ATTN hermits! i'm building a DIY external SSD (edit: nvm i'm going to stay with lacie, due to better stability)

i've seen lots of tutorials online and it's simple af. however, what's the best brand for the buck for NVMe drives? i would like to create several 4tb units.

i'm considering this enclosure, since i have 3 thunderbolt 4 ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-External-Station-Tool-Free-Portable/dp/B08P7L6SDD?tag=rya016-20&keywords=acasis enclosure&qid=1645977136&sprefix=acasis en,aps,225&sr=8-3&linkId=a1c53c47c1271cadaf6d72c82346d5d5&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&geniuslink=true

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i've seen lots of tutorials online and it's simple af. however, what's the best brand for the buck for NVMe drives? i would like to create several 4tb units.

i'm considering this enclosure, since i have 3 thunderbolt 4 ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-External-Station-Tool-Free-Portable/dp/B08P7L6SDD?tag=rya016-20&keywords=acasis enclosure&qid=1645977136&sprefix=acasis en,aps,225&sr=8-3&linkId=a1c53c47c1271cadaf6d72c82346d5d5&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&geniuslink=true

That enclosure maxes out at 2800MB/s so I assume you're looking for Gen3 3.5GB/s SSDs right?

Just now, Remij said:

That enclosure maxes out at 2800MB/s so I assume you're looking for Gen3 3.5GB/s SSDs right?

yeah, 2500-2800 is what i'm targeting. i need to be able to have smooth playback with 6k videos without having to create proxies. my 2tb lacie rugged ssd gets about 2800, but that shit is $700 ($550 w/ my $150 apple credit).

30 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

@Remij if there's a better enclosure for the money, i'm open. i don't mind spending $$$ if i'm getting the best speeds for the best price.

I will look into it later tonight for you.  Now that I have some idea of you want.  The biggest thing will be not paying for speed that your enclosure is not going to support.  That also helps because Gen 3 SSDs are cheaper, which means that you could instead get more capacity.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

I will look into it later tonight for you.  Now that I have some idea of you want.  The biggest thing will be not paying for speed that your enclosure is not going to support.  That also helps because Gen 3 SSDs are cheaper, which means that you could instead get more capacity.

That would be a glorious trade off. I would like to get 4, if possible. 2 would be backups. My other (main) backups would be raid drives, which we have tons of. We are also getting a cloud service too. Thanks again! 

• -GD-X★ changed the title to ATTN hermits! i'm building a DIY external SSD (edit: nvm i'm going to stay with lacie, due to better stability)

@Remij hey bro,i'm just going to stick with two 4tb lacie pro rugged ssds. they are $1,000 a piece, but they are stable af. considering how expensive the projects are that i'm working on, i can't trust enclosures that have a lot of mixed reviews. yeah, diy would save me $300-$400 per drive, but i need reliability. thanks anyhow!

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

@Remij hey bro,i'm just going to stick with two 4tb lacie rugged ssds. they are $1,000 a piece, but they are stable af. considering how expensive the projects are that i'm working on, i can't trust enclosures that have a lot of mixed reviews. yeah, diy would save me $300-$400 per drive, but i need reliability. thanks anyhow!

Ah ok man, that's fair, and a good point.. dependability is extremely important. :fblike: 

• Upvote 1