The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That makes sense. But I also found the game to have some annoying quirks, that I feel could use some tweaking. For example having to use the X icon or <---- to exit out of menus instead of just simply hitting B on a controller. Or when you access a puzzle item like a lock and it zooms into it, the only way to exit that view is to fail/complete the puzzle since you once again can't back out.

I know this is minor stuff but I've seen people on steam complain about it too and a full game of this would annoy me. Im hoping they will patch this kind of thing and make the game more intuitive.

i can see that. it's a bit odd.

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

since we are on the subject of boobs and a tiny waist, i found this lovely gif

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

Posted Images

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

i can see that. it's a bit odd.

Its just one of those small things that go completely against every recent video game convention and even in my short play time I kept making mistakes when trying to solve puzzles or view something in the menu. Maybe I would have gotten used to it eventually, but my current lazy mood just didn't want to deal with it.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its just one of those small things that go completely against every recent video game convention and even in my short play time I kept making mistakes when trying to solve puzzles or view something in the menu. Maybe I would have gotten used to it eventually, but my current lazy mood just didn't want to deal with it.

that's fair. you get used to it. it reminds me of playing older adventure games on the SD. there are some UI quirks, but they become second nature. it's definitely a game you play when you want to stimulate the mind. it's not a chill puzzle game.

• Upvote 1

so, i was able to put a few hours into lorelei and the laser eyes. there's a cool, non-linear aspect to the puzzles. some of them have been a lot of fun, and come off as hard, until you realize that the solution, or at least a major clue, is close by. i have absolutely no idea where this game is going, but i'm genuinely intrigued. i'm going on vacation this weekend, so i doubt i'll be able to play much until tuesday, but i look forward to exploring more. i had a lot of fun with the movie poster puzzles.

• Upvote 1

That ending to Hellblade 2  :D JFC 

I’ll make my review short: 

as a game - a 5

as a cinematic, interactive experience - a 7.5

graphics look incredibly stunning in parts, but come at a steep cost (more invisible walls than a ps1 title). 

the sound was stellar. Loved the voices w/headphones 

story was whatever. It was a story. 

the combat was meh, but looked really cool, especially if you were fighting alongside NPCs. Very cinematic. 

the puzzles were easy, but fine. Nothing bogged down the game.

It’s about 5 hours long, but  it would have been better if it was 4, with less walking and fighting. It got tedious, in parts. 

Or, the extra hour could have been used for a more epic finale. I feel UC 1’d. 

Anyhow, since I went into this as a cinematic, interactive experience, I give it a 7.5. The atmosphere and production values are worth the 5 hours. 

• Like 3

I didn't run into any invisible walls because it was extremely obvious where you could and couldn't walk IMO.. but I agree with a lot of what you say @-GD-X.  I'd give it an 8/10 overall.. mostly because of the cinematic presentation of it.. and simply because I love taking screenshots and this game has an awesome photo mode.

I put 10 hours into the game, and a couple of those hours are definitely just in the photo mode.  But yea, the story is nothing special, puzzles could have been more and were barely an obstacle..  and that's kind of what annoys me and leaves me disappointed in this game.  I mean think about it.. Senua's whole thing is the mental illness aspect of her life and coming to terms with herself.. and think of how cool that could lend itself to a puzzle focused game.  I mean the original God of War games would be a perfect template for this type of story.. and add that, with their combat system and fleshing it out just a little bit more... you could have an awesome game there.  

Like you said, as a certain experience it's solid, with amazing production values and atmosphere.. but if you're expecting anything else.. it's a disappointment.  I still appreciate it for what it is.. but wish it would have been more.  Still though, I'm going to be spending a lot of time in this game replaying it and just taking pictures of everything lol.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, Remij said:

I didn't run into any invisible walls because it was extremely obvious where you could and couldn't walk IMO.. but I agree with a lot of what you say @-GD-X.  I'd give it an 8/10 overall.. mostly because of the cinematic presentation of it.. and simply because I love taking screenshots and this game has an awesome photo mode.

I put 10 hours into the game, and a couple of those hours are definitely just in the photo mode.  But yea, the story is nothing special, puzzles could have been more and were barely an obstacle..  and that's kind of what annoys me and leaves me disappointed in this game.  I mean think about it.. Senua's whole thing is the mental illness aspect of her life and coming to terms with herself.. and think of how cool that could lend itself to a puzzle focused game.  I mean the original God of War games would be a perfect template for this type of story.. and add that, with their combat system and fleshing it out just a little bit more... you could have an awesome game there.  

Like you said, as a certain experience it's solid, with amazing production values and atmosphere.. but if you're expecting anything else.. it's a disappointment.  I still appreciate it for what it is.. but wish it would have been more.  Still though, I'm going to be spending a lot of time in this game replaying it and just taking pictures of everything lol.

100%. I only noticed the invisible walls because I wanted to see how far off the linear path I could go, at various points. It was like I couldn’t climb/walk over 99 smaller stones, but I could climb over the one in white. The less graphically intensive areas were more open. But the more dense ones were super linear. A lot of “look, but you can’t touch”… still, the sense of scale was pretty epic. Overall, I enjoyed it. That’s all that matters. 

• Upvote 1

@David P After 17 hours I've come to the conclusion that im really not a fan of the 2.5d combat in the SO2 remake. The enemies have more health at this point so what often happens is you'll start attacking them and then they'll just move onto a different plain and then your attacks start missing, so you have to chase them down again and then as you start attacking they'll once again move and the cycle repeats itself. It just doesn't flow as well as i'd like to compared to if it were completely 2D, or 3D like the newer games.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

@David P After 17 hours I've come to the conclusion that im really not a fan of the 2.5d combat in the SO2 remake. The enemies have more health at this point so what often happens is you'll start attacking them and then they'll just move onto a different plain and then your attacks start missing, so you have to chase them down again and then as you start attacking they'll once again move and the cycle repeats itself. It just doesn't flow as well as i'd like to compared to if it were completely 2D, or 3D like the newer games.

That's fair. Not an issue if you increase godspeed skill but that is later in the game. 

Best thing about SO2 was never the combat itself. 

• Upvote 1

so i'm back on Lorelei and The Laser Eyes. i'm playing an adventure game on an old pc in this adventure game lol. so far, it's really good!

• Upvote 1

i'm at the 35% mark in lorelei and the laser eyes. this game is absolutely incredible! it's a bit daunting, at first. it's so open-ended and interconnected. it's kind of like the resident evil mansion, but with dark souls 1 level design. there's 0 hand-holding. instead of bosses and enemies, you have puzzles. it's funny how some seem so obtuse, at first. however, once you get the flow down with clues and discoveries (much like mastering an enemy's moves in the souls games), the puzzles become fun and interesting. you are constantly rewarded for exploring. i thought i was stuck in a hole, until i confessed to something.....i may have done? i have no clue what's going on, but i'm loving this world and the mystery it holds.

edit: DO NOT PLAY THIS IF YOU WANT A RELAXING PUZZLE GAME LOL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i'm at the 35% mark in lorelei and the laser eyes. this game is absolutely incredible! it's a bit daunting, at first. it's so open-ended and interconnected. it's kind of like the resident evil mansion, but with dark souls 1 level design. there's 0 hand-holding. instead of bosses and enemies, you have puzzles. it's funny how some seem so obtuse, at first. however, once you get the flow down with clues and discoveries (much like mastering an enemy's moves in the souls games), the puzzles become fun and interesting. you are constantly rewarded for exploring. i thought i was stuck in a hole, until i confessed to something.....i may have done? i have no clue what's going on, but i'm loving this world and the mystery it holds.

edit: DO NOT PLAY THIS IF YOU WANT A RELAXING PUZZLE GAME LOL.

I've seen many comparisons to the Layton games but I didn't get that vibe in my brief time with it....Is there anything you could compare it to?

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I've seen many comparisons to the Layton games but I didn't get that vibe in my brief time with it....Is there anything you could compare it to?

i mean, some of the math puzzles are like layton. they are cleverly designed, in the some ways, but fair. also, maybe the puzzles to unlock shortcuts since they are numbered. i don't want to give any spoilers. overall, it's way more open than layton, has barely any narrative and is dark and surreal (very lynch-like). it has some cool, but strange characters. there's death and ghostly images too. it's kind of a like a more intricately structured, and way more interesting myst.

• Upvote 1

lorelei and the laser eyes is looking like a goty contender for me. so far, it's a 10. it somehow gets better, stranger and more intriguing.

edit:  let's hope the second half can maintain this level of quality.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

lorelei and the laser eyes is looking like a goty contender for me. so far, it's a 10. it somehow gets better, stranger and more intriguing.

edit:  let's hope the second half can maintain this level of quality.

i definitely want to give it another shot. Im actually seeing more and more complaints on steam about the lack of a back button or way to easily back out of the menus. I imagine the devs will patch that soon because of how increasingly vocal people are being about it.

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

i definitely want to give it another shot. Im actually seeing more and more complaints on steam about the lack of a back button or way to easily back out of the menus. I imagine the devs will patch that soon because of how increasingly vocal people are being about it.

It’s, initially, annoying. However, it becomes second nature. Overall, I can see the game being overwhelming and clunky, at first. However, I’m now in such a groove. Everything feels logical and fun. The UI quirks still catch me up, occasionally, but they don’t detract from the game. I still have no idea what’s going on, with the story, but I get major David Lynch vibes. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

It’s, initially, annoying. However, it becomes second nature. Overall, I can see the game being overwhelming and clunky, at first. However, I’m now in such a groove. Everything feels logical and fun. The UI quirks still catch me up, occasionally, but they don’t detract from the game. I still have no idea what’s going on, with the story, but I get major David Lynch vibes. 

Some people are saying it gets really obnoxious late game because of all the photographic memories you end up gathering.