Gigabyte pushes NVMe SSD to 15GB/s on PCIe4.0 using RAID

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=32424

Jesus christ...  And PCIe5.0 spec was just finalized this week.. meaning those speeds could easily be doubled in a couple of years.

This particular SSD wont likely ever be released as it would be more expensive than a 2080ti lmao.. but still.. the tech is there, and bandwidth is about to get a huge boost in the next couple of years.

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Why wouldn't this SSD be released? They wouldn't be showing it off if it wasn't going to be released.

Because it's prohibitively expensive..  Gigabyte made it to show off what PCIe4.0 could offer.

Tons of stuff at shows never gets released and are proof-of-concepts. 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Because it's prohibitively expensive..  Gigabyte made it to show off what PCIe4.0 could offer.

Tons of stuff at shows never gets released and are proof-of-concepts. 

I feel pretty confident that the add-in card and 2TB NVMe drives will be hitting the shelves. The setup appears to just be four 2TB NVMe drives in RAID 0. I used to RAID 0 my shitty HDDs before SSDs were affordable in 2012. lol

12 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I feel pretty confident that the add-in card and 2TB NVMe drives will be hitting the shelves. The setup appears to just be four 2TB NVMe drives in RAID 0. I used to RAID 0 my shitty HDDs before SSDs were affordable in 2012. lol

Well, there's already cards like that...

Anyway, it costs $1900...  there's no market for this in the consumer space.  It's essentially just a "show off" product.

40 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well, there's already cards like that...

Anyway, it costs $1900...  there's no market for this in the consumer space.  It's essentially just a "show off" product.

There's always a market, albeit niche. Definitely not a show off product, this will be the real deal when PCIe 4.0 SSDs show up. I could RAID 0 four 2TB NVMe drives and get sick speeds today. Nothing will be different with these newer gen4 NVMe drives.

Anyways, it doesn't have to be four 2TB drives... it could be four 256GB NVMe drives and still get the same performance.

Edited by lynux3