Digital Foundry PE5 full technical specification

It's interesting/disappointing for me that Sony didn't speak anything about Variable Rate Shading, checkerboard rendering, or Int4/8 accelerated ML at all.

That doesn't mean that support isn't there.. but those are some of the more interesting aspects of the newer architectures.  I was hoping to hear about some new checkerboard tech that Sony would have that would improve over the original implementation, but maybe it's possible that since a lot of developers just did their own thing anyway, they dropped it?

With Variable Rate Shading though.. we know MS has a patented implementation.. but it's odd that Sony never spoke about it at all.  Maybe PS5 doesn't have support for it?  That would be a shame.. and same for ML.  We know RDNA2 doesn't have tensor cores, but Series X still has support for Int4/8 operations for accelerated ML through DirectML.  I wonder if Sony's hardware is capable of that as well?

If not.. MS' console could have a decent leg up as far as performance goes.  We'll have to see.

49 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

What ever made them decide on 36 CUs at 2.2ghz is beyond me. It's a powerful next gen console, but it needs to be 50-100 cheaper than X.

The SSD setup probably pushes the system up to a similar BOM as the Series X... so they'll probably both be the same price.

12 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

If that happens they fucked up. The SSD is nowhere near worth it.

We don't know that yet.

Like I've said before.  TF's don't mean everything.. and yes, the Series X is more powerful... but how will it translate?  More than the TF's alone, I'm wondering if Sony will support VRS and Machine Learning?  That could widen the gap a bit.

But who knows how developers will dream up to use the SSD?  Maybe they can do some cool stuff... or maybe it's just 2sec vs 4sec loading... and devs just use that speed to make their lives easier..

I think they're both really close overall and it will be a bit before devs really figure out what to do with all this new technology in a meaningful way.

MS might have the smaller sequential transfer speeds (not the best indication of performance in games), but like DF said... they have other tech that they've been working on that could help mitigate differences... just like it's not about TF's... it's really not JUST about Sequential speeds...

ETc2xatUYAAdqEm?format=jpg&name=large

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

We don't know that yet.

Like I've said before.  TF's don't mean everything.. and yes, the Series X is more powerful... but how will it translate?  More than the TF's alone, I'm wondering if Sony will support VRS and Machine Learning?  That could widen the gap a bit.

But who knows how developers will dream up to use the SSD?  Maybe they can do some cool stuff... or maybe it's just 2sec vs 4sec loading... and devs just use that speed to make their lives easier..

I think they're both really close overall and it will be a bit before devs really figure out what to do with all this new technology in a meaningful way.

Obviously outside of first party won't use the SSD beyond loading speed.

Something like God of War though that switches between different epic scenes would benefit greatly.

We really need to see how RT performs, with less CUs. That's actually the most important question ATM imo.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

Obviously outside of first party won't use the SSD beyond loading speed.

Something like God of War though that switches between different epic scenes would benefit greatly.

We really need to see how RT performs, with less CUs. That's actually the most important question ATM imo.

The faster clocks will help a bit.. so the difference will be about the same as it would with traditional FP32 loads.  MS absolutely WILL have an advantage here.  How big though, remains to be see.