Digital Foundry - Silent Hill 2 PC analysis - #Stutterstruggle #UE5wasamistake

12 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I tried that trial for the wrc game . It flat out froze at points. Ue4 sucked for a long time there was no excuse for wrc tho

Ue5 won't be sorted out this gen. Just have to accept disgustingly low res and fr on console and terrible stutters on all platforms

The worst part is so many people accept it , or lie about it like Twinblade 

Ue5 is a MISTAKE

You need to make a custom engine for racing games. 

Codemasters was fine using the EGO engine but EA comes along and fucks everything up as usual. 

The Assetto Corsa team also made the same mistake using UE4 for Competizione and now they scrapped development for AC Evo and started developing their own custom engine. 

Something around UE not designed for fast paced movement as it stutters like crazy. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

0 fps on Xflop  

Unreal Engine hasn't been focused on PC since UE3 and Gears of War launched      

21 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I tried that trial for the wrc game . It flat out froze at points. Ue4 sucked for a long time there was no excuse for wrc tho

Ue5 won't be sorted out this gen. Just have to accept disgustingly low res and fr on console and terrible stutters on all platforms

Ue5 is a MISTAKE

UE4 was garbage last gen. For the most part, it’s been great this gen. UE5 made me appreciate 4 lol..

It's so weird playing a UE5 game then going back to or playing another game that isn't UE. It's like oh , this is what it's supposed to be like.

Also a quote from Alex 

do not make optimised settings for Games that I think do not deserve the time invested/are broken. I consider this game pretty broken ATM due to the stuttering. Getting an extra 20% GPU performance via tweaking is completely irrelevant when turning the camera every 10 Seconds causes a 66 milisecond frametime Spike.

If you are curious though, Optimised settings for GPU is Turn Off RT, reduce shadows and effects 1 notch down.

It's so annoying watching people say it's fine or it's not too bad . That's just a lie. You can't not notice stutters while playing a video game .

9 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

It's so weird playing a UE5 game then going back to or playing another game that isn't UE. It's like oh , this is what it's supposed to be like.

Also a quote from Alex 

do not make optimised settings for Games that I think do not deserve the time invested/are broken. I consider this game pretty broken ATM due to the stuttering. Getting an extra 20% GPU performance via tweaking is completely irrelevant when turning the camera every 10 Seconds causes a 66 milisecond frametime Spike.

If you are curious though, Optimised settings for GPU is Turn Off RT, reduce shadows and effects 1 notch down.

It's so annoying watching people say it's fine or it's not too bad . That's just a lie. You can't not notice stutters while playing a video game .

The frame tearing is also pretty evident. 

Fuck you UE4

On 2024-10-14 at 9:01 AM, JonDnD said:

Ue5 is a MISTAKE

So because im the only one on this forum who was smart enough to get the PS5 version of SH2 and can say first hand there are virtually no stutters, im somehow a liar?

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

nah, he is pretty objective.

Alex from DF said the ps5 version has the same stutters as pc .

I know who I'd believe 

7 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Alex from DF said the ps5 version has the same stutters as pc .

I know who I'd believe 

I dunno what to tell you. Maybe im just lucky? Or maybe they were unlucky? Or maybe its because im playing a retail blu ray copy which is easier to stream from for the engine compared to directly from the hard drive? 

I have no reason to lie.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I dunno what to tell you. Maybe im just lucky? Or maybe they were unlucky? Or maybe its because im playing a retail blu ray copy which is easier to stream from for the engine compared to directly from the hard drive? 

I have no reason to lie.

You arent lucky, you are wrong. Maybe you dont "notice" the stutters but they are there. Thats a fact.

Alex from DF

Seeing people writing about switching to PS5. The game stutters on PS5 too , same locations. Also bad. Stutters in 30 fps mode as well at the same locations as on PC.
On top of that you have the GPU related drops on PS5.

57 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So because im the only one on this forum who was smart enough to get the PS5 version of SH2 and can say first hand there are virtually no stutters, im somehow a liar?

Do you really think you're playing a better version of the game than me?  I can lock the game to 30fps just like PS5.. and get basically no stutters, and run at WAYYY higher settings and much better RT.

The same stutters appear on PS5, the base performance is just so much lower that you don't realize they're happening to the same degree.  It's an issue with the game and obviously the engine, no PC.

At least on PC you can fix the animation stutter using -UseFixedTimeStep, whereas on PS5 you're shit out of luck. lol

Edited by Remij
8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

So DF is right when it's related the SH stutters on PS5, but they're wrong and how powerful the PS5 Pro GPU is huh.... :mjpls:

Well, I believe Dynamite's point was that they're not exactly saying it performs equivalent to a 4070.. they're saying it gives the feeling of upgrading from a 3070, or 3070Ti to a 4070, because it has more features.  Basically it's capable of PSSR where the base PS5 isn't.. and 4070's are capable of DLSS3 and 3.5 Ray Reconstruction where the 30 series isn't.

Time will tell.  I think I said before that ~4070 is where I'd expect it.  Some games will be lower depending on what they stress, and other more optimized PS5 games will do better. 

Edited by Remij
6 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

You arent lucky, you are wrong. Maybe you dont "notice" the stutters but they are there. Thats a fact.

I've played plenty of game with stutters. Im pretty sure I would be able to notice them.

I just randomly checked several reviews of the PS5 version (including gamespot's) and none of them mention stuttering being an issue.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I've played plenty of game with stutters. Im pretty sure I would be able to notice them.

I just randomly checked several reviews of the PS5 version (including gamespot's) and none of them mention stuttering being an issue.

LMAO dude, most reviews don't mention shit about PC versions of games stuttering... you're not proving your case here at all. 

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Take it up with Alex from DF

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

LMAO dude, most reviews don't mention shit about PC versions of games stuttering... you're not proving your case here at all. 

What are you talking about? I literally just said I picked reviews from the PS5 version specifically, not ones where they played the PC version.