Ultrawide vs. Multiple Monitors

Anyone here using an UW as opposed to multiple monitors? I think it looks much slicker from an aesthetic point of view but I've never actually used one in practice...how well does it work? My use cases for it would basically be working, poker, and gaming. Gaming is the only one I'm really wondering about, how does it handle having a fullscreen game on one side of the screen? Or do you mostly have to start using windowed mode to get it to work well? At a point does it basically treat each side (or third, i guess?) of the screen as its own monitor?

Edited by Casual

It works like a regular monitor, but wider. Games that don't support it will render you black bars on either side. I don't know about all manufacturers, but some allow you to "split" the screen. Even allow multiple inputs... One screen your PC, the other a game console, etc. They're legit to say the least. 

Edited by lynux3

They are so much nicer aesthetically than multiple monitors.  I'd like to get one, but none of them really tick off all the boxes on the checklist that I want.

2160p

120hz+

HDR

I will not ever EVER go back to a 60hz monitor... no matter the resolution.  FUUUUUUUCK that.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They are so much nicer aesthetically than multiple monitors.  I'd like to get one, but none of them really tick off all the boxes on the checklist that I want.

2160p

120hz+

HDR

I will not ever EVER go back to a 60hz monitor... no matter the resolution.  FUUUUUUUCK that.

Pretty much this also in a nutshell. I've yet to find one that fits my needs... affordably. 

Edited by lynux3
13 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It works like a regular monitor, but wider. Games that don't support it will render you black bars on either side. I don't know about all manufacturers, but some allow you to "split" the screen. Even allow multiple inputs... One screen your PC, the other a game console, etc. They're legit to say the least. 

Hmm, yeah I'd definitely want one that allows you to split the screen as opposed to black bars since a lot of the games I play I want a browser window open for one reason or another.

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

2160p

120hz+

HDR

Guess this seems to be the rub too. Definitely hear you on the 60hz. I could concede a bit more on the HDR side and 1440p I'd be fine with. Like you said though even that market doesn't seem too big when it comes to reasonable pricing. Hopefully something that changes soonish though. 

6 minutes ago, Casual said:

Hmm, yeah I'd definitely want one that allows you to split the screen as opposed to black bars since a lot of the games I play I want a browser window open for one reason or another.

Yeah, I want to say most of them should do this already, but I have limited experience. :shrug:  Also, I main Fedora so driver support is out of the question. I do appreciate the multiple inputs being split on the screen.