PS5 not doing so great in Japan?

19 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Hence why I said a few months ago

PS5 is just as supply constrained now as in January

There is nothing to indicate it won’t do as well as PS4 did either

Fair enough.

Just now, Quad Damage said:

so the same as ps4 then? ps5 will get all the same japanese games ps4 did, and the big ones will sell how they usually do and the niche ones will sell how they usually do, and itll still have cod too. so, point?

and what are all these big system selling firsty party japanese games ps4 had that ps5 wont, exactly? KNACK?

I never said the support of third parties games wasn't the same as with the PS4. Except that PS4 enjoyed a few years on the market with just the old 3DS as competitor, benefitting from a few games that would have normally been on Nintendo system too but wasn't such as DQXI and MHW, you know two of the biggest PS4 games, they had it exclusively but it won't happen this time. Switch got it's own exclusive MH game and there's no way Enix is not making DQ games on Switch.

So that's the difference, the Switch factor. Let's not even talk about the upcoming Switch pro.

You're laughing but Knack was one of the highest selling PS4 game in Japan and one of the only title that sold well at launch. Sony at least tried last-gen with Hot Shot Golf, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2. Their Japanese first party is non existent at the moment. So we're back to hoping that Playstation sells in Japan based on the big third parties like RE and FF... a terrible approach that has led to a total Nintendo domination of the Japanese market.

10 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Fair enough.

Japan is a handheld market and has been for like 15 years now. Im not surprised Sony have basically thrown in the towel. It’s either do what they’ve been doing or make a Switch like device and surrender the high end global market to Microsoft 

They should probably make an attempt at PSP3 though, seems like the market is hungrier for console games on handhelds than when Vita came out. In a couple years maybe they can have it as a companion device that plays underpowered PS5 games with AI up scaling

2 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Japan is a handheld market and has been for like 15 years now. Im not surprised Sony have basically thrown in the towel. It’s either do what they’ve been doing or make a Switch like device and surrender the high end global market to Microsoft 

They should probably make an attempt at PSP3 though, seems like the market is hungrier for console games on handhelds than when Vita came out. In a couple years maybe they can have it as a companion device that plays underpowered PS5 games with AI up scaling

They already tried that with the Vita, you could play PS4 games remotely on it, didn't help it's sales much. PSP3 would just get crushed by the Switch on arrival, way too risky. You either go hybrid or don't right now.

I have no idea what the solution is, other than trying to make the PS5 has appealing as possible in Japan with games that caters to their market.

28 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I never said the support of third parties games wasn't the same as with the PS4. Except that PS4 enjoyed a few years on the market with just the old 3DS as competitor, benefitting from a few games that would have normally been on Nintendo system too but wasn't such as DQXI and MHW, you know two of the biggest PS4 games, they had it exclusively but it won't happen this time. Switch got it's own exclusive MH game and there's no way Enix is not making DQ games on Switch.

So that's the difference, the Switch factor. Let's not even talk about the upcoming Switch pro.

You're laughing but Knack was one of the highest selling PS4 game in Japan and one of the only title that sold well at launch. Sony at least tried last-gen with Hot Shot Golf, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2. Their Japanese first party is non existent at the moment. So we're back to hoping that Playstation sells in Japan based on the big third parties like RE and FF... a terrible approach that has led to a total Nintendo domination of the Japanese market.

lmao okay knack is no laughing matter yall, pack it up ps5, you’re done without KNACK. and you just concluded tecmo, snk, and falcom games are irrelevant because they’re niche games that get outsold by cod, but are now propping up hot shots golf, last guardian, and gravity rush 2? you can’t have it both ways. none of those games moved the needle.

“So that's the difference, the Switch factor. Let's not even talk about the upcoming Switch pro”

by all means talk about switch/switch pro some more. “the switch factor will be the difference” what meaningful thing will be different in the end? will capcom, namco, sega, square etc stop putting their games on playstaion? because unless that happens I have a hard time caring about Japanese sales charts.

Edited by Quad Damage
3 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

lmao okay knack is no laughing matter yall, pack it up ps5, you’re done without KNACK. and you just concluded tecmo, snk, and falcom games are irrelevant because they’re niche games that get outsold by cod, but are now propping up hot shots golf, last guardian, and gravity rush 2? you can’t have it both ways. none of those games moved the needle.

“So that's the difference, the Switch factor. Let's not even talk about the upcoming Switch pro”

by all means talk about switch/switch pro some more. “the switch factor will be the difference” what meaningful thing will be different in the end? will capcom, namco, sega, square etc stop putting their games on playstaion? because unless that happens I have a hard time caring about Japanese sales charts.

I said Sony tried last-gen at the very least. I didn't change my narrative that niche games aren't system sellers. Knack sold well and Sony had more Japanese first party presence last-gen, those are facts, do what you want with it.

No they won't stop making Playstation games, but they'll start making more multiplats on Switch Pro. If RE Village was on Switch right now the sales would be way worse on both PS4 and PS5. That's the change, PS4 pretty much had all those games exclusively last-gen since Xbox is a non factor in Japan, if they come to Switch though, that's a different ballgame. 

5 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I said Sony tried last-gen at the very least. I didn't change my narrative that niche games aren't system sellers. Knack sold well and Sony had more Japanese first party presence last-gen, those are facts, do what you want with it.

No they won't stop making Playstation games, but they'll start making more multiplats on Switch Pro. If RE Village was on Switch right now the sales would be way worse on both PS4 and PS5. That's the change, PS4 pretty much had all those games exclusively last-gen since Xbox is a non factor in Japan, if they come to Switch though, that's a different ballgame. 

you also said those smaller niche third party Japanese games are pretty irrelevant. If you aren’t changing your narrative, then that’s true of the Japanese Sony games you mentioned. I can assure you ps5 will survive the lack hot shots and knack. ps5 will have 98% of the Japanese support ps4 had, and 98% of meaningful third party japanese software put out this gen. YOU (and Japanese consumers) can do what you want with that.

and so what if switch gets more multiplats as long as they’re still on playstaion? what will happen?

39 minutes ago, Ramza said:

They already tried that with the Vita, you could play PS4 games remotely on it, didn't help it's sales much. PSP3 would just get crushed by the Switch on arrival, way too risky. You either go hybrid or don't right now.

I have no idea what the solution is, other than trying to make the PS5 has appealing as possible in Japan with games that caters to their market.

I don’t mean remote play, it would be a hybrid like Switch capable of playing PS5 and PS4 games. Which would help solve the issue of lack of resources for games

Like you mentioned they kind of dabbled on how it could work with remote play but the tech is getting better and better to allow hybrid modes, resolution up scaling etc. than when Vita came out

MS managed to fit a downscaled Series X into a tiny box at launch so maybe it’s a possibility as a mid gen refresh option

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

you also said those smaller niche third party Japanese games are pretty irrelevant. If you aren’t changing your narrative, then that’s true of the Japanese Sony games you mentioned. I can assure you ps5 will survive the lack hot shots and knack. ps5 will have 98% of the Japanese support ps4 had, and 98% of meaningful third party japanese software put out this gen. YOU (and Japanese consumers) can do what you want with that.

and so what if switch gets more multiplats as long as they’re still on playstaion? what will happen?

All I said is that they tried. You're right that PS5 will do fine without any of those, but it would most likely also do better with a stronger Japanese first party, which they don't have at all. They should at least try, it broaden their exclusives portfolio.

About half of those sales will go to Switch instead of Playstation having a total monopoly on those games? :wonder: You know the games that actually move the Playstation out of the shelves in Japan, it would definitely impact both hardware and software sales in a negative way for Playstation.

8 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I don’t mean remote play, it would be a hybrid like Switch capable of playing PS5 and PS4 games. Which would help solve the issue of lack of resources for games

Like you mentioned they kind of dabbled on how it could work with remote play but the tech is getting better and better to allow hybrid modes, resolution up scaling etc. than when Vita came out

MS managed to fit a downscaled Series X into a tiny box at launch so maybe it’s a possibility as a mid gen refresh option

Hybrid PS5 is non feasible at the moment but yeah, down the line it might become a possible scenario. Somehow I doubt they would be willing though, they'd still be priced well above anything Nintendo offers, unless the Switch is dead by that point.

5 minutes ago, Ramza said:

All I said is that they tried. You're right that PS5 will do fine without any of those, but it would most likely also do better with a stronger Japanese first party, which they don't have at all. They should at least try, it broaden their exclusives portfolio.

About half of those sales will go to Switch instead of Playstation having a total monopoly on those games? :wonder: You know the games that actually move the Playstation out of the shelves in Japan, it would definitely impact both hardware and software sales in a negative way for Playstation.

They are restructuring Sony Japan not eliminating it

They’ve let go of a group of people who have produced nothing but flops so continuing on with that strategy was not going to produce success. We will see if what comes out of the restructure is better

25 minutes ago, Ramza said:

they will try. they already remade a niche japanese game as one of their big launch games, ported nioh1&2, and replaced knack with Astro bot, which is one of the biggest upgrades imaginable. nothing relevant was lost from ps4.

we’ve already established that  Japanese publishers won’t stop putting their games on playstaion so I don’t really give a shit about Japanese sales. 

Edited by Quad Damage
2 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

they will try. they already remade a niche japanese game as one of their big launch games, ported nioh1&2, and replaced knack with Astro bot, which is one of the biggest upgrades imaginable. nothing relevant was lost from ps4.

we’ve already established that  Japanese publishers won’t stop putting their games on playstaion so I don’t really give a shit about Japanese sales. 

I forgot about Demon's Souls. If they can secure another exclusive from From Soft that's already pretty big in of itself. Bloodborne 2 would be huge. Astro is the best thing Sony Japan has done in forever but it's still not given the attention it deserves being relegated to a free tech demo on PS5. In comparison the previous Astro Bot is one of the best VR game ever made, the best platformer Sony has ever made and the main reason to own a PSVR headset.

Playstation is still getting the same third party Japanese games and nothing is going to change that, I'm not trying to argue otherwise. Feel free to ignore the Japanese sales. lol

27 minutes ago, Voidler said:

They are restructuring Sony Japan not eliminating it

They’ve let go of a group of people who have produced nothing but flops so continuing on with that strategy was not going to produce success. We will see if what comes out of the restructure is better

I thought everyone at Sony Japan was getting the axe (except Polyphony) to focus on their western AAA games instead. At least that was the narrative on the internet at some point. 

Team Ico had to be disbanded I imagine but I'm not sure about the rest. Team Siren weren't so bad, Gravity Rush came close to actually being great and a new Siren horror game would have been interesting, I liked the one on PS3, shame they never followed up on that. Realistically I doubt any of those studios are given the resources they need to really stand out anyway. Astro Bot might be great but it also feel like a game made on a small budget and team.

33 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I thought everyone at Sony Japan was getting the axe (except Polyphony) to focus on their western AAA games instead. At least that was the narrative on the internet at some point. 

Team Ico had to be disbanded I imagine but I'm not sure about the rest. Team Siren weren't so bad, Gravity Rush came close to actually being great and a new Siren horror game would have been interesting, I liked the one on PS3, shame they never followed up on that. Realistically I doubt any of those studios are given the resources they need to really stand out anyway. Astro Bot might be great but it also feel like a game made on a small budget and team.

Team ICO was gone years ago when Ueda left which really just left the Gravity Rush and Astro team plus their outsourcing

The Gravity Rush team is sacked and they are restructuring around an expanded Astro team

• Upvote 1