PS5 not doing so great in Japan?

The week that REVIII came out. 50k PS5 sold, and PS4 version wins almost 3:1.

Resident Evil Village, which launched on May 8, followed at 149,884 retail sales in two days—111,171 copies on PlayStation 4 and 38,713 copies on PlayStation 5

1. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (The Pokemon Company, 04/30/21) – 194,385 (New)
  2. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom, 03/26/21) – 171,067 (2,141,438)
  3. [PS4] Resident Evil Village (Capcom, 05/08/21) – 111,171 (New)
  4. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 53,347 (728,009)
  5. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 42,348 (2,167,409)
  6. [PS5] Resident Evil Village (Capcom, 05/08/21) – 38,713 (New)
  7. [PS4] NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… (Square Enix, 04/22/21) – 37,824 (146,662)
  8. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 31,47 (2,554,184)
  9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 31,045 (3,824,997)
  10. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 29,549 (1,940,130)

Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on May 13.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch – 170,898 (15,981,320)
  2. Switch Lite – 65,130 (3,771,281)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 44,960 (595,871)
  4. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 8,680 (116,547)
  5. PlayStation 4 – 2,584 (7,783,139)
  6. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 1,027 (1,163,587)
  7. Xbox Series X – 808 (32,060)
  8. Xbox Series S – 399 (10,537)

People says it's because of supply constraints but I doubt it would sell much more than that. No doubt Sony ships in their own territory the amount they expect to sell and it's not great.

Starting to wonder if it will ever catch up to PS4, the PS4 had it easy for a while with little competition before the Switch came out.

13 minutes ago, Ramza said:

People says it's because of supply constraints but I doubt it would sell much more than that. No doubt Sony ships in their own territory the amount they expect to sell and it's not great.

Starting to wonder if it will ever catch up to PS4, the PS4 had it easy for a while with little competition before the Switch came out.

Sony is currently focusing on the west first and the Japan, once more Japanese centric software releases it will pick up steam. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Sony is currently focusing on the west first and the Japan, once more Japanese centric software releases it will pick up steam. 

Will it? It's not going to benefit from an exclusive Monster Hunter game and Dragon Quest game like the PS4 did. It's facing up insurmountable competition from Nintendo.

And Sony has no Japanese games anymore, they can only hope on the likes of Resident Evil or Final Fantasy which only comes out every blue moon. At least shooters has become more popular so it might help but it still not enough.

Bet your ass it will take forever before it has a one million software seller in Japan on PS5. In fact, it might never get one.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Will it? It's not going to benefit from an exclusive Monster Hunter game and Dragon Quest game like the PS4 did. It's facing up insurmountable competition from Nintendo.

And Sony has no Japanese games anymore, they can only hope on the likes of Resident Evil or Final Fantasy which only comes out every blue moon. At least shooters has become more popular so it might help but it still not enough.

Bet your ass it will take forever before it has a one million software seller in Japan on PS5. In fact, it might never get one.

Im not saying it will turn into a blockbuster in Japan.... but it will turn it around to be moderately successful. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Im not saying it will turn into a blockbuster in Japan.... but it will turn it around to be moderately successful. 

Sure, it can't be worse than right now going forward. But the real question is, can it beat the PS4?

31 minutes ago, Ramza said:

lol. sony has lots more japanese games than ff or re

1 minute ago, Quad Damage said:

lol. sony has lots more japanese games than ff or re

I mean first party. They are really focused on western side of things, only exception being Gran Turismo.

Biggest third parties they can count on are definitely from Square-Enix or Capcom. With Atlus/Sega at a distant third.

What else is there? Bandai Namco?

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

I mean first party. They are really focused on western side of things, only exception being Gran Turismo.

Biggest third parties they can count on are definitely from Square-Enix or Capcom. With Atlus/Sega at a distant third.

What else is there? Bandai Namco?

yes, bandai namco. along with arcsys, snk, tecmo, falcom. put those together with capcom, square, and sega and you realize thats every AA-AAA japanese developer/publisher out there right? lmao

It’s definitely supply constrained. This was people trying to get one a few months ago and the situation hasn’t changed much

Gouk is right, it will never be a Switch level blockbuster but it will sell as well as PS4 which is probably pretty representative of the hardcore base over there 

Just now, Voidler said:

It’s definitely supply constrained. This was people trying to get one a few months ago and the situation hasn’t changed much

Gouk is right, it will never be a Switch level blockbuster but it will sell as well as PS4 which is probably pretty representative of the hardcore base over there 

this 

43 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

yes, bandai namco. along with arcsys, snk, tecmo, falcom. put those together with capcom, square, and sega and you realize thats every AA-AAA japanese developer/publisher out there right? lmao

No shit. I was talking first party games when I said they don't have anything Japanese, I wouldn't argue that Playstation has a bad Japanese support.

But the same Japanese supports doesn't sell consoles. So they rely on the big third party games like RE and FF to sell their systems in Japan like I<ve said. SNK, Koei Tecmo and Falcom doesn't make system sellers. Believe it or not but those niche publishers games sell like horsehit in Japan. CoD is a bigger franchise in Japan than anything they have combined together.

Those smaller and niche Japanese games are pretty irrelevant.

26 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Nothing points out to PS5 selling as well as PS4 but time will tell.

By the time it will not be supply constrainted and the first batch of more passionate consumers already has one the sales will stay relatively the same at that point, there won't be a huge peak all of a sudden besides the Holiday season.

Your vid is from January.

16 minutes ago, Remij said:

Sony better try to sell all the PS5's they can over there before Nintendo releases the Switch Pro... 

Pretty much. They can't even beat the Switch Lite. :D 

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Nothing points out to PS5 selling as well as PS4 but time will tell.

By the time it will not be supply constrainted and the first batch of more passionate consumers already has one the sales will stay relatively the same at that point, there won't be a huge peak all of a sudden besides the Holiday season.

Your vid is from January.

Hence why I said a few months ago

PS5 is just as supply constrained now as in January

There is nothing to indicate it won’t do as well as PS4 did either

13 minutes ago, Ramza said:

No shit. I was talking first party games when I said they don't have anything Japanese, I wouldn't argue that Playstation has a bad Japanese support.

But the same Japanese supports doesn't sell consoles. So they rely on the big third party games like RE and FF to sell their systems in Japan like I<ve said. SNK, Koei Tecmo and Falcom doesn't make system sellers. Believe it or not but those niche publishers games sell like horsehit in Japan. CoD is a bigger franchise in Japan than anything they have combined together.

Those smaller and niche Japanese games are pretty irrelevant.

so the same as ps4 then? ps5 will get all the same japanese games ps4 did, and the big ones will sell how they usually do and the niche ones will sell how they usually do, and itll still have cod too. so, point?

and what are all these big system selling firsty party japanese games ps4 had that ps5 wont, exactly? KNACK?