World War Z actually looks pretty awesome

Eh, looks kind of whatever. There's so many zombies and they move so fast that it seems hard to have any kind of nuance to the combat. I'm sure there can be a fun game with more of an emphasis on crowd control and treating the zombies as kind of an environmental puzzle, but not sure I trust the developers of NBA Playground to get it right.

6 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Eh, looks kind of whatever. There's so many zombies and they move so fast that it seems hard to have any kind of nuance to the combat. I'm sure there can be a fun game with more of an emphasis on crowd control and treating the zombies as kind of an environmental puzzle, but not sure I trust the developers of NBA Playground to get it right.

Well if you really look at it the zombie model is nearly identical to Left 4 Dead but on a larger and more extreme scale. The graphics look pretty good, the sound is good, the gunplay looks good, it's 4 player cooperative play. 

Ever since Left 4 Dead 2 people have been dying for a successor and this seems to roughly fit the bill minus all the corny humor. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Definitely would be up for a sequel, or modern L4D type game, considering I still play L4D2 a couple times a month.

Do you mess with all the custom maps and stuff? I always enjoyed the community created maps. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Do you mess with all the custom maps and stuff? I always enjoyed the community created maps. 

Yeah, there's only a couple vanilla maps that I enjoy at this point (Parish, No Mercy, The Airport [name escapes me ATM], Dark Carnival, Swamp Fever) so if I see an available custom map game I'm typically choosing that one.

Plus all the weapon and character/enemy skins are fantastic too - Diddy Kong as the Jockey, and DK as the Tank, 'Hard in the Paint' as the Tank's themesong. :killzone:

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well if you really look at it the zombie model is nearly identical to Left 4 Dead but on a larger and more extreme scale. The graphics look pretty good, the sound is good, the gunplay looks good, it's 4 player cooperative play. 

Ever since Left 4 Dead 2 people have been dying for a successor and this seems to roughly fit the bill minus all the corny humor. 

The gunplay didn't look good at all to me. Just a bunch of zero recoil automatic weapons, low recoil automatic explosive weapons, and zombies that are too large in number and move too quickly to really be much of a test of accuracy.

I also didn't get any sense of co-operation from that trailer or the gameplay footage from E3 and it seems like there's less opportunity for a dynamic experience on subsequent playthroughs because it's just a chain of defensive positions.

I'd love to be wrong as I like games and whether it's a great L4D3 alternative or just a great game I'd be happy. I'm just not seeing where that opportunity is based on what they've shown off. I have a couple hundred hours in each of the Killing Floor games so I'll still probably play this regardless because I'm a sucker for co-op shooters.