Spider-Man 2 can be wishlisted on PSN apparently, new trailer must be coming very soon

Trailer potentially coming this week, or at least before the end of the year.  Insomniac devs are tweeting and hinting about it.

I can just imagine how unreal this game is going to look, especially during the set-pieces.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just hope its PS5 exclusive and not cross gen.

It is PS5 exclusive.  They've rewritten and updated entire parts of their engine to take advantage of the new hardware for SM2.

It's going to be on an entirely different level man.  Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales will look positively last gen compared to it.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Remij said:

It is PS5 exclusive.  They've rewritten and updated entire parts of their engine to take advantage of the new hardware for SM2.

It's going to be on an entirely different level man.  Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales will look positively last gen compared to it.

The environments looked great in the trailer

They need to go above and beyond though. There's no reason this game shouldn't have GTA like levels of effort and resources put into its open world considering the sales

12 minutes ago, Voidler said:

They need to go above and beyond though. There's no reason this game shouldn't have GTA like levels of effort and resources put into its open world considering the sales

They're definitely a generation better.  The lighting and materials are far better.

I don't understand why Spider-Man needs to do that however.  GTA's maps are meant to be a sandbox.  There's no reason for Spider-Man's general gameplay loop to have a bunch of shit like that which would distract you.  I feel it would be worthless when the energy put into designing the systems would take away from the things that really matter to a game like these.. such as the set-piece moments and such.

I think there'll be more variety in side-missions and general things to do and collect around the city.  I think the filler stuff like the car chases and trapped citizens will have more variety instead of essentially doing the same exact thing every time.  I also think that type of content will be more dynamic, and that NPCs and physics of everything will be much higher fidelity so the world will feel much more natural and alive.  A lot of the engine work they were doing for SM2 was meant to facilitate improved utilization of the CPU for streaming in content and improved physics.  Currently their engine is very single-thread bound, so they were limited in the amount of objects, physics, and AI routines they could implement.  The new game should massively improve that.

Edited by Remij
16 minutes ago, Voidler said:

eh, i dunno about that.

I get the feeling that GTA has entire departments working for years on A.I. scripting for NPCs, and for world building scripting.

and the game really doesn't get done until the people working on the central main campaign finishes their part.

Like GTA5 had this entire working script for the dock machinery. Entirely unnecessary, I think they included it in a main quest mission just to SHOW you that they had it in the game.

I don't think other games will spend that much programming time to stuff like that.

I will say I'm surprised a publisher, or Sony hasn't dedicated an entire studio to simply building open-world NPC A.I. and behavior engine, since they have multiple games that are open-world.

Thinking about that trailer from September of last year, I'm now thinking that it would be great if Insomniac, or maybe if they assist Sucker Punch, could use that same engine to bring back Infamous.

So that they have another open-world game with a satisfying traversal system, but its R-rated.

I want a superhero game that genuinely let's me play the alter ego. Give me Peter Parker gameplay where I can hop on a bike or drive a car and it controls well, make the world feel alive and Peter needs to live in it. Make it so hiding the identity is an actual part of the gameplay

Pull in the symbiote story to give players a good or evil dynamic that can justify if you want to do bad things in the game

Super hero games always go for this concept of militarised city or check pointed off by gangs/authorities which has been done to death

If you're going to make it in New York again then take GTA on and make it the most lived in, authentic and crazy sandbox

47 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I want a superhero game that genuinely let's me play the alter ego. Give me Peter Parker gameplay where I can hop on a bike or drive a car and it controls well, make the world feel alive and Peter needs to live in it. Make it so hiding the identity is an actual part of the gameplay

Pull in the symbiote story to give players a good or evil dynamic that can justify if you want to do bad things in the game

Super hero games always go for this concept of militarised city or check pointed off by gangs/authorities which has been done to death

If you're going to make it in New York again then take GTA on and make it the most lived in, authentic and crazy sandbox

oooh, make it like a RPG.

you start with one super power, and decide whether to commit crimes, or stop crime with it. And then you design your suit.

And then you have to deal with how you handle law enforcement and how the public sees you. And you have to make sure that the criminals don't discover your identity, along with the media and cops.

And then as you level up, you can probably grow your powers. But you also have to lay low, and make money the legal way, or the illegal way.

Am I describing that MMO from a few years ago?:mjgrin:

14 hours ago, jehurey said:

oooh, make it like a RPG.

you start with one super power, and decide whether to commit crimes, or stop crime with it. And then you design your suit.

And then you have to deal with how you handle law enforcement and how the public sees you. And you have to make sure that the criminals don't discover your identity, along with the media and cops.

And then as you level up, you can probably grow your powers. But you also have to lay low, and make money the legal way, or the illegal way.

Am I describing that MMO from a few years ago?:mjgrin:

What MMO?

16 hours ago, Voidler said:

That's a cool idea and all, but Insomniac aren't going to fuck with what works for them, and what allows them to pump out ~3 games every 2 years lol...

They have a solid foundation for Spidey games, but it just needs more variety.  I agree that they should put effort into making the city believable and more organic with vastly improved AI and randomized events happening.  But I don't think they need to make it a sandbox.  They could do some of what you said and weave it into the narrative they've created for sure... but I mean, I ain't trying to be going to school as Peter Parker taking tests and shit and needing to pass.. and then selecting choices from dialog trees with MJ trying to cover up my identity when she asks how I got there so quick :D