Digital Foundry - A Plague Tale: Requiem performance improvements and PC comparison

• ray-tracing update still isn't out
  • 2070 super at max settings, dlss performance at 4K is just over 30fps
  • nov 9th patch intends to improve performance on all systems
  • scenes that shown dips shows massive improvements
  • xbox series x still runs better than ps5
  • optimized settings (2070 Super)
  • draw distance - medium
  • console uses custom settings
  • config can match console
  • shadow maps - medium
  • dof/motion blur - medium
  • volumetric lights - medium
  • contact shadows - no real performance difference
  • ambient occlusion - medium
  • screen space reflections - medium
  • texture quality - ultra
  • 29% performance uplift over ultra at 1440p/quality dlss

Performance comparison at the exact console settings

1x34oq.png

God damn the 4090 is crazy.  4x the PS5 without DLSS and 5x with DLSS3 :D 

There's a bug on the PC version when using the 4090 cards specifically with vsync which causes the game to skip and stutter despite the frametimes being locked.  Disabling vsync fixes the issue.

Good to see them working on improving the performance across all platforms.  Those are some nice gains on all platforms.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The performance improvements are pretty nice. Also interesting how most of the graphic settings don't seem to have an effect at all when you go higher than medium.

The game was tailored for next gen platforms, but is quite heavy.  They probably didn't want to push things much further, so higher quality assets and textures were never made.

The FPS dips pretty hard even on PC due to the CPU during the rat setpieces.. but they've been improving that so it's not so bad.  They'll probably continue to work away at it, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them add a 1080p/60fps mode to the consoles if they get it close enough.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The 4090 is the true current gen standard. Double the framerates of a 3080, DLSS asides. I don't know shit, but I know that's awesome.

It's honestly stupidly powerful.  I don't even use DLSS2 or 3 unless I know that the image actually looks better than native.. because it's simply not necessary with current games.  This thing completely fucking chews through them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

It's honestly stupidly powerful.  I don't even use DLSS2 or 3 unless I know that the image actually looks better than native.. because it's simply not necessary with current games.  This thing completely fucking chews through them.

Wait, so this gen consoles gets outperformed by a 2080? (at least in this game) Am I reading that right?

I could get through this gen with a 3070/3080 easily then, especially at a lower resolution than 4k, which I don't mind. Man, this is great, I'll get a cost-efficient PC next time that will last me a couple of years without feeling like I'm gaming on a toaster. 

On 2022-11-17 at 6:48 AM, Ramza said:

Wait, so this gen consoles gets outperformed by a 2080? (at least in this game) Am I reading that right?

I could get through this gen with a 3070/3080 easily then, especially at a lower resolution than 4k, which I don't mind. Man, this is great, I'll get a cost-efficient PC next time that will last me a couple of years without feeling like I'm gaming on a toaster. 

Bro my PC is legit over a decade old :hest: , only switched GPU once. You are golden with 3070/3080 for the entire gen and beyond if you don't expect the most graphic intense settings. 

Edited by kaz
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

My 3070Ti has been killing it at 1440p in all the recent games i've played. You don't have to go much higher than that or a 3080 as long as you don't plan on gaming at 4K (though it might be possible in some games if you use DLSS).

A 3070ti is perfectly fine for 60fps 4K gaming.  If you really have to, turn down a couple settings a single notch and you're easily good... and that's without DLSS...

1440p and 4K average FPS

average-fps_2560_1440.png - average-fps_3840-2160.png

Edited by Remij
54 minutes ago, Remij said:

A 3070ti is perfectly fine for 60fps 4K gaming.  If you really have to, turn down a couple settings a single notch and you're easily good... and that's without DLSS...

1440p and 4K average FPS

average-fps_2560_1440.png - average-fps_3840-2160.png

No way dude. The majority of graphically demanding games won’t run at 60FPS/4K on this card. Especially if ray tracing is a part of the equation.

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

No way dude. The majority of graphically demanding games won’t run at 60FPS/4K on this card. Especially if ray tracing is a part of the equation.

RT obviously changes things... but let's not act like you can't play games at 4K 60fps.

Have you even ever tried?  I played a lot of games 4K 60fps+ on my 2080ti.

Edited by Remij
19 minutes ago, Remij said:

RT obviously changes things... but let's not act like you can't play games at 4K 60fps.

Have you even ever tried?  I played a lot of games 4K 60fps+ on my 2080ti.

yeah maybe shit like vampire survivors or some other small indie game :D  That’s not possible for the majority of games especially  recent triple A ones.

44 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

yeah maybe shit like vampire survivors or some other small indie game :D  That’s not possible for the majority of games especially  recent triple A ones.

That's pure BS lmfao...  Dude I had a 2080ti.. I know what it is capable of.

metro-exodus-3840-2160.png red-dead-redemption-2-3840-2160.png

death-stranding-3840-2160.png assassins-creed-valhalla-3840-2160.png

Like I said, drop a setting or 2 from ultra and 4K 60 is easily doable.

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Remij said:

That's pure BS lmfao...  Dude I had a 2080ti.. I know what it is capable of.

Most of the graphically demanding games i've played this year alone:

Dying Light 2

SteelRising

Squad

Syberia The World Before

The Quarry

Plague Tale Requiem

Martha Is Dead

Star Ocean The Divine Force

Sonic Frontiers

I've love to know which of those i'd be able to play at 4K/60FPS.....please enlighten me :mjpls:

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Most of the graphically demanding games i've played this year alone:

Dying Light 2

SteelRising

Squad

Syberia The World Before

The Quarry

Plague Tale Requiem

Martha Is Dead

Star Ocean The Divine Force

Sonic Frontiers

I've love to know which of those i'd be able to play at 4K/60FPS.....please enlighten me :mjpls:

Turn some settings down dummy.  No shit you aren't going to run DL2 with RT maxed out at 4K 60...

And LOL Sonic, Star Ocean, SteelRising, and Syberia aren't graphically demanding, they're just terribly optimized :tom: 

And again, in the above post.... we're not even taking DLSS2 into account.

4K60 is doable on your card... especially at console settings.  You're just being a dumbass.

Edited by Remij
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Turn some settings down dummy.  No shit you aren't going to run DL2 with RT maxed out at 4K 60...

And LOL Sonic, Star Ocean, SteelRising, and Syberia aren't graphically demanding, they're just terribly optimized :tom: 

And again, in the above post.... we're not even taking DLSS2 into account.

4K60 is doable on your card... especially at console settings.  You're just being a dumbass.

Them being unoptimized isn't the point. No PC game is 100% optimized. The point is if you're playing on PC 4K 60FPS is still NOT a reasonable target for a 3070Ti in the majority of modern games, and likely the 3080 as well since its not far off performance wise.

And why are you bringing up console settings? The point of PC gaming is to be able to run games beyond console settings....not at the same level :| 

Just now, Twinblade said:

Them being unoptimized isn't the point. No PC game is 100% optimized. The point is if you're playing on PC 4K 60FPS is still NOT a reasonable target for a 3070Ti, and likely the 3080 as well since its not far off performance wise.

4K 60 for that card is PERFECTLY reasonable... if you adjust some settings..

And again, DLSS2 is in most graphically demanding titles that release now... 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

4K 60 for that card is PERFECTLY reasonable... if you adjust some settings..

And again, DLSS2 is in most graphically demanding titles that release now... 

I didn't spend $2K on a PC to play games at console settings :| I got it to play games at high/ultra, and at those settings 4K/60 is not achievable on a 3070Ti....

And those were just games this year.....that resolution/performance combo will only become even harder to achieve as the gen goes on.

Just now, Twinblade said:

I didn't spend $2K on a PC to play games at console settings :| I got it to play games at high/ultra, and at those settings 4K/60 is not achievable on a 3070Ti....

Fuck right off :tom:

There's no helping an idiot who can't help himself :hest:  

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Fuck right off :tom:

There's no helping an idiot who can't help himself :hest:  

Dude.....you're basically going around telling people that if they get a 3070Ti they're all set to play games at 4K60 FPS. That is completely misleading and I posted about my own experience with many 2022 games to prove it. You're just setting up potential buyers for disappointment with claims like that. And the many benchmarks out there will back me up.