My launch day switch has died

The USB c port is no longer accepting a charge from the dock or any cable 😔.  Fuck do I buy an OLED or just not play switch for the next 10-12 months? 

If it's not accepting any charge from the Dock, then it's not an issue with the USB C port itself... I was going to suggest just fixing it yourself if it was just a break in the solder on the pins that connect the port to the motherboard.  Happens lots with USB C ports.  I just recently (a few months ago) fixed one of my Xbox Series controllers which would only connect if I pushed the connected cable far in one direction in the port.  It would flex the port and make the connection to the pins.  So I took it apart and resoldered the one pin that wasn't connected and worked good as new.

Your issue sounds like the power delivery chip or a capacitor is fucked.  I wouldn't buy a new Switch anymore and just wait for the new console myself.  But hey, take it apart and see what you can see?  Maybe it's fixable.

Edited by Remij

Just more evidence nintendos hardware quality dropped significantly with the switch.  I just got my third or fourth joycon replaced only to find out the other joycon has some slight drift as well. I'm over the switch.

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

If it's not accepting any charge from the Dock, then it's not an issue with the USB C port itself... I was going to suggest just fixing it yourself if it was just a break in the solder on the pins that connect the port to the motherboard.  Happens lots with USB C ports.  I just recently (a few months ago) fixed one of my Xbox Series controllers which would only connect if I pushed the connected cable far in one direction in the port.  It would flex the port and make the connection to the pins.  So I took it apart and resoldered the one pin that wasn't connected and worked good as new.

Your issue sounds like the power delivery chip or a capacitor is fucked.  I wouldn't buy a new Switch anymore and just wait for the new console myself.  But hey, take it apart and see what you can see?  Maybe it's fixable.

I was planning on hacking it and boosting the clock speeds for fun. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, poopy_butt said:

Just more evidence nintendos hardware quality dropped significantly with the switch.  I just got my third or fourth joycon replaced only to find out the other joycon has some slight drift as well. I'm over the switch.

I never experienced drift. But this thing is 7 years old with thousands of hours on it. It's gone everywhere. It's a mobile device. Imagine still using a phone from 2017. Oh yeah and it was less than half the price of an iPhone. 

Edited by Cooke