Soul Hackers 2 reviews

IGN and gamespot gave it a 7. Disappointing. They say the dungeons are unimaginative and the combat system is yet another rehash.

The devil summoner franchise has always been a series where Atlus thought more outside the box with ideas especially with the PS2 games which had action style combat and adventure style elements in pre rendered environments. 

To see Atlus now basically copy and paste the exact same gameplay for every game they release and just change asthetics is just sad

To see Atlus now basically copy and paste the exact same gameplay for every game they release and just change asthetics is just sad’ 

I said this a while ago and remember getting bashed for it :ben: the more of these games they release with minimal changes the more they’re harming the SMT series. 

Really excited for this. Haven't watched the review and I'm not planning to.

I find it strange that you're trying to past SMT has some kind of innovative series in the past when they have been doing the same shit since the 1990s. With some exceptions being the spin off games on PS2. Everything else is pretty similar, even Persona which is now more distinct than the main series because of the social elements, still started has just another SMT clone with first person dungeon crawling. Usually the change is either you have a party of humans, or a party of evolving monsters kinda like Pokemon. That's the two main distinctions going on among the SMT games. Lmao, and even the party based ones still has monster capturing/evolving elements to it.

It's not like I play a new Atlus game every year either so I'm still excited for the same old shit. I played P5 last-gen on PS4 and uh... If this was a mediocre action game like Raidou or that pos Persona 5 Strikers, I wouldn't give a shit. Turn based RPG or get the fuck out.

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

Really excited for this. Haven't watched the review and I'm not planning to.

I find it strange that you're trying to past SMT has some kind of innovative series in the past when they have been doing the same shit since the 1990s. With some exceptions being the spin off games on PS2. Everything else is pretty similar, even Persona which is now more distinct than the main series because of the social elements, still started has just another SMT clone with first person dungeon crawling. Usually the change is either you have a party of humans, or a party of evolving monsters kinda like Pokemon. That's the two main distinctions going on among the SMT games. Lmao, and even the party based ones still has monster capturing/evolving elements to it.

It's not like I play a new Atlus game every year either so I'm still excited for the same old shit. I played P5 last-gen on PS4 and uh... If this was a mediocre action game like Raidou or that pos Persona 5 Strikers, I wouldn't give a shit. Turn based RPG or get the fuck out.

I’ll give you that for the most part, 90s SMT followed this same sort of trend they’ve been going on now, but with the PS2 they started branching out in a lot more creative ways. 

From like 03 to like 09 they dropped bangers that all did enough to distinguish themselves in the SMT franchise and be their own thing.  The only one you could argue was playing it safe was Digital Devil Saga. 

But their run from Nocturne to persona 3 to devil summoner and then to devil survivor was all praised for their uniqueness while retaining that SMT style.

now every SMT is really all the same shit with a different coat of paint. 

So what I’m saying is they’ve regressed back to the 90s, or am I wrong?

10 minutes ago, Delita said:

I’ll give you that for the most part, 90s SMT followed this same sort of trend they’ve been going on now, but with the PS2 they started branching out in a lot more creative ways. 

From like 03 to like 09 they dropped bangers that all did enough to distinguish themselves in the SMT franchise and be their own thing.  The only one you could argue was playing it safe was Digital Devil Saga. 

But their run from Nocturne to persona 3 to devil summoner and then to devil survivor was all praised for their uniqueness while retaining that SMT style.

now every SMT is really all the same shit with a different coat of paint. 

So what I’m saying is they’ve regressed back to the 90s, or am I wrong?

Digital Devil Saga owned. :juggle:  

Atlus don't release as many games nowadays as it used to, you get less experimental spin offs that shakes thing up. I've seen many Japanese studios going through a similar phase in recent memory. 

Persona used to be an interesting side spin off too but it has become too popular for it's own good, they can't touch that formula anymore, hell it's far more popular than the main series ever will be from now on. I don't think it's that bad, but they're playing it safe and riding off the success of Persona 4-5, sure. 

Persona: Shin Megami Tensei VI *Featuring Vergil from DMC series*

The main series has become the spin off and vice versa. :megeman:

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

Digital Devil Saga owned. :juggle:  

Atlus don't release as many games nowadays as it used to, you get less experimental spin offs that shakes thing up. I've seen many Japanese studios going through a similar phase in recent memory. 

Persona used to be an interesting side spin off too but it has become too popular for it's own good, they can't touch that formula anymore, hell it's far more popular than the main series ever will be from now on. I don't think it's that bad, but they're playing it safe and riding off the success of Persona 4-5, sure. 

Persona: Shin Megami Tensei VI *Featuring Vergil from DMC series*

The main series has become the spin off and vice versa. :megeman:

They still experiment with Persona, look at Strikers. That game was an impressive change of pace and that unique vibe is one of the reasons why I preferred it to P5.

24 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

They still experiment with Persona, look at Strikers. That game was an impressive change of pace and that unique vibe is one of the reasons why I preferred it to P5.

Atlus might have been involved but it's mostly a Koei Tecmo produced game. It's not really indicative of anything, unless they'd start collaborating more often. 

32 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Atlus might have been involved but it's mostly a Koei Tecmo produced game. It's not really indicative of anything, unless they'd start collaborating more often. 

Atlus was heavily involved in the game's development. Omega Force wouldn't have been able to make a game anywhere near that good on their own.

btw, you liked Murant Year Zero right? Just started it on PC. Seems promising so far.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Atlus was heavily involved in the game's development. Omega Force wouldn't have been able to make a game anywhere near that good on their own.

btw, you liked Murant Year Zero right? Just started it on PC. Seems promising so far.

Still feels very much like a Koei Tecmo game production with Atlus supervision to me, just better.

Yeah it's a great little game. A bit unbalanced with the stealth but still really cool.