Red Dead Redemption 2 becomes biggest entertainment launch in history for a weekend

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

NPD is going to be interesting, I know they have the Pro bundle however people buying the Pro and X are obviously going to be more researched I guess you could say and with all the technical breakdowns against the Pro and that $100 off promo for Xbox it's going to be kind of unpredictable. 

The X charted on Amazon for October, the Pro did not, RDR2 bundle included. Also the Xbox standard version of RDR2 is currently in the #1 position. 

Hs6egTk.png

This is the UK

V20GPRf.png

I wouldn't hold too much weight to Amazon as previous. Both Nintendo and more recently Sony have had major issues with them, at a point you couldn't even preorder first party sony games on Amazon and the Pro was totally unavailable. MS is the only one to not have had any issues with them so far. 

Sony will win NPD, fairly convincingly imo. Trust me, the little bubble of educated gamers that research technical breakdowns already have the system (or all like most of us) and even then, that circle is tiny. Marketing bundles work, that's why Sony has leaned so heavily into them especially in during these later months in the year. The PS4/Xbox split on RDR2 week 1 sales was insane. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

I wouldn't hold too much weight to Amazon as previous. Both Nintendo and more recently Sony have had major issues with them, at a point you couldn't even preorder first party sony games on Amazon and the Pro was totally unavailable. MS is the only one to not have had any issues with them so far. 

Sony will win NPD, fairly convincingly imo. Trust me, the little bubble of educated gamers that research technical breakdowns already have the system (or all like most of us) and even then, that circle is tiny. Marketing bundles work, that's why Sony has leaned so heavily into them especially in during these later months in the year. The PS4/Xbox split on RDR2 week 1 sales was insane. 

What split? 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

What split? 

The 68% / 32% split in favour of PS4 for week 1 RDR2 sales in the UK.

Wayyyyyy bigger than I expected. Also on top of this breaking every PSN record around. This game was a giant for Sony. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-28-red-dead-redemption-2-uk-sales-more-than-double-the-first-game

EDIT: sorry, thought I mentioned UK in my original post regarding the split. 

Edited by madmaltese
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

The 68% / 32% split in favour of PS4 for week 1 RDR2 sales in the UK.

Wayyyyyy bigger than I expected. Also on top of this breaking every PSN record around. This game was a giant for Sony. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-28-red-dead-redemption-2-uk-sales-more-than-double-the-first-game

EDIT: sorry, thought I mentioned UK in my original post regarding the split. 

Week one? The game was available for two days, also I wouldn't get too hung up on people in the UK being representative of sales trends for an American Western, they have no relation to the societal culture behind it. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Week one? The game was available for two days, also I wouldn't get too hung up on people in the UK being representative of sales trends for an American Western, they have no relation to the societal culture behind it. 

You know what I mean, UK sales are weekly so it is always tracked as Week 1, then Week 2 etc. I'm not trying to argue semantics anyway, the number of days doesn't change the split and I'm not really trying to argue anything at all. Just discussing figures we have so far. 

Well historically when it comes to Xbox/PS4, UK is the closest idea to what is going on in the American market. Obviously not the same but since we always get UK data first it's usually a nice little clue. 

We'll see either way, but that UK split hints that the game is selling systems. Now way the split occurs without heavy bundle figures being in that number.