Question about buying a pair of 5.1 speakers.

I have a very old Yamaha surround sound system (about 16 years old).

A couple of months ago one of my rear surround speakers started crackling at high frequencies.

I started looking for a replacement and to my surprise, they don't sell them anymore on that size unless you buy another 5.1 system complete with a receiver (which I don't need).

So my only choice are bookshelf speakers, which are too big and hard to mount on my current speaker stands (most bookshelf speakers are beyond 6" high and have no adjustments for mounting) OR buying a pair of headsets with good spatial sound.

Any recommendations?

Your receiver could be the cause of the noise. Try hooking up your front speakers to the rear and test the sound before doing anything else. I just replaced my old Yamaha receiver this year because of that issue. It was also the same age as yours. 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Your receiver could be the cause of the noise. Try hooking up your front speakers to the rear and test the sound before doing anything else. I just replaced my old Yamaha receiver this year because of that issue. It was also the same age as yours. 

Already did that. 

Originally, that faulty speaker was on the left front. I moved it to the surround rear right, and it is still rattling.

I did a speaker test, and all of them were fine, except at high frequencies when the subwoofer is also active.

So yeah.

I mean I have no issues replacing it since this Yamaha system has served me right for a lot of time but I don't know if I should get a good pair of headsets instead.

7 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Already did that. 

Originally, that faulty speaker was on the left front. I moved it to the surround rear right, and it is still rattling.

I did a speaker test, and all of them were fine, except at high frequencies when the subwoofer is also active.

So yeah.

I mean I have no issues replacing it since this Yamaha system has served me right for a lot of time but I don't know if I should get a good pair of headsets instead.

If you really like the room filling surround sound experience then I would go with a surround sound system.  It's just not the same experience with headphones. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, lostfool said:

If you really like the room filling surround sound experience then I would go with a surround sound system.  It's just not the same experience with headphones. 

Crap. I need a good surround sound then.

So in short, didn't want to spend too much and wasn't convinced with the limitations of a headset so I just got a pair of cheap Polk T15s.

My old receiver still works, the subwoofer still pumps good sound and only one of my five speakers was malfunctioning so I decided to not spend too much to fix the issue.

I've read that the Polks are ok, not that good but I want them for surround sound, not main them.

If my receiver or subwoofer goes dead, then yeah I'll have to replace the whole thing and won't care about price.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That 7.1 soundbar option looked hot but all the good ones start at around $700.