Academic freedom is dead. It used to be the far right, now it's the mainstream left.

https://www.commonsense.news/p/an-existential-threat-to-doing-good?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=260347&post_id=83017132&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email

As an evolutionary biologist, I am quite used to attempts to censor research and suppress knowledge. But for most of my career, that kind of behavior came from the right. In the old days, most students and administrators were actually on our side; we were aligned against creationists. Now, the threat comes mainly from the left.

The risk of cancellation at Williams College, where I have taught for 12 years, and at top colleges and universities throughout this country, is not theoretical. My fellow scientists and I are living it.

What is at stake is not simply our reputations, but our ability to pursue truth and scientific knowledge. 

If you had asked me about academic freedom five years ago, I would have complained about the obsession with race, gender and ethnicity, along with safetyism on campus (safe spaces, grade inflation, and so on). But I would not have expressed concerns about academic freedom.

Read it all. Stop sleeping walking into this. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

But in some biology 101 classes, teachers are telling students that sexes—not gender, sex—are on a continuum.

Lol I was like "random" when I read the OP but yeah it's about transpeople so of course... Cucke gonna Cucke. 

Is sex a continuum? Remember how we weren't supposed to conflate sex with gender? Now it's all the same thing apparently lol. 

Gender was emotional and behavioural and sex was the physical anatomy.  

And no this is not ABOUT trans people. It's about all sorts or now taboo subjects in universities. There aren't supposed to be taboo subjects at an institution of learning. Are you fucking kidding me? 

Edited by Cooke