Overwatch 2 coming to Steam

Blizzard finally got some sense!  :lawd:

Overwatch 2 is confirmed as the first Blizzard game coming to Steam. They haven't confirmed what games will be coming next, and Battle.net is not going away (yet???). Nevertheless, this is a great step forward for Blizzard and PC gaming. After many years of publisher portals ruining PC gaming, it seems like most have recognized that Steam IS PC gaming.

Battle.net is the home of all our PC players, and over the years, we’ve evolved our platform to support updated technologies, capabilities, and our communities’ expectations. But as we’ve evolved, the industry has evolved too–gaming is no longer just for specific communities as it was when Battle.net launched over two decades ago, gaming is for everyone–and though we remain committed to continually investing in and supporting Battle.net, we want to break down the barriers to make it easier for players everywhere to find and enjoy our games.

Which is why we’re trying something new. 

We’re excited to announce that we are bringing a selection of our games to Steam, starting with Overwatch 2… which will be available on the platform on August 10!

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23982127/overwatch-2-coming-to-steam-on-august-10

Overwatch 2 is now wishlistable:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2357570/Overwatch_2/

PS: fuck Tim Sweeney and Epic Games Store.

Edited by sugarhigh
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

This is definitely big but its interesting that they're starting with Overwatch 2. Makes me think that game is not popular as it needs to be.

oh yeah, definitely not. but i'll be surprised if Diablo4 isn't on Steam by the end of the year.

this is the one good thing we get from the Activision merger, so enjoy it :loldance:

Tim Sweeney :gabelol:

I was going to make a post saying "It will probably just open up Battle.net and run through that, just like Uplay did... but then I saw this on my twitter timeline..

So I guess it's actual Steam integration.  That's pretty good.  

I have a feeling that once MS gets control of them, everything but World of Warcraft and Diablo will see actual Steam releases with full integration.  I think Diablo and WoW remain on Battle.net.. but if they do release on Steam, in those cases it will just open Bnet and run the game.  Those two are the biggest drivers for bnet by far.. and it was just recently revealed that removing COD from Steam in an attempt to grow Battle.net hurt the franchise quite a bit on PC.  I just can't see Diablo and WoW coming to Steam itself... because then Battle.net would completely die and MS would be paying Valve a slice instead of getting the whole thing themselves.

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

I was going to make a post saying "It will probably just open up Battle.net and run through that, just like Uplay did... but then I saw this on my twitter timeline..

So I guess it's actual Steam integration.  That's pretty good.  

I have a feeling that once MS gets control of them, everything but World of Warcraft and Diablo will see actual Steam releases with full integration.  I think Diablo and WoW remain on Battle.net.. but if they do release on Steam, in those cases it will just open Bnet and run the game.  Those two are the biggest drivers for bnet by far.. and it was just recently revealed that removing COD from Steam in an attempt to grow Battle.net hurt the franchise quite a bit on PC.  I just can't see Diablo and WoW coming to Steam itself... because then Battle.net would completely die and MS would be paying Valve a slice instead of getting the whole thing themselves.

It turns out nearly 60% of D4 sales are on Battle.net. That sounds like a win, but maybe they're thinking it could've been even bigger on Steam.

MS is already supporting Steam with their existing output. I think only Minecraft is not on Steam. I expected this to happen, but not so quickly.