2700x vs 8700k revisited in 10 games

With the release of the RTX 2080Ti Hardware Unboxed went back and revisited their 2700x vs 8700k benchmarks with a 10 game comparison.  Basically, the i7 8700k remains the best CPU for gaming overall.. however much like normal, when taking price into consideration, AMD is a much better value.. especially in higher resolutions.

Here's the 10 Game Average across all 3 resolutions at stock clock speeds:

44400765895_a6bb22352a_o.png

As you can see at 1080p and 1440p, the 8700k takes point, however if you look at the the 1% lows, the difference is only about 7-8% between them at both resolutions.  Meaning that during actual gaming at those resolutions, you're unlikely to notice much of a difference between the two processors overall when it comes to the lowest 1% of frametimes averaged.   They point out that both CPUs are bottlenecking the GPU at 1080p.. and you have to look at 1440p and above when testing the 2080Ti to put the bottleneck back on the GPU.

When looking at the 4K results though, you can clearly see that there's pretty much no difference between either processor.  Both provide pretty much the exact same experience.  So.. it could be argued that at 1440p, which is the most common high end gaming resolution, the 8700k can take slightly better advantage of the high end 144hz monitors.. so there is some value there... however both already provide high framerates at that resolution.  The experience is largely the same. 

If you're looking to game at 4K, the 2700x is unquestionably the better value.  As the 2700x costs ~$105 cheaper, considering that it actually comes with a cooler while the 8700k does not (lmao)... that's not to mention that the 8700k gets smoked in non-gaming applications by the 2700x due to the 2 extra cores (4 threads)

45264424232_a82478953c_o.png

This is all at base clocks mind you.  The 8700k can OC to 5GHz, which might help it do better in certain games/applications vs the 2700x OC'd.  However both roughly gain the same from OC'ing, overall.

Of course though,  Intel is feeling that heat, and thus we have the i9 - 9900K releasing on Friday.. It will be an 8 core (16 thread) part, just like the 2700x, and will likely extend Intel's gaming lead by a few percent, and will likely crush the 2700x in non-gaming apps since now it's on equal footing with the cores.  Intel has the much higher clock speed advantage, and a slight IPC advantage, although AMD has apparently caught up and is very close to the same in that regard.

The pricing of the 9900k is apparently $480 US though...(without a cooler again lmao) so those extra cores don't come free.  It's also based on coffee-lake which is the same generation as the 8700k.  It's essentially the same.. but with 2 extra cores.  It will apparently boost to 5Ghz on one core, or 4.7Ghz across all cores.. but will likely be easy to get to 5Ghz on all cores just like the 8700k was.  The biggest notable difference between the 8700k and the 9900k aside from the 2 extra cores is that the 9900k will finally use soldered thermal compound for the heatspreader.. wich should help temps considerably. .

Reviews will drop on the day of release Oct 19th.  

18 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's nice to see AMD competitive in the CPU market again, if they get their GPU side of things in order they'd be in fantastic positioning all together.

Yea definitely.  It's much better with proper competition between the two.. however, the 9900k is still too pricey imo.  I'm going to be looking at how it performs compared to the 8700k in gaming, and how it performs compared to the 2700x in non-gaming applications.  Will the increase in gaming performance be worth the ~$100 premium over the 8700k?  ...and will the performance increase over the 2700x in non-gaming be worth the ~$200 price difference?

In my opinion... not likely.  And AMD can easily respond to this... they can scale cores all day long.  The 9900k will undoubtedly be "better" in that it's faster... but will it be worth it?  Eh..

For the first time in a long time AMD is exciting again in the CPU space.  I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to what's coming next from AMD much more than Intel at this point.  Intel has a few major looming problems which I don't see an answer for.  AMD's presence increasing in the server market, their ability to scale cores much much farther than anything Intel will be able to do... Intel's 7nm issues and problems with meeting supply vs demand of their 14nm parts as well.  Possibly having to outsource production to TSMC in lieu of these issues...

AMD is gaining back mindshare... I can say that pretty confidently.  They are executing on their plans an look like they have their shit together... and they have Intel scrambling to find answers.