Sergey Galyonkin (Director of Publishing Strategy at EPIC Games Store) says "Steam fans are going to be raging in the Spring time" :D

7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Why can't I just buy my games on PC and it not be tied to anything other than my PC?

Because games require storage space and server costs to maintain... most developers and publishers don't have the capacity to serve the entire market their games... thus 3rd parties host and sell those games to their consumers in an effort to maximize awareness and sales.  That's what makes them necessary.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Because games require storage space and server costs to maintain... most developers and publishers don't have the capacity to serve the entire market their games... thus 3rd parties host and sell those games to their consumers in an effort to maximize awareness and sales.  That's what makes them necessary.

What does that have anything to do with what I asked? Nothing. :snoop: 

13 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

What does that have anything to do with what I asked? Nothing. :snoop: 

You're too stupid to realize I answered your question.

PC games are tied to the platforms that host them in the exact same way/reason why console games are... you fucknut.  The SERVICES cost money... serving your customers costs money... which means that after the transaction is done... and you have your game... if you want to download it again you must again use the service to do so.  They WANT you to have to use their services again to do so..

If you want physical PC games back... then LMFAO... and you're still going to need a platform to host updates and mp services.

You're straight dumb as fuck man :D 

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You're too stupid to realize I answered your question.

PC games are tied to the platforms that host them in the exact same way/reason why console games are... you fucknut.  The SERVICES cost money... serving your customers costs money... which means that after the transaction is done... and you have your game... if you want to download it again you must again use the service to do so.  They WANT you to have to use their services again to do so..

If you want physical PC games back... then LMFAO... and you're still going to need a platform to host updates and mp services.

You're straight dumb as fuck man :D 

Still went right over your head. :snoop: 

36 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That's the thing, who knows where Epic is going to land with this. I wouldn't even consider spending a dime on this platform until its fleshed out, the direction is clear, their policies relating to game retrieval are solidified. 

People like Remij are retarded in this regard.

I haven't bought one game in Epic's store; that being said I have about six games in my library... :reg:

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Still went right over your head. :snoop: 

No.  Keep pretending like you didn't ask a dumb question though.

If you say that you want to be able to buy your PC games from any store on the internet because it's a PC game... then, sorry, but the same answer applies.  You have to pick one and you're beholden to that choice if you wish continued access to it.  It's also the same reason why publishers put certain games on certain consoles... these are businesses that make deals they think better facilitates their success.

It's the same reason why Walmart and Best buy don't all have the same brands and stock... ect ect 

It's called COMPETITION.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

No.  Keep pretending like you didn't ask a dumb question though.

If you say that you want to be able to buy your PC games from any store on the internet because it's a PC game... then, sorry, but the same answer applies.  You have to pick one and you're beholden to that choice if you wish continued access to it.  It's also the same reason why publishers put certain games on certain consoles... these are businesses that make deals they think better facilitates their success.

It's the same reason why Walmart and Best buy don't all have the same brands and stock... ect ect 

It's called COMPETITION.

Whoosh. :snoop: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

What am I supposed to respond to? You still haven't been able to comprehend my question. Not my fault. :shrug:

Articulate it better fuckface... instead of 3 posts in a row claiming I'm "just not getting it" :lemming: 

I love the idea of a more competition going up against STEAM. If your main concern is that Epic is going to drop off the face of the earth, then your fears are completely unfounded they're making millions every month from tweens with their parent's credit card buying cosmetics in Fortnite.

Meanwhile go back 8 years ago, and we had like 3 digital distribution networks for film and TV. Now we have:

HBO Now

Crave TV

CBS All Access

Showtime

Amazon Prime

Netflix

Hulu

Disney's new service

Criterion Channel

ESPN+

Starz

Youtube TV

And that's just off the top of my head; now sure you don't need ALL of them, or even more than a few unless you're a fan of a specific series (e.g. Star Trek: Discovery from CBS All Access) but there's a lot more fragmentation in the media distribution services than we'll ever see in the gaming distribution field.

25 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

I love the idea of a more competition going up against STEAM. If your main concern is that Epic is going to drop off the face of the earth, then your fears are completely unfounded they're making millions every month from tweens with their parent's credit card buying cosmetics in Fortnite.

And that's just off the top of my head; now sure you don't need ALL of them, or even more than a few unless you're a fan of a specific series (e.g. Star Trek: Discovery from CBS All Access) but there's a lot more fragmentation in the media distribution services than we'll ever see in the gaming distribution field.

No.. they're actually worried that Steam will be the one to drop off the face of the earth... instead of the potential for it to get better from competition.

The thing they are forgetting... is that if Steam performed as well for developers as they would want you to believe.. then this wouldn't be an issue in the first place..  But the fact is that it DOESN'T.. and developers are taking their own action.  Steam needs to get BETTER.  I don't expect Epic to replace Steam... I expect Epic to make Steam better... which is why I'm not worried about a little bit of competition killing Steam.. like they seem to be :hest: 

If Valve rolls over and dies because a little competition came their way... then FUCK THEM.

Competition is welcome. My question was very simple. Seeing as these platforms are there for digital game distribution then that's where it should stop. Their recurring revenue and getting customers to come back should be enticing gamers with services or exclusives (ala EGS), not distribution schemes. These major platforms like to hold your digital licenses hostage, associate them with an account (which is fine for license purposes) and make you use their launchers. I want to simply be able to buy a digital game (license intact) and launch it without any further hassle. I don't give a flying fuck where the game comes from as long as its delivered in a fashion that it is associated with my PC and not their license hostage system.

Edited by lynux3