official fitness thread 2024

Yeah it worked. It might just not work in the chatbox

The little home gym i've been setting up in my basement is coming along nicely. I've got a spin bike, a barbell set with numerous plates totaling up to 250lb, a little all-in-one rack that can be used for squats, OHPs, and Bench Presses, and most recently I added some dip bars and a plyo box

I've expanded my full body routine because of the extra equipment and below is what it looks like. Its kind of a frankenstein of routine but it felt good the one day I tried it. It was only my 2nd time doing deadlifts and my form was awful though. My back wasn't too rounded but it was basically nearly parallel with the ground and I wasn't keeping a neutral spine so I gotta improve my hip hinging

2x alternating reverse lunges (I feel like these might be good as a warmup before deadlifts which is why I do them first)

3x Deadlifts

2x Barbell Hip Thrusts (first time trying these the other day and they're harder than I thought. Props to the chicks who routinely do these :ben:)

2x Standard Push Ups

2x Neutral Grip Pull Ups

2x Military/Close Grip Push Ups

2x Chin Ups

2x Dips (used to do tricep focused diamond push ups instead but everyone's now saying those don't actually work your triceps much over regular push ups and can be strenuous for your shoulders) 

2x standard Pull Ups

2x unilateral shoulder press

2x unilateral Bench preacher curls

Im in the gym 3x a week for proper muscle group focused workouts but I might also just start doing leg day at home. I would just be finding alternatives for leg presses and leg extensions, and im thinking additional sets of barbell squats and some romanian deadlifts would basically have the same effect.

• Upvote 1

ok, I realized today that deadlifts are actually really exhausting. I was winded for most of my workout. Since the back is one of the major muscle groups they work im going to just reduce all my pull up sets by 1 as I feel like I don't need the extra volume.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

ok, I realized today that deadlifts are actually really exhausting. I was winded for most of my workout. Since the back is one of the major muscle groups they work im going to just reduce all my pull up sets by 1 as I feel like I don't need the extra volume.

I like stiff legged deadlifts more. You don’t need much weight, and you really feel it in the glutes and hammies. 

If you are going to make DLs a regular thing, I would do a more minimalist program, mainly doing squat/lunge, bench press, row and deadlift exercises. You can add a set of light shoulder press and pull ups too, as finishers, but the first 4 should be your bread and butter. Stick to slow and controlled reps ( 4-7 per set). High reps are going to drain you, but you can do 8-12 reps if you prefer. As for arms, they will get big if you are doing compound lifts correctly. Once you hit your desired size, then you can re-evaluate your body and add exercises that address lagging areas (like adding lateral raises, tricep extensions or swapping a flat bench day with an incline one).

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I like stiff legged deadlifts more. You don’t need much weight, and you really feel it in the glutes and hammies. 

If you are going to make DLs a regular thing, I would do a more minimalist program, mainly doing squat/lunge, bench press, row and deadlift exercises. You can add a set of light shoulder press and pull ups too, as finishers, but the first 4 should be your bread and butter. Stick to slow and controlled reps ( 4-7 per set). High reps are going to drain you, but you can do 8-12 reps if you prefer. As for arms, they will get big if you are doing compound lifts correctly. Once you hit your desired size, then you can re-evaluate your body and add exercises that address lagging areas (like adding lateral raises, tricep extensions or swapping a flat bench day with an incline one).

Are stiff legs better than RDLs for glutes/hamstrings?

I would liked to incorporate bench presses but im pretty sure I still can't do those without significant shoulder pain. That's why i've been opting for some sets of different push up variations. If not for those I wouldn't be able to get any chest training.

I'd say right now my weakpoints are my shoulders, chest, and forearms. Im actually curious to see how deadlifts impact my forearm strength/size/grip as those are things I need to work on. I actually bought straps recently but im going to avoid using them for now as I should try to improve my grip instead of just focusing on lifting as heavy as possible.

Im wondering if I need to incorporate direct forearm work or just do something simpler like end every workout by hanging from a bar or doing some farmers walks.

7 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Are stiff legs better than RDLs for glutes/hamstrings?

I would liked to incorporate bench presses but im pretty sure I still can't do those without significant shoulder pain. That's why i've been opting for some sets of different push up variations. If not for those I wouldn't be able to get any chest training.

I'd say right now my weakpoints are my shoulders, chest, and forearms. Im actually curious to see how deadlifts impact my forearm strength/size/grip as those are things I need to work on. I actually bought straps recently but im going to avoid using them for now as I should try to improve my grip instead of just focusing on lifting as heavy as possible.

Im wondering if I need to incorporate direct forearm work or just do something simpler like end every workout by hanging from a bar or doing some farmers walks.

Try neutral grip dumbbell press. They are easy on the shoulders. 

as for stiff legged DLs, I definitely feel it more in the hamstrings. 

• Upvote 1

had a man cold for like 2 weeks. finally back to the gym and i feel weak as shit, worst week of workouts in a while. i know it'll come back quick but it's annoying for sure.

15 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Try neutral grip dumbbell press. They are easy on the shoulders. 

as for stiff legged DLs, I definitely feel it more in the hamstrings. 

I was actually researching swiss bars the other day because I thought about how a neutral grip could help. They seem like a good alternative to traditional barbells

But ill try neutral grip dumbbells first and see how those feel. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was actually researching swiss bars the other day because I thought about how a neutral grip could help. They seem like a good alternative to traditional barbells

But I’ll try neutral grip dumbbells first and see how those feel. 

The neutral grip dumbbell press helped me a lot when I had shoulder issues. Another tip is doing floor bench press. You are guaranteed to never go too deep, making things favorable for shoulder health. However, since getting into place can be a bit awkward, this is where I would recommend higher reps and lower weight (8-12 reps). 

• Upvote 1

So im going to try doing a full leg workout at home now that I have enough equipment. The gyms are just too packed nowadays and I'd like to try and simplify my routine a bit. I like leg presses but I don't think I really need them if I focus on barbell squats. I also think RDLs will be a good enough alternative to leg extensions/curls

So here is what my leg day is going to look like

Reverse alternating lunges

Barbell Squats

RDLs

Hip Thrusts

Calf Raises

I just need to figure out the best way to do calf raises. Should I just stack up a few weight plates and then dip my heels off of the edge while holding dumbbells? 

edit: the weight plates didn’t work out. Not enough surface area and my feet weren’t level. I think I’m gonna try a small stack of books, that might work.