Lords of the Fallen quality and perf modes: 1440/30 and 1080/60

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Not really sure whats so mind blowing about that. Its mostly just good texture work. PC games back in the day use to have sharp textures on objects like those before consoles became the focus and games started having downgraded textures because of their limited memory.

You're mistaken.. lmao.  Those assets are 5-60 million polys each...  That's not texture work... that's geometry.

But hey, if you're not impressed then you're not impressed.  Just hold your judgement until actual products which are really utilizing the technology have been released.. (and that doesn't mean any UE5 game... UE5 games don't need to use Nanite/Lumen)

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

You're mistaken.. lmao.  Those assets are 5-60 million polys each...  That's not texture work... that's geometry.

But hey, if you're not impressed then you're not impressed.  Just hold your judgement until actual products which are really utilizing the technology have been released.. (and that doesn't mean any UE5 game... UE5 games don't need to use Nanite/Lumen)

The higher poly count is completely unnecessary though, you're just reaching diminishing returns at that point. You can still have high quality texture work with a much lower poly count and achieve mostly the same effect. You would need to zoom in to a completely unreasonable level (far beyond what you can even do in the average game) in order to see much of a difference. And at that point the extra work just doesn't seem worth it.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The higher poly count is completely unnecessary though, you're just reaching diminishing returns at that point. You can still have high quality texture work with a much lower poly count and achieve mostly the same effect. You would need to zoom in to a completely unreasonable level (far beyond what you can even do in the average game) in order to see much of a difference. And at that point the extra work just doesn't seem worth it.

It's not completely unnecessary... it's what allows you to have truly seamless LODs... and true geometry which isn't just textures with normal maps..

You're completely misunderstanding things.  And on top of that.. it allows developers to not have to author different LODs for assets and instead just make the highest resolution asset possible and let the engine crunch it down..

8 hours ago, Remij said:

It's not completely unnecessary... it's what allows you to have truly seamless LODs... and true geometry which isn't just textures with normal maps..

You're completely misunderstanding things.  And on top of that.. it allows developers to not have to author different LODs for assets and instead just make the highest resolution asset possible and let the engine crunch it down..

So when you look at Lords of The Fallen, do you really think its a game thats benefitting from that tech? Because while it looks good, there's little about the visuals that stands out compared to the average current gen game nowadays. At least to me.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

So when you look at Lords of The Fallen, do you really think its a game thats benefitting from that tech? Because while it looks good, there's little about the visuals that stands out compared to the average current gen game nowadays. At least to me.

I think that game is utilizing the tech, but to a very limited degree.  I think the game looks quite good for a company of their size... but that they don't have the budget to make extremely stupidly detailed and geometrically rich models.  They have to be smart with their budget, and so that plays into it.

I think you'll see what UE5 can do when The Coalition shows off their next game (prob Gears 6) and studios like CDProjectRED with The Witcher.  Nanite + Lumen + Substrate is going to be potent.

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1
11 minutes ago, Remij said:

I think that game is utilizing the tech, but to a very limited degree.  I think the game looks quite good for a company of their size... but that they don't have the budget to make extremely stupidly detailed and geometrically rich models.  They have to be smart with their budget, and so that plays into it.

I think you'll see what UE5 can do when The Coalition shows off their next game (prob Gears 6) and studios like CDProjectRED with The Witcher.  Nanite + Lumen + Substrate is going to be potent.

that is going to look sick!

• aitch 1