:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/9/25/24253649/ps5-pro-preview

I’m not yet sold. That’s mostly because Sony is charging several hundred dollars more than last time — but also partly because I had to stand so close to the 4K screen to get that eye-popping result.

Sony’s demos keep us so close to the TVs it’s impossible not to see improvements, with fixed-length wired controllers encouraging us to stay nearby. When I step back anyhow, the PS5 Pro’s graphical improvements get harder to make out. Some disappear at six feet, most of them at 10 feet, in game after game. That’s a bit further than I measured with the PS4 Pro vs. PS4 eight years ago.

IMG_0089.jpeg.a103bc6da44d222c7380e2c785d03f1f.jpeg

:tom:

other highlights 

Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2actually runs at a lower render resolution in its new PS5 Pro “Performance Pro” mode than it does in the “Fidelity” mode on the original PS5.

With Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, the same developer took a different tack: if you look closely, there are actually fewer spectators in the stands in the PS5 Pro’s “Performance Pro” mode compared to the vanilla PS5’s “Fidelity” mode.

Edited by Long Ball Larry
7 minutes ago, Remij said:

I do think it's pretty odd that most of the things we've seen are basically keeping the same input resolutions as the base console.  Realistically there should be a decent input res bump, plus the improvement that PSSR brings.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sony was doing the bare minimum, seems to be their way LMAO

2 hours ago, Remij said:

I do think it's pretty odd that most of the things we've seen are basically keeping the same input resolutions as the base console.  Realistically there should be a decent input res bump, plus the improvement that PSSR brings.

That realization that if the base PlayStation 5 had PSSR you would effectively be getting the same output as the PlayStation 5 Pro right now. It's absolutely pathetic.