Death Mark (Horror VN, PS4 / Switch / Vita)

death_mark_headerfjedi.png

Opencritic: All Platforms (84) 

Reviews:

• EGM - 8/10
    Death Mark is relatively short, it’s rather low-key in its gameplay ambitions, it could easily have presented bigger and more fleshed-out versions of its ideas, and I’m not totally happy with the way it wrapped up in the end. And yet, the game accomplishes what it sets out to do rather fantastically, in a surprisingly emotional experience that’s long enough to become engrossed in the story but not so long that it wears said story too thin. I was surprised—and even at times frightened—by Death Mark, and glad that its blood-stained beauty wasn’t simply cover deep.
  • RPG Fan - 8.5/10
    Experience Inc. are on to something exciting with Death Mark; it's a quiet, slow-burning horror the likes of which we rarely see in favor of unrelenting, high octane scarefests. Playing it alone in the dark with headphones on is incredibly affecting, and yet its misguided swerves into fetish territory make me hesitant to casually recommend it. A follow-up to Death Mark that focuses on the scares without getting bogged down with tacked-on titillation could be really special. Hopefully spiritual sequel NG, which recently released in Japan, will be just that.
  • Playstation Lifestyle - 8/10
    Death Mark is classic, Japanese, video game horror. It’s essentially a collection of ghost stories, wrapped up in a mysterious package and enhanced with investigative gameplay and life or death moments that test your logic and ability to pay attention. It’s more than a visual novel, although not all of its strange ideas land gracefully. And, it sometimes struggles to find its thematic voice, including, or especially, when Death Mark opts to take pleasure in baring its fangs at its women. Horror works often struggle to straddle such lines, but ultimately there is an element of responsibility to tackling certain subject material that I do not believe is handled with care here. On the other hand, Death Mark does nail its atmosphere of otherwordly unpredictability, looming dread, and urgency that sells its central plot quite well.