Windows Display Driver Model 2.7 brings support for Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

WDDM 2.7 is supported in Windows 10 build 20H1 (2004)

Nvidia and Intel have just released Insider drivers which support WDDM 2.7 and allow the GPU to directly manage it's video memory.  AMD hasn't released a driver yet, but presumably will with the upcoming RDNA2 GPUs that will support the features listed below.

Available in Windows 10 Insider with Nvidia Driver 450.12 and Intel 27.20.100.7859 only, in insider builds starting from 10.0.19041.84.

• Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: It allows the video card to directly manage its video memory, which in turn significantly improves the performance of the minimum and average FPS, and thereby reducing latency. It works regardless of the API used for games and applications such as DirectX/Vulkan/OpenGL. (According to observations at the current time before the release of Windows 10 version 2004, the option requires hardware support for the Shader Model not lower than version 6.3, which can be found through AIDA64, but not GPU-Z, as it displays not reliable information) It is supported by Nvidia Geforce video cards starting from the 10th series, as well as integrated graphics from Intel HD 500 or later in both cases, but AMD Radeon is not supported yet due to the lack of insider drivers. It is also possible that this technology is associated with the description of this patent.

• Shader Model 6.5

• DirectX 12 Raytracing Tier 1.1

• DirectX 12 Mesh Shader

• DirectX 12 Sampler Feedback: Texture Streaming, Texture-Space Shading

• DirectX 12 Video Protected Resource Support

MS is really removing a lot of the abstraction layers of their Win10 drivers and APIs.  It's damn good to see.  There's an actual perceptible performance difference here.

This latest build feels really good. :smoke: 

Edited by Remij_
24 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

I think I agree with Remij. They gotta do some shit about this gpu utilization on the drivers. If I hadn't broken my vega 56 and had more of a choice, I'd be pretty pissed off right now with AMD and the 5700xt. Mine's a 5700 flashed but same shit.

this is not completely true, a flashed 5700 does not make it the same as a 5700 XT.  When flashed you are still lacking 256 streaming processors with the 5700's 36 CUs to the 5700 XT's 40.  

As far a GPU utilization, my GPU util shows just fine using Microsoft Game Bar FPS counter. Using the Radeon 19.12.1 Adrenalin 2019 driver. 

4 hours ago, The Mother Fucker said:

this is not completely true, a flashed 5700 does not make it the same as a 5700 XT.  When flashed you are still lacking 256 streaming processors with the 5700's 36 CUs to the 5700 XT's 40.  

As far a GPU utilization, my GPU util shows just fine using Microsoft Game Bar FPS counter. Using the Radeon 19.12.1 Adrenalin 2019 driver. 

I know that but the difference is not worth it especially with all these issues. I have read of people going to the older drivers for their issues but I am not having black screens, overheating or any of that crap. In fact it has been good at OC'ing and stays pretty cool for a reference model. Just wish it put itself to good use. I tried the older drivers but then got freezing.