Marvell announces first PCIe 5.0 SSD memory controller capable of 14GB/s

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16703/marvell-announces-first-pcie-50-nvme-ssd-controllers

ssd.png

Updated architecture with more fixed function units to reduce CPU utilization and provide consistent low latency throughput.

ssd2.png

ssd3.png

9w for just the controller alone is a lot, as stated in the comments of the article.  These are server class SSDs though, so it will be roughly a year or so before they come to consumer products.. and will likely see improvements and reductions in power envelope.

There's really also no need currently for these in the consumer space.  But Intel is supposedly bringing out PCIe 5 supported CPUs with Alder Lake and Motherboards supposedly within the year or so, so whatever happens they'll likely have drives ready to go by the time that launches.

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It'll be a while before this tech becomes mainstream, most people don't even have systems with PCIE 4.0 drives yet. Which is a shame because they're beastly.

I think the faster the transfers rate gets for these SSDs the more niche their use become.   I have two PCIe 4.0 capable systems that neither are being used for that, 1 is only the GPU and it's hardly much a  difference.

On the plus side when this does come out it will make the high cost of PCIe 4 SSDs come down,  just like PCIe 4 SSDs help made PCIe 3 SSDs easy for me to get cheap.

Not related to Marvell's announcement, but Seagate is holding an online event about PCIe Gen4 in gaming.. "diving into the future of gaming tech", and PCIe Gen4's "full throttle gameplay"..

Hmm, I wonder what that means?  There's nothing out there currently taking advantage of Gen4 NVMe drives in gaming.  Maybe some insight into DirectStorage, and AMD/Nvidia's GPU based decompression?

KrsDBc.jpg

V2pMba.jpg

HSmqVY.jpg

Probably just nothing of course.