Star Ocean: The Second Story R announced, releases November 2 (PS4 / PS5 / Steam / Switch)

One of my favorite game. Even to this day I still enjoy it. The combat is dumb but everything else is stellar. Story, characters, narrative choices, item creation, the music... I love this game. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the new backgrounds, it's cool but something looks off. The pricing is insane considering it's still the same sprites. Lmfao.

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

One of my favorite game. Even to this day I still enjoy it. The combat is dumb but everything else is stellar. Story, characters, narrative choices, item creation, the music... I love this game. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the new backgrounds, it's cool but something looks off. The pricing is insane considering it's still the same sprites. Lmfao.

Is this a standalone game or does it build off of the first one?

Just now, Twinblade said:

Is this a standalone game or does it build off of the first one?

Standalone. The protagonist father of SO2 is a character in the first game though, it takes place in the same universe but the story is pretty much all new, they are maybe some subtle references to SO1 but nothing you need to know to get into SO2. It purely stand on it's own. 

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Standalone. The protagonist father of SO2 is a character in the first game though, it takes place in the same universe but the story is pretty much all new, they are maybe some subtle references to SO1 but nothing you need to know to get into SO2. It purely stand on it's own. 

Nice. I briefly played either the first or 2nd game (can't remember) but I never got far into it. The thought of playing one of these all the way through but with revamped graphics and other new features is kind of exciting though.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Nice. I briefly played either the first or 2nd game (can't remember) but I never got far into it. The thought of playing one of these all the way through but with revamped graphics and other new features is kind of exciting though.

I doubt you played the first, unless it was on emulator, on PSP, or the port that came out a few years ago on PS4.