Digital Foundry - A Plague Tale: Requiem performance improvements and PC comparison

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Dude.....you're basically going around telling people that if they get a 3070Ti they're all set to play games at 4K60 FPS. That is completely misleading and I posted about my own experience with many 2022 games to prove it. You're just setting up potential buyers for disappointment with claims like that. And the many benchmarks out there will back me up.

That is NOT what I'm saying... jesus christ :tom: 

I'm the one who's been posting benchmarks here dude.... :drake: 

No shit you can make any GPU buckle with retarded settings.  You're out here acting like you can't play any games at 4K 60.... which is far more misleading than what I'm saying...  Again, NO SHIT you're not going to be playing with maxed out Ultra settings and ultra RT on the latest games at 4K 60.  But you CAN adjust settings and get there.  Settings which can have a large impact on performance with very little visual return.  You were JUST commenting about how A Plague Tale scales very little above Medium settings of the console :drake: 

Aren't you on this forum talking about how console games have better graphics and production values?  Then when they come to PC and they're medium and high settings, you're whining about needing Ultra settings all of a sudde?   Why do I feel like I constantly have to school you on this basic bullshit every time because of your unrealistic expectations and frankly idiotic parameters as to what's acceptable?  Oh that's right, you MUST game at Ultra settings... so you can complain about how much performance sucks...:danylol: 

Edited by Remij
12 minutes ago, Remij said:

That is NOT what I'm saying... jesus christ :tom: 

I'm the one who's been posting benchmarks here dude.... :drake: 

No shit you can make any GPU buckle with retarded settings.  You're out here acting like you can't play any games at 4K 60.... which is far more misleading than what I'm saying...  Again, NO SHIT you're not going to be playing with maxed out Ultra settings and ultra RT on the latest games at 4K 60.  But you CAN adjust settings and get there.  Settings which can have a large impact on performance with very little visual return.  You were JUST commenting about how A Plague Tale scales very little above Medium settings of the console :drake: 

Aren't you on this forum talking about how console games have better graphics and production values?  Then when they come to PC and they're medium and high settings, you're whining about needing Ultra settings all of a sudde?   Why do I feel like I constantly have to school you on this basic bullshit every time because of your unrealistic expectations and frankly idiotic parameters as to what's acceptable?  Oh that's right, you MUST game at Ultra settings... so you can complain about how much performance sucks...:danylol: 

You still fail to take so many different aspects into consideration. You do know that A LOT of games still don't even implement DLSS or FSR right? So even without ray tracing, it would be basically impossible to run those games at 4K/60FPS on a 3070Ti. And no its not unreasonable to want to play most games at ultra settings or close to it. Thats been the one thing that hermits have bragged about since the early days of PC gaming yet somehow you're now trying to argue that its ok to match console settings instead :really:

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You still fail to take so many different aspects into consideration. You do know that A LOT of games still don't even implement DLSS or FSR right? So even without ray tracing, it would be basically impossible to run those games at 4K/60FPS on a 3070Ti. And no its not unreasonable to want to play most games at ultra settings or close to it. Thats been the one thing that hermits have bragged about since the early days of PC gaming yet somehow you're now trying to argue that its ok to match console settings instead :really:

And which graphically demanding games don't support DLSS/FSR Twinky? 

And no... it isn't impossible... you ADJUST THE SETTINGS.

And yes, it's unreasonable to claim that consoles are great.... at medium settings 30fps..... and then bitch and complain that PC sucks because you're not getting double the framerate at Ultra....

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

And which graphically demanding games don't support DLSS/FSR Twinky? 

And no... it isn't impossible... you ADJUST THE SETTINGS.

And yes, it's unreasonable to claim that consoles are great.... at medium settings 30fps..... and then bitch and complain that PC sucks because you're not getting double the framerate at Ultra....

I haven't gotten a 4K monitor yet because I know my GPU would struggle If I played at those resolutions, but whatever you say....

Just now, Twinblade said:

I haven't gotten a 4K monitor yet because I know my GPU would struggle If I played at those resolutions, but whatever you say....

You can play TONS of games at 4K 60fps.  There's graphically demanding ones which you can't... but you can then drop needless ultra settings and do it.  Then there's RT... where you have DLSS.. and you can still drop some settings.....

You're basically talking a lot of shit, because you simply want to run Ultra settings... knowing that it's often vastly more demanding with very little visual return.  Your pathetically childish attitude of "but I dun wanna! :cry:" when it comes to dropping any settings below their max is what makes me call you out for stupid shit.

Consoles could be reconstructed 4K running at 1440p internally, medium settings... and run at 30-40fps... and you say they're great!!   But then on PC... running at native 4K, Ultra settings... you talk down about the performance...  You have UNREALISTIC expectations...  

RE Engine games look awesome, and run great on your GPU... Horizon ZD maxed out without DLSS/FSR over 60fps.  12 game average above 60fps at 4K max settings..

RE3_4K.png HZD_4K.png

Average_4K.png

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

You can play TONS of games at 4K 60fps.  There's graphically demanding ones which you can't... but you can then drop needless ultra settings and do it.  Then there's RT... where you have DLSS.. and you can still drop some settings.....

You're basically talking a lot of shit, because you simply want to run Ultra settings... knowing that it's often vastly more demanding with very little visual return.  Your pathetically childish attitude of "but I dun wanna! :cry:" when it comes to dropping any settings below their max is what makes me call you out for stupid shit.

Consoles could be reconstructed 4K running at 1440p internally, medium settings... and run at 30-40fps... and you say they're great!!   But then on PC... running at native 4K, Ultra settings... you talk down about the performance...  You have UNREALISTIC expectations...  

RE Engine games look awesome, and run great on your GPU... Horizon ZD maxed out without DLSS/FSR over 60fps.  12 game average above 60fps at 4K max settings..

RE3_4K.png HZD_4K.png

Average_4K.png

So if someone buys a 3070Ti now they can go back 2-3 years and play those older games at 4K? How does that help your argument? I was referring to NEWER games. Every game I posted (except Squad) came out this year and they're more demanding than Horizon or RE3.

I doubt someone is going to invest in a modern GPU now for the purpose of playing games that came out years ago.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So if someone buys a 3070Ti now they can go back 2-3 years and play those older games at 4K? How does that help your argument? I was referring to NEWER games. Every game I posted (except Squad) came out this year and they're more demanding than Horizon or RE3.

I doubt someone is going to invest in a modern GPU now for the purpose of playing games that came out years ago.

Oh I forgot you're ONLY going to play new games with your GPU.  Only games that release AFTER you buy your GPU in fact...  :roll: 

And AGAIN... you're not getting any sympathy from me when you know those games are terribly optimized, and you're running them at Ultra settings, when you could easily drop some settings, see almost no change in visuals... and get massive performance improvements..

Edited by Remij
20 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh I forgot you're ONLY going to play new games with your GPU.  Only games that release AFTER you buy your GPU in fact...  :roll: 

And AGAIN... you're not getting any sympathy from me when you know those games are terribly optimized, and you're running them at Ultra settings, when you could easily drop some settings, see almost no change in visuals... and get massive performance improvements..

Look at the Digital Foundry Plague Tale comparison you started this thread with.

On the dude's optimized settings, he was getting 45 FPS at 4K in DLSS performance mode on a 2070 Super

With all ultra settings, he was getting 38 FPS.

Thats a difference of 7FPS. Obviously that number might differ depending on the video card, but thats not at all a 'massive' performance improvement....

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Look at the Digital Foundry Plague Tale comparison you started this thread with.

On the dude's optimized settings, he was getting 45 FPS at 4K in DLSS performance mode on a 2070 Super

With all ultra settings, he was getting 38 FPS.

Thats a difference of 7FPS. Obviously that number might differ depending on the video card, but thats not at all a 'massive' performance improvement....

We already determined that game doesn't scale well above medium.....

7fps is like 15 - 20% btw... and that's almost 1/3 of the consoles entire framerate... with very little visual compromise..

And I never said it would be possible in EVERY game.  The fact remains, that in MOST games, you can easily EASILLLLLLLY.... hit 4K 60fps.  Be smart with your settings.

• Upvote 1

So a programmer on twitter opened the game up in RenderDoc to see how it draws and constructs its frames, and they looked at the rat swarms.  The game issues ~10,000 drawcalls (no wonder FPS drop LOL) Turns out in high LOD that the game renders the rats one by one. Rats can each be anywhere from 522 to 10K polys depending on the LOD.  In the scene they tested there was ~8300 rats rendered. Lower detail LODs are instanced in the mid-far region, and distant rats are merged meshes with textured blobs.

Fgf8taSXkAAqZeM?format=jpg&name=medium

Fgf95HZXoAEKtTc?format=jpg&name=medium

Pretty interesting stuff.  It's quite the visual effect though seeing that many objects moving around on screen.  But no wonder why it's super taxing on the CPU.. they're drawing a ton of rats one-by-one.  This is something that could be far more optimized than it currently is.. so hopefully we'll continue to see improvements during these demanding sections of the game.