RAD Tools developer (Oodle Texture and Kraken Compression) chimes in on next gen console SSD benefits and reality check for console fanboys

fab1.png

fab3.png

fab4.png

fab2.png

-Both console manufacturers included SSDs to address design constrains from current gen limitations

-The goal was to make it fast enough to not have to worry about it

-PS5 goes above and beyond to the point where devs can literally be stupid about how they throw data around

-Random numbers are just peak figures... nothing utilizes peak figures.. and that's not even the point

-Sustained loads is more important, as data transfer is "bursty" meaning it goes up and down (you've seen this if you've ever transferred files in Windows)

-Upcoming gen means devs will have to store data in a way that can be transferred from Storage to Memory and immediately be used

-More headroom - less development time

-Game developers will be spending first year or two fixing code paths and optimizing engines for the new standard

Seems I was right about the fact that between MS and Sony's solution, the biggest benefit will be for developers on the development side.  It will reduce the amount of dev time required to make things work around a slower solution.  Sony went above and beyond more for their own developers benefit.

Edited by Remij
8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

"PS5 has enough headroom left to get alot more ambitious when you want to"

Nothing can be done on one that can't be done on the other.  He cites Ratchet and Clank as one cool thing... except that 2s transition becomes 4s on Xbox... whoopty doo :woo: 

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Nothing can be done on one that can't be done on the other.  He cites Ratchet and Clank as one cool thing... except that 2s transition becomes 4s on Xbox... whoopty doo :woo: 

except when you want to get more ambitious with your game design like he said.... "PS5 has enough headroom left to get alot more ambitious when you want to"

2 hours ago, Remij said:

People forgetting the the world switches in The Medium with zero load times too 

2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

except when you want to get more ambitious with your game design like he said.... "PS5 has enough headroom left to get alot more ambitious when you want to"

Nope.  "Game design wise"... you can't do something on one you can't on another.  Developers could potentially make more "unique" assets.. for a PS5 game... but there's a very good reason why they wont.

One that he alludes to, but doesn't outright say, is storage SIZE limitations.  Developers for PS5 can't even go THAT crazy with it... because there's not enough storage period for them to use.  This is also what developers stated during the UE5 demo after it was unveiled.  The sheer SIZE of having all that UNIQUE content and 8K textures... would mean that developers couldn't hope to actually deliver that much unique content.. because that would explode development costs and time.  They have budgets.. and they have development timelines... there's realistically only so much they can do within those limitations.. as well as the limited size of the drive.  200 - 300GB games?  Is NOT going to be common.. definitely not for a while anyway.

So like I said... instead of warping somewhere in 2 seconds... it's 4 seconds on Xbox... whoopty doo :woo: 

Edited by Remij
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nope.  "Game design wise"... you can't do something on one you can't on another.  Developers could potentially make more "unique" assets.. for a PS5 game... but there's a very good reason why they wont.

One that he alludes to, but doesn't outright say, is storage SIZE limitations.  Developers for PS5 can't even go THAT crazy with it... because there's not enough storage period for them to use.  This is also what developers stated during the UE5 demo after it was unveiled.  The sheer SIZE of having all that UNIQUE content and 8K textures... would mean that developers couldn't hope to actually deliver that much unique content.. because that would explode development costs and time.  They have budgets.. and they have development timelines... there's realistically only so much they can do within those limitations.. as well as the limited size of the drive.  200 - 300GB games?  Is NOT going to be common.. definitely not for a while anyway.

So like I said... instead of warping somewhere in 2 seconds... it's 4 seconds on Xbox... whoopty doo :woo: 

Next gen blast processing :dame:

Initially that's what it will be used for, but as the gen goes on it will also impact game design and as he said PS5 has more headroom left to get alot more ambitious :whew:

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Next gen blast processing :dame:

Initially that's what it will be used for, but as the gen goes on it will also impact game design and as he said PS5 has more headroom left to get alot more ambitious :whew:

I already explained to you why they can't get THAT ambitious :smilecry: 

If they release 300GB games this gen... I'll be surprised.

54 minutes ago, Remij said:

I already explained to you why they can't get THAT ambitious :smilecry: 

If they release 300GB games this gen... I'll be surprised.

Did I say go unlimited with their ambitions? No..... All I said is that PS5 has the additional headroom to get ALOT MORE ABITIOUS than Xbox. :shrug:

Just now, Goukosan said:

Did I say go unlimited with their ambitions? No..... All I said is that PS5 has the additional headroom to get ALOT MORE ABITIOUS than Xbox. :shrug:

Raw spec wise.. the headroom is there... but I'm telling you that devs wont be able to utilize it because they are still within the constraints of Physical media 100GB discs AND storage limitations...

Thus you're not going to get anything on PS5 that you couldn't do on Xbox game design-wise.

Just now, Remij said:

Raw spec wise.. the headroom is there... but I'm telling you that devs wont be able to utilize it because they are still within the constraints of Physical media 100GB discs AND storage limitations...

Thus you're not going to get anything on PS5 that you couldn't do on Xbox game design-wise.

Yes that won't happen for the first two and a half years.... but by year 3 Sony first party studios will be taking full advantage of this additional headroom. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Yes that won't happen for the first two and a half years.... but by year 3 Sony first party studios will be taking full advantage of this additional headroom. 

And how will they do that when they are limited by size restrictions?

Genuine question.  How do you expect them to take full advantage of something when they are limited by disc size, and storage size?  They can't have games with 3 discs 100GB each... for 300GB games...  Developers have already chimed in that creating unique assets for everything would explode development costs and time.. and even studios like Sony Santa Monica couldn't hope to make a game like that.

There's very real-world restrictions stopping them from creating the content needed to take advantage of all that headroom.  So like I said... 2 seconds vs 4 seconds.. loading a new area.  Nothing mindblowing.  Both equally incredible. 

Just now, Remij said:

And how will they do that when they are limited by size restrictions?

Genuine question.  How do you expect them to take full advantage of something when they are limited by disc size, and storage size?  They can't have games with 3 discs 100GB each... for 300GB games...  Developers have already chimed in that creating unique assets for everything would explode development costs and time.. and even studios like Sony Santa Monica couldn't hope to make a game like that.

There's very real-world restrictions stopping them from creating the content needed to take advantage of all that headroom.  So like I said... 2 seconds vs 4 seconds.. loading a new area.  Nothing mindblowing.  Both equally incredible. 

Yes both are incredible and leaps and bounds over this gen, but if you think Sony won't utilize the additional headroom available in PS5 for its first party games by year 3.....then what can I tell you.    Not going to go back and forth..... we wil eventually see how this plays out. 

Time will tell

Just now, Goukosan said:

Yes both are incredible and leaps and bounds over this gen, but if you think Sony won't utilize the additional headroom available in PS5 for its first party games by year 3.....then what can I tell you.    Not going to go back and forth..... we wil eventually see how this plays out. 

Time will tell

Well, I said that I think Sony will utilize the additional headroom to improve ease of development for their studios.

I'm sure they'll do incredible stuff.  Just like I'm sure devs on Xbox will as well.  I just simply told you that what's possible on one, will be possible on the other... just double the loading time from say 2-3 sec to 4-6 sec :shrug: