Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Cis privilege

I understand that this forum had some problems with racism in the past, but I think the forum's transphobia went unaddressed. There are historically several trans people on SW, and they refuse to post on this forum because of the transphobia. I don't think we will ever win them back, but we need a more trans accommodating culture anyway.  

This isn't a thread to shame and blame people, though. Instead I wanted to discuss our cis privilege. I date a lot of transgender people and they constantly tell me that buying clothes in real life is a problem, especially at first, because the men's and womens clothing are so branded and segregated. Half of that is an appealing thing, but our culture is so transphobic that they constantly just feel blame just for shopping. Using the restroom is even harder, which is why a lot of places in Portland try to make desegregated gender neutral bathrooms. 

Do you ever talk about trans issues or cis privilege? Ever think about it? I'm glad I can order my clothing and years and years of measurements and style were made to make me look good... because I wear male clothing.

You guys understand it? discuss in the thread.