Remember when lemmings...

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

I'm asking you to explain what the fuck is wrong with UWP the API.... without speaking about the delivery method.  You see... I'm accusing you of conflating them... meaning that I think you're stating that UWP is a flop because of the issues the Window Store has had... and not that there's actually something wrong with the API itself...  

In every response you're saying "bu but they both are DUMPSTER FIRE".... which doesn't prove to me that you can explain what is so wrong with the API itself.

:snoop: 

UWP, UWP applications, etc. are all flops INCLUDING how those applications are distributed. Don't you understand that? You got blinders on and you can't even put two and two together. Do you even know why UWP (the API) was created?

Just now, lynux3 said:

UWP, UWP applications, etc. are all flops INCLUDING how those applications are distributed. Don't you understand that? You got blinders on and you can't even put two and two together. Do you even know why UWP (the API) was created?

And I said what was wrong with UWP?  There's a difference between the API and the applications and the delivery method.  The API itself is fine.  I even said in one of the posts above that it was a flop... but it's a flop because of the delivery method.  Hating on the API because the delivery method is garbage isn't really fair.  And the API does what it's supposed to do.... which is unify development across MS' platforms.. so despite the fact that THE STORE isn't successful... doesn't mean that there's a problem with the API... it just means the store is garbage.

And I said what was wrong with UWP?  There's a difference between the API and the applications and the delivery method.  The API itself is fine.  I even said in one of the posts above that it was a flop... but it's a flop because of the delivery method.  Hating on the API because the delivery method is garbage isn't really fair.  And the API does what it's supposed to do.... which is unify development across MS' platforms.. so despite the fact that THE STORE isn't successful... doesn't mean that there's a problem with the API... it just means the store is garbage.

It's the least supported platform, the apps break, the way these applications are distributed is an entirely other issue that even Phil Spencer recognizes and not even all of the apps developed for Xbox One were translated over to Windows... which tells me they must not be using UWP. I mean, for real, how often do you use UWP apps outside of Microsoft's games? The API was built specifically for universal apps that barely anyone actually develops or even maintains. Microsoft wanted an App Store or Google Play equivalent and failed miserably. Time for them to go back to the drawing board.

23 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It's the least supported platform, the apps break, the way these applications are distributed is an entirely other issue that even Phil Spencer recognizes and not even all of the apps developed for Xbox One were translated over to Windows... which tells me they must not be using UWP. I mean, for real, how often do you use UWP apps outside of Microsoft's games? The API was built specifically for universal apps that barely anyone actually develops or even maintains. Microsoft wanted an App Store or Google Play equivalent and failed miserably. Time for them to go back to the drawing board.

Well, I think MS has made a ton of mistakes with UWP that have resulted in people holding views like you do.  Not entirely unjustifiable, but I think the reason why it's not supported as much is due to other problems outside of the actual APIs themselves.  MS' entire messaging around it has been met with ire because people only see the walled garden aspect of it and all the negative shit.  There's truth to some of it.. but if UWP applications had been distributed on Steam, and downloaded fine.. then people wouldn't have had so much of an issue with it.  The reason why it isn't exactly taking off is because MS doesn't have a mobile presence... There's not too much reason for people to code UWP apps when there's no mobile market for it.

With regards to Xbox games... it's not the worst.  Again, not looking at the delivery and store issues...  Yes, they need to work on support and fix some things here and there... but it does it's job of unifying Xbox and Win10 development.

In all... I'd say that MS has tons of work to do with regards to UWP.. but I don't think it's a lost cause... because MS is too stubborn to let it go.  They'll find a way to make it work for them, even if it doesn't ever blow up.  I think they need to rethink how they handle permissions and give developers access to more of the OS.. but there's more pressing issues that need to be fixed before that.. to help change the perception.. because I honestly feel that people hate anything associated with the store regardless of what it does good and what it doesn't do well.

Well, I think MS has made a ton of mistakes with UWP that have resulted in people holding views like you do.  Not entirely unjustifiable, but I think the reason why it's not supported as much is due to other problems outside of the actual APIs themselves.  MS' entire messaging around it has been met with ire because people only see the walled garden aspect of it and all the negative shit.  There's truth to some of it.. but if UWP applications had been distributed on Steam, and downloaded fine.. then people wouldn't have had so much of an issue with it.  The reason why it isn't exactly taking off is because MS doesn't have a mobile presence... There's not too much reason for people to code UWP apps when there's no mobile market for it.

With regards to Xbox games... it's not the worst.  Again, not looking at the delivery and store issues...  Yes, they need to work on support and fix some things here and there... but it does it's job of unifying Xbox and Win10 development.

In all... I'd say that MS has tons of work to do with regards to UWP.. but I don't think it's a lost cause.  I think they need to rethink how they handle permissions and give developers access to more of the OS.. but there's more pressing issues that need to be fixed before that.. to help change the perception.. because I honestly feel that people hate anything associated with the store regardless of what it does good and what it doesn't do well.

Yeah. They need to overhaul the whole thing, the whole process behind developing UWP apps or just drop it entirely and go with something more practical so you can get some major support in the store. The biggest gripe about the whole thing was Microsoft wanted a cut of app/in-app purchases through the store... seeing as how open Windows has been in its entire existence not a lot of people are keen on the idea. Apple/Google got away with it because there wasn't a mobile solution at the time so its just the "norm" now, but people are starting to pick up on it. Makes you wonder how much developers/publishers are screwing over consumers in other controlled platforms like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace.

16 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah. They need to overhaul the whole thing, the whole process behind developing UWP apps or just drop it entirely and go with something more practical so you can get some major support in the store. The biggest gripe about the whole thing was Microsoft wanted a cut of app/in-app purchases through the store... seeing as how open Windows has been in its entire existence not a lot of people are keen on the idea. Apple/Google got away with it because there wasn't a mobile solution at the time so its just the "norm" now, but people are starting to pick up on it. Makes you wonder how much developers/publishers are screwing over consumers in other controlled platforms like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace.

Yes.  They need to look for new ways to engage and get people using (and remaining on) their platform.  The issue with the store itself and the delivery.... is something that should never EVER have happened and is extremely embarrassing for them... as one of the leading software giants of the world. 

MS should focus on keeping things open so that developers can be as successful as possible, while at the same time focus on releasing their own apps and games on every single store that would allow them.  Xbox games should be on Steam... straight the fuck up.  They can keep UWP.. open it up a bit so that it can be hooked into for overlay support and other basic shit like that, but distribute the games on Steam.  Allow people to buy them from everywhere... online stores, Origin, Steam, Windows Store...  Get people using Windows 10... fuck off with all the espionage shit and intrusive shit, and relax people's minds a bit... 

MS gives people too many reasons to hate them or give pause to supporting them with some of the stupid shit they do.  I think people would love to see MS fix their shit... but closing things off isn't the way to go about it.  They fucked up and missed the mobile boat... ok, I get it.. you want to try to salvage what you can... but closing off Windows isn't the right way to go about it... they need to open it up wider than ever before and just focus on maximizing their own product sales potential rather than trying to get richer off of everyone elses.