Jump to content

The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • -GD-X

    4013

  • Twinblade

    2075

  • soup

    1751

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

Posted Images

1 hour ago, soup said:

Here you go some more texture fun. Late game spoilers tho - 

  Hide contents

 

 

This is a critical path mission.

:lawl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

After beating the game and seeing the post credits stuff I have to say this game is pretty incredible. Not only does it manage to tank in terms of performance as you progress but the story itself managed to constantly get worse and worse. The "big moment" falls flat, the final encounter is nothing short of a fart in the wind and the actual finale just makes everything else that was bad somehow worse. 9/10.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soup said:

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it. 

  Hide contents

Throughout the entire game youre made to believe that Deacon has some trauma surrounding water, it never shouts it at you but there are multiple instances where Deacon refuses to go into the water and when you jump into a lake during gameplay your "tread water" meter drains so quickly that you almost are guaranteed a death. Fun? No but at least they "try" to play it into the ficiton.

 

So with all that out of the way, there's a scene towards the end of the game where Deacon is split apart from his "might be dead" friend by a body of water. Which would have made for an opportune moment to have Deacon overcome his fears. What we get instead is Deacon clumsily lowering himself into the water and immediately we see a lengthy loading screen followed up by him climbing out of the water. That's the pay off, a fucking loading screen. 

 

Damn...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 20 hours into the Division 2, at level 19. This game is fucking good. Its everything I wanted Anthem to be , without the cool flight mechanics. The gameplay in this game is really fun too tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soup said:

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it. 

  Hide contents

Throughout the entire game youre made to believe that Deacon has some trauma surrounding water, it never shouts it at you but there are multiple instances where Deacon refuses to go into the water and when you jump into a lake during gameplay your "tread water" meter drains so quickly that you almost are guaranteed a death. Fun? No but at least they "try" to play it into the ficiton.

 

So with all that out of the way, there's a scene towards the end of the game where Deacon is split apart from his "might be dead" friend by a body of water. Which would have made for an opportune moment to have Deacon overcome his fears. What we get instead is Deacon clumsily lowering himself into the water and immediately we see a lengthy loading screen followed up by him climbing out of the water. That's the pay off, a fucking loading screen. 

 

 

LOL, Sheesh... That's awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Days Gone last night. Will prob be going for the plat now.

Didn't have anywhere near as many issues as Soup did, especially technically. Absolutely none of that texture stuff, only framerate dips in specific areas on the map.

The game itself is pretty much just going through the motions of what ppl expect from a big open world game, unfortunately it's the motions of a few years ago not a post RDR2, Odyssey, BotW world. 

Unlike soup I thought the story greatly improves in the final third of the game, it's still far from great but there are good characters (none of which are the main character, Deacon) that you eventually somewhat care about.

The game itself is massive. Did not think this would be a 40-50 hour game, but it is and it's probably a detriment in this case. Takes too long to get going and too much unimportant stuff in between the important sections.

One major take away is that after GoW and it's incredible one camera shot and fluid gameplay + cutscene and story telling, a game like this that has numerous longish load times in between major story beats and in the middle of missions is incredibly jarring now. It heavily took away from tension, suspense and momentum in nearly every occasion there was any.

The biggest positive is by far the Hordes, with one in particular being a huge highlight. The horde fight during a story mission at the Sawmill is imo the best zombie esque battle/section in a zombie game to date. The environmental design of that specific location and the multiple routes and ability to use the environment to your advantage is what the game should've always been about. Seeing freakers flood from every corner, from the roofs, doors, bursting through broken wooden sheds, etc was amazing.

 

Overall a 7/10 for me. 

Big advantage from coming out at a fairly quiet time cause eitherwise it would've been dropped in favour of something else as the first 10 hours or so are a slog.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Days Gone last night. Will prob be going for the plat now.

Didn't have anywhere near as many issues as Soup did, especially technically. Absolutely none of that texture stuff, only framerate dips in specific areas on the map.

The game itself is pretty much just going through the motions of what ppl expect from a big open world game, unfortunately it's the motions of a few years ago not a post RDR2, Odyssey, BotW world. 

Unlike soup I thought the story greatly improves in the final third of the game, it's still far from great but there are good characters (none of which are the main character, Deacon) that you eventually somewhat care about.

The game itself is massive. Did not think this would be a 40-50 hour game, but it is and it's probably a detriment in this case. Takes too long to get going and too much unimportant stuff in between the important sections.

One major take away is that after GoW and it's incredible one camera shot and fluid gameplay + cutscene and story telling, a game like this that has numerous longish cutscenes in between major story beats and in the middle of missions is incredibly jarring now. It heavily took away from tension, suspense and momentum in nearly every occasion there was any.

The biggest positive is by far the Hordes, with one in particular being a huge highlight. The horde fight during a story mission at the Sawmill is imo the best zombie esque battle/section in a zombie game to date. The environmental design of that specific location and the multiple routes and ability to use the environment to your advantage is what the game should've always been about. Seeing freakers flood from every corner, from the roofs, doors, bursting through broken wooden sheds, etc was amazing.

 

Overall a 7/10 for me. 

Big advantage from coming out at a fairly quiet time cause eitherwise it would've been dropped in favour of something else as the first 10 hours or so are a slog.

unfortunately it's the motions of a few years ago not a post RDR2, Odyssey, BotW world. “ 

 

exactly! It felt like something that would have scored better last gen. People can knock on Ubisoft, but ass creed odyssey really takes open world gaming to new levels. The same with RDR2’s world. While the missions were just ok, but its world felt alive and intricate, with stellar story telling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

unfortunately it's the motions of a few years ago not a post RDR2, Odyssey, BotW world. “ 

 

exactly! It felt like something that would have scored better last gen. People can knock on Ubisoft, but ass creed odyssey really takes open world gaming to new levels. The same with RDR2’s world. While the missions were just ok, but its world felt alive and intricate, with stellar story telling. 

Yeah, this game clearly had certain issues during development and the delays cause it to become outdated as the industry and the genre moved forward.

 

As you said, ppl continually hate on Ubi but what they do year in year out with AC and that genre is amazing. The amount of open world games they've released since Days Gone was in development is astounding and the amount of changes, upgrades and evolutions they've done while releasing yearly or biyearly installments outweighs most series. 

 

Odyssey alone now has somehow set the standard for a game being able to be a technical masterpiece, 50+ in length, have great characters, good story and also be about player choice. All that on top of superb rpg mechanics, the best horse controls in a game to date, great combat (especially on hard) with a variety of weapons and variety in it's gameplay (stealth, melee combat, bow combat, sea combat, etc). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For the tech savy ppl here. I've always wondered why different people can have such differing performance or technical performances from standardised consoles. Like in this most recent case the vast difference between soup and I on Days Gone with both using the Pro. I get how that happens on PC given the big range in differing hardware and even software on individual PCs. But for consoles I never understood why. Even for many other games, for eg, I had far more issues with Anthem that my friends did, and vice versa for other games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, this game clearly had certain issues during development and the delays cause it to become outdated as the industry and the genre moved forward.

 

As you said, ppl continually hate on Ubi but what they do year in year out with AC and that genre is amazing. The amount of open world games they've released since Days Gone was in development is astounding and the amount of changes, upgrades and evolutions they've done while releasing yearly or biyearly installments outweighs most series. 

 

Odyssey alone now has somehow set the standard for a game being able to be a technical masterpiece, 50+ in length, have great characters, good story and also be about player choice. All that on top of superb rpg mechanics, the best horse controls in a game to date, great combat (especially on hard) with a variety of weapons and variety in it's gameplay (stealth, melee combat, bow combat, sea combat, etc). 

Damn straight man! It’s why I went back to Odyssey. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...