What should I be looking for, for the best PC price to performance ratio.

On 2023-06-14 at 4:58 AM, lynux3 said:

Just get a PS5. Trade it in for a PS5 Pro if one ever comes out. 

This is actually what I'm thinking about doing. I'm just waiting for a PS5 game that I really want to play but the problem is there really isn't anything. Looking at the future line-up, the only game that fits that bill for me is Dragon's Dogma 2 and that isn't releasing anytime soon.

This gen is really bland. People can blame cross gen all they want but that isn't the problem. Gaming in general has slowly been declining into creative bankruptcy for years but it's really started to show how fuckin' bad it's got this gen. And it's not getting any better in the future. 

Personally I’d say 

2560x1440p

7700x from microcenter with free ram

And a GPU like a 3090, 3080, or 6950XT is the  best bang for your buck.

The price per value charts for GPU’s are dumb because the rest of the computer  will still cost you at least $1000 ,    That should be factored in 

As well.

basically what I’m saying is a computer that costs $1800 and gets 180 FPS @ 1440p is better value than a $1200PC that gets you 100 FPS @ 1440p

Edited by Sergio Perez SP11
  • Upvote 1
On 2023-06-15 at 8:45 AM, Sabo said:

This is actually what I'm thinking about doing. I'm just waiting for a PS5 game that I really want to play but the problem is there really isn't anything. Looking at the future line-up, the only game that fits that bill for me is Dragon's Dogma 2 and that isn't releasing anytime soon.

This gen is really bland. People can blame cross gen all they want but that isn't the problem. Gaming in general has slowly been declining into creative bankruptcy for years but it's really started to show how fuckin' bad it's got this gen. And it's not getting any better in the future. 

tbh if anything this is why PC is the way to go. it's where you'll find the most variety in gaming - the lower budget space is still alive and thriving as opposed to consoles where it seems to be only AAA blockbusters and specific indies. PC you get access to all that and more, the modding community is huge, indie community is bigger with less barrier of entry for self publishing, you of course have access to all types of emulators and everything that comes with that.

outside of a handful of exclusives on the PS5, I barely turn mine on. Nintendo is the only one putting out hardware that has a distinctly different use case than PC, imo.

obviously it's hard to argue with a PS5 when it comes to value that you get for the pricepoint, but that's in the context of not having a PC. it becomes pretty redundant if you do have one. I'm fine with that, my expectation has always been that I'll want the PS5 for 5-10 exclusives throughout its lifecycle. So far we have Demon's Souls, FF16, FF7:R on the horizon...it's doing the job, but PC is the daily driver.

Edited by Casual