Are the Tales games any good?

5 hours ago, kokujin said:

I played Star ocean Last hope. and I loved the setting and rwar of it all. Space, mech, took itself seriously, not all characters were anime tropes (big headed spiky haired anxiety-ridden teens). But the rando battles against lizards made it so weak.  What do you think of that one? Which one is Star Ocean 2? The graphics have a better less-cartoon-ish look to them too, which I wish the Tales series would take.  I don't know, games can be too japanese. At least yakuza does it in a quirky manner, but shoots for realism in its cutscenes and dialogue.  Some of these JRPG series have shadowed themselves in the trope out of weakness. Yakuza 0 is awesome btw. Playing bit by bit. Just finished gambliing a street chimpira over a 100 man yen debt. Entered the kashiro credit gang building and faught my way out. From what I understand, my current boss wants me to betray my bro bro and family, and my old money-launderer had orders to have me run gang-shit on sanctuary property. Ano basho... ano basho.. ano basho.  I'd say I can follow about 75% of the story, and 90%-100% of the dialogue in subquests.  I should be reading a book, but this is well sufficient. And a lot more fun in stretches.  I'm at work, so maybe I'll read some Harry Potter Japanees today!1  I'm getting smarter bro. Will be sub-titling your games in 10 years. 

Star Ocean 4 is pure garbage. The typical superhero main dude, his dumb gf, a small girl that's always stoned as fuck, that brutus robot lmfao. and that whiny green little alien shit that turns out to be the main villain later on. 

WOW the plot twist, the dude that is in your party the whole game and constantly cries is suddenly the evil dude :D  never saw that before, sooooo original :D   

combat is boring too except for that cat girl, she was fun to play. and maybe that guy with the scythe at the end. 

if you played it, tell me what you think about that small part where you get warped back in time, at some b-rate area 51 in the desert and have to prevent a fucking nuclear reactor to blow up or some shit. fucking hell :D 

Old star ocean on snes :glad: 

star ocean 2 on ps1 :glad: 

star ocean 3 on ps2 :|  

star ocean 4 on ps3 kotz.gif

Edited by kaz
  • Haha 1

I never got that fun but desert nuclear bomb bomb sounds like an awesome ploy. I don't care if it has ratchet ass segueways and connection to everything. the Jappos are weird as fuck, just enjoy what they give you.

/social*political commentary

1 hour ago, kokujin said:

I never got that fun but desert nuclear bomb bomb sounds like an awesome ploy. I don't care if it has ratchet ass segueways and connection to everything. the Jappos are weird as fuck, just enjoy what they give you.

/social*political commentary

That happens like 1/4 into the game. Be thankful you didn't finish it. And that nuclear reactor side shit was awful.

They try to prevent it from exploding (or some shit)  and killing people and the main hero guy breaks down and cries.

How it's unfair if people die blabla and everyone else is like "you are so strong". jesus :D  

Edited by kaz
1 minute ago, kaz said:

That happens like 1/4 into the game. Be thankful you didn't finish it. And that nuclear reactor side shit was awful.

They try to prevent it from exploding (or some shit)  and killing people and the main hero guy breaks down and cries.

How it's unfair if people die blabla and everyone else is like "you are so strong". jesus :D  

nii-sama, you must find your inner crybaby bitch and command it. Let's spend 45 hours on this game 'till you believe in yourself. Then, you will fight your ex-best friend. That is Japanese way. 

1 minute ago, kokujin said:

nii-sama, you must find your inner crybaby bitch and command it. Let's spend 45 hours on this game 'till you believe in yourself. Then, you will fight your ex-best friend. That is Japanese way. 

The random encounter get really tedious too. I remember one day I couldn't sleep so I played the entire night and I shit you not I spent like 5 hours in one stupid dungeon (main story) which had only big ass halls

with almost nothing but enemies running around. It looked so bad. 

1 minute ago, Angel Jim said:

I always say tails when I flip a coin with someone. I feel I have a better chance with that than with heads.

Is it good? It is, %50 of the time.

yes jimbo

1 minute ago, kokujin said:

they say like, the nickel on the heads side juts out more so it has a slightly higher than 50% chance. Though to my luck/instict I CALL tails a lot. Why am I encouraging a shitty jimbo post. someone impale me.

I'll do it. I'm famous for my jimpale.