Starfield was supposed to release today

56 minutes ago, kaz said:

can we all agree that even though Bethesda gets negative rep for many reasons (many justified), jehurey's opinion on it (or anything really) is way worse? my god, reading his shit is so painful all  the time

I didn't even list an opinion on the game, I merely reminded people of how they reacted to the game. LOL Me citing factual things that happened and are accurate.

So intent to whine about me, that you don't even read posts correctly.

54 minutes ago, kaz said:

can we all agree that even though Bethesda gets negative rep for many reasons (many justified), jehurey's opinion on it (or anything really) is way worse? my god, reading his shit is so painful all  the time

I'm actually worried Bethesda might fuck this up. I don't doubt they can deliver a lot of content and a huge, well-crafted open world with attention to details but if they go the No Man Sky route and you can just explore tons of planets it's a whole other thing. 

Hopefully it's just Fallout in space, or a more ambitious The Outer Worlds. You know what I mean? 

• Haha 1

Did they ever get real-time game mechanics for leaving the planet and entering space? Or was that a load screen?

Because that was the most damning part about that 4chan leak that came out like 4 years ago, and how the game was in bad shape. I think most of that 4chan post ended up being right on the money.

And I have no doubt the space combat will be detrimental to the whole experience. It's probably going to be really gimmicky and lame. 

But I'm okay with that if it's not a huge part of the game.

Just now, jehurey said:

Did they ever get real-time game mechanics for leaving the planet and entering space? Or was that a load screen?

Because that was the most damning part about that 4chan leak that came out like 4 years ago, and how the game was in bad shape. I think most of that 4chan post ended up being right on the money.

Rofl, they can't even do seamless interiors like in Kingdom Come Deliverance. All the houses in Fallout 4 are separated by a loading. Granted it's quite old already but still, that was never Bethesda strong point. 

But at the end of the day, is that really important? I don't mind a brief loading, personally.   

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Rofl, they can't even do seamless interiors like in Kingdom Come Deliverance. All the houses in Fallout 4 are separated by a loading. Granted it's quite old already but still, that was never Bethesda strong point. 

But at the end of the day, is that really important? I don't mind a brief loading, personally.   

They need to be heavily criticized for them continuing to use that janky-ass engine that has been frankensteined beyond belief.

Its literally limiting what they can do in terms of gameplay.

Which makes me think Todd Howard has no interest in gameplay, its just "point gun, shoot" and just calculated numbers in the background, as you watch character models clip through each other and the environment.

Todd Howard is literally thinking "we'll just keep on adding more quests, dialogue branches, and hours of voiceover until people are impressed."

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They need to be heavily criticized for them continuing to use that janky-ass engine that has been frankensteined beyond belief.

Its literally limiting what they can do in terms of gameplay.

Which makes me think Todd Howard has no interest in gameplay, its just "point gun, shoot" and just calculated numbers in the background, as you watch character models clip through each other and the environment.

Todd Howard is literally thinking "we'll just keep on adding more quests, dialogue branches, and hours of voiceover until people are impressed."

I couldn't disagree more. The RPG elements are far more important here than fancy technological achievements.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

I couldn't disagree more. The RPG elements are far more important here than fancy technological achievements.

The RPG elements have hit a glass-cieling in Bethesda games. The game is expected to sell millions. Its not going to be a hardcore RPG, its going to be a crowd-pleasing satisfying to level up and get bigger loot type of RPG.

Might as well try to improve their game development in other areas.

They are lucky that CDPR misfired and rushed out Cyberpunk too fast.

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

I'm actually worried Bethesda might fuck this up. I don't doubt they can deliver a lot of content and a huge, well-crafted open world with attention to details but if they go the No Man Sky route and you can just explore tons of planets it's a whole other thing. 

Hopefully it's just Fallout in space, or a more ambitious The Outer Worlds. You know what I mean? 

what the fuck are you talking about 

you say:" I don't doubt they can deliver a lot of content and a huge, well-crafted open world with attention to details" and then even mention fallout in space/outer worlds from obsidian.

It will never get the quality of new vegas but it will  be more than enough to enjoy the premise. I really think strictly explorable sci-fi is lacking. This will be skyrim in space, I don't expect a deep combat system or anything nor a smart/funny direction in the narrative like new vegas. But just a simple game, to walk around and waste some time in it. lmfao.

everyone knows how it goes.....

59 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The RPG elements have hit a glass-cieling in Bethesda games. The game is expected to sell millions. Its not going to be a hardcore RPG, its going to be a crowd-pleasing satisfying to level up and get bigger loot type of RPG.

Might as well try to improve their game development in other areas.

They are lucky that CDPR misfired and rushed out Cyberpunk too fast.

Well, I do consider Elderscrolls, Fallout hardcore RPGs, or at least you can always make them as hardcore as you want with increased difficulty. Like I always turn on survival mode when there is one. FO4 had one. I'm fine with their current stuff, but I don't want to see another downgrade.

Of course, they will but that's not the whole point of this game.

Cyberpunk is trash has an open world RPG. So was Witcher 3.

Edited by Ramza
7 minutes ago, kaz said:

what the fuck are you talking about 

you say:" I don't doubt they can deliver a lot of content and a huge, well-crafted open world with attention to details" and then even mention fallout in space/outer worlds from obsidian.

It will never get the quality of new vegas but it will  be more than enough to enjoy the premise. I really think strictly explorable sci-fi is lacking. This will be skyrim in space, I don't expect a deep combat system or anything nor a smart/funny direction in the narrative like new vegas. But just a simple game, to walk around and waste some time in it. lmfao.

everyone knows how it goes.....

I don't put New Vegas open world on a pedestal. It's hardly the best one at that (nor the worst, that goes to Fallout 3, which I am playing right now). I fail to see what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. 

By Fallout in space, I mean post FO2 Fallout. Outer Worlds has issues but it's a fine example of a Bethesda style RPG in space.

I wasn't talking about the narrative. 

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I don't put New Vegas open world on a pedestal. It's hardly the best one at that (nor the worst, that goes to Fallout 3, which I am playing right now). I fail to see what the fuck YOU'RE talking about. 

By Fallout in space, I mean post FO2 Fallout. Outer Worlds has issues but it's a fine example of a Bethesda style RPG in space.

The outer world has nothing "in space" what are you talking about?

The first area is the only thing that is remotely fleshed out.

There is maybe one mission in which you visit a lab station, and that has a cool feel to it, but its just loading a level if we are being honest.

I think these games do not consider the aspect of space travel being something is that is primarily about pure survival, and needing resources to survive. It should feel oppressive to head out into space, and you need to gather the proper resources on whatever planet you are on so that you can make it to the next planet, or you will need to resort to calling for assistance, changing plans and going somewhere else, or pillaging for resources.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

The outer world has nothing "in space" what are you talking about?

The first area is the only thing that is remotely fleshed out.

There is maybe one mission in which you visit a lab station, and that has a cool feel to it, but its just loading a level if we are being honest.

I think these games do not consider the aspect of space travel being something is that is primarily about pure survival, and needing resources to survive. It should feel oppressive to head out into space, and you need to gather the proper resources on whatever planet you are on so that you can make it to the next planet, or you will need to resort to calling for assistance, changing plans and going somewhere else, or pillaging for resources.

Outer Worlds is a scifi RPG that place in a space colony on multiple planets. It had a pretty different style and was more humorous than something like you're describing but it still takes place in space.

Outer Worlds is just very limited in scope and budget though, I'm just saying if they can keep it classic but with a more ambitious graphics engine and most importantly not fall into gimmicky space exploration territory and space combat then I'll be happy. 

Because Bethesda straying too far from their established formula could easily be a disaster, imo. 

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

What the fuck are you talking about AGAIN. new vegas open world, huh? it sucks. fallout 3 base game too, trust me I replayed everything of it in 2016. I enjoyed some of the area design and even the dialogue. I always thought I am one of the rare ones that found some enjoyment in fallout 3 BUT my point still stands you mentioned what is realistically possible and what to expect from Starfield. A fucking theme park, mild RPG in the likes of Skyrim. It is exactly what I was just saying (and you as well). There won't be a focus on writing or anything like in oldschool Fallout. 

simply put the appeal is obviously in the sci-fi open world which will deliver.

24 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Can we be honest here, and admit that the open world design of New vegas is actually not that good?

The questlines are good. But FO3 had a much more interesting open world.

It has a few areas you could tell didn't get the same level of attention in New Vegas, I mean they did rush the game out the door in record time. Lots of cancelled content that didn't make the cut. But other than that, nah it's quite good and has more unique vistas than FO3. With just as much attention to details in general. It's a bit smaller in scope, I guess but it's also denser with more unique, interesting content.

FO3 is fucking awful though, there are so many paths blocked off by rubble making up invisible walls that you can't even jump above (I never seen that in any other Bethesda games...). And those areas forced you to go to into the same copy and paste subways to reach that other area you wanted to go to. I never spent so much time looking at a map in a Bethesda RPG before and I don't mean that in a good way. It's frustrating and the scenery is generally very dull and gray. I know it's a wasteland but geez. 

I never seen the DLC content, that's why I'm playing it right now, I want to reach that DLC with the redneck like zombies and the swamp area (I don't remember where it is supposed to be taking place, Louisiana? lol). I'm hoping those DLCs have more fun open worlds to explore than the base game.

On their merit has open world maps, I'd say in order:

Skyrim

Morrowind

New Vegas 

Fallout 4

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Imo. 

Edited by Ramza
6 hours ago, jehurey said:

Can we be honest here, and admit that the open world design of New vegas is actually not that good?

The questlines are good. But FO3 had a much more interesting open world.

Obsidian fanboys are a cult. No matter how many half baked games they release their fans will claim they're way more talented than any other RPG developer.