If someone put a gun to your head, and said you had to bet on a single videogame company's future in the form of its shares on the stock market...

33 minutes ago, Ramza said:

What is the rate intervals at which you get dividends? Is it once a year, once every quarter, once a month? I assume it's once a year, right? 

Depends on the company, but the majority do quarterly.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Ramza said:

What is the rate intervals at which you get dividends? Is it once a year, once every quarter, once a month? I assume it's once a year, right? 

With Nintendo, I think it might be twice a year. For a total of about 3.6% combined paid throughout the year. 

I'm not too worried about tracking dividends. I have it set to automatically be reinvested back into stock shares, which will grow the future dividend even MORE because I have more shares. And that's not counting if Nintendo's profits increase, and they increase their dividend. In a decade, I might end up making 12% a year in dividends alone by doing nothing on an original investment.  

That's what happened to the lucky fucks who got in early on companies like Apple, 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

With Nintendo, I think it might be twice a year. For a total of about 3.6% combined paid throughout the year. 

I'm not too worried about tracking dividends. I have it set to automatically be reinvested back into stock shares, which will grow the future dividend even MORE because I have more shares. And that's not counting if Nintendo's profits increase, and they increase their dividend. In a decade, I might end up making 12% a year in dividends alone by doing nothing on an original investment.  

That's what happened to the lucky fucks who got in early on companies like Apple, 

Do they send you any type of financial statements as a small time shareholder (I don't mean to offend)? Or is it public?

I'm studying accounting you know. I'd love to see some data. 

19 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Do they send you any type of financial statements as a small time shareholder (I don't mean to offend)? Or is it public?

I'm studying accounting you know. I'd love to see some data. 

They might send 1-2 generic legal looking letters every year. I just throw them in the trash usually. 

EDIT: Oh wait, you're asking about financial statements? They definitely don't send that in the mail. Not even email. It's all publicly available. 

Edited by SheepKilla
3 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

Accounting for some of these companies is not that easy to read.

Some even manipulate their numbers. 

I just focus on about 6-7 key numbers in the accounting statements and ignore the rest. 

Won't be too hard for me.

I think they all do within the legal boundaries but this is not something I know well enough for the time being to say more.

You could probably just look at the profit margin % from the income statements to get a good picture. Although the video game industry is probably weird in that regard, because they probably have negative quarters and then huge fucking profits when the games actually gets released unlike companies who sell their products at a somewhat consistent rate all year long.

47 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Won't be too hard for me.

I think they all do within the legal boundaries but this is not something I know well enough for the time being to say more.

You could probably just look at the profit margin % from the income statements to get a good picture. Although the video game industry is probably weird in that regard, because they probably have negative quarters and then huge fucking profits when the games actually gets released unlike companies who sell their products at a somewhat consistent rate all year long.

Profit margin is 1 of the most important indicators, but FAR from the most important one. That's absurdly simplistic. If you buy into a company issuing debt through their shares (i.e. diluting) you're dead in the water before you even started. Would rather have a company with 0 profit margin than a company diluting shares. 

23 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

Profit margin is 1 of the most important indicators, but FAR from the most important one. That's absurdly simplistic. If you buy into a company issuing debt through their shares (i.e. diluting) you're dead in the water before you even started. Would rather have a company with 0 profit margin than a company diluting shares. 

Yeah that's just revenue and related expenditures. They could be covered in debt but they still have a good profit margin. 

Look at the balance sheet to get a true sense of a company's value based on their assets and debts among other things.